Last Updated on Octobet 21, 1999
NVIDIA GeForce 256 Review
This is an overview of the system configuration used in conducting the benchmarks in this review and notes on interpreting the results.
The Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) benchmark results are based on the following set of drivers:
- GL Quake - Diamond version 4.10.01.0239
- Quake 2 - Diamond version 4.10.01.0255
- Kingpin and Expendable - NVIDIA Detonator 1.15 (Microsoft WHQL Certified)
Note: The Quake 2 and Kingpin benchmark results for the Viper V550 at 1600x1200 in 32-bit color are estimates as they failed to run.  The estimates are based on the their corresponding 16-bit results, which ran correctly, plus factoring the performance loss of running in 32-bit color.
The Test System:
Operating System and Drivers:
- Intel Pentium II-450MHz
- 128 MB Hitachi PC100 SDRAM
- Abit BH6 440BX Motherboard
- Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) AGP 16MB
- Diamond Viper V770 Ultra (TNT2) AGP 32MB
- GeForce 256 - NVIDIA SDRAM Reference Board AGP 32MB
- Hitachi Superscan Supreme 752 - 75Hz Refresh Rate
- Seagate Medalst Pro 6.4GB 7200RPM HDD
- Viper V550 - Windows 98 with DirectX 6.1
- Viper V770 Ultra - Windows 98 with DirectX 7.0
- GeForce 256 - Windows 98 with DirectX 7.0
- Viper V770 Ultra - NVIDIA version 4.11.01.0188
- GeForce 256 - NVIDIA version 4.12.01.0348
- GL Quake version 0.97
- Quake 2 version 3.20
- Quake 3 version 1.08
- Kingpin demo version 0.22N
- Expendable demo version 1.0
- Indy3D version 3.0
- Glaze version 3.1
- 3D Exercizer version 1.0
- 3D WinMark 99 version 2.1
- 3D WinMark 2000 version 1.0
- Whole Experience (DMZG) demo
VSYNC and sound were disabled for all benchmarks with the exception of 3D WinMark 99 and 3D WinMark 2000 where VSYNC was enabled.  Specific benchmark configurations and settings appear on the benchmark result pages.
Interpreting Benchmark Results
Benchmark results are presented with a bar chart.  Unless otherwise stated, the X coordinate indicates frames per second and the Y coordinate is the resolution the benchmark was run in.  The charts contain red, yellow, and green bars.
Red bar - results from the GeForce 256 running at its default clock speed (120MHz core/166MHz memory)
Yellow bar - results from the V770 Ultra running at overclocked speeds (175Mhz/200MHz)
Green bar - results from the Viper V550 running at its default clock speed (90MHz/110Mhz)
There is also a benchmark results summary page which shows the percentage increase/loss of the GeForce 256 over the TNT2 Ultra and TNT. Note that some benchmarks do not include results from all 3 graphics cards.
Next: Benchmark Results Summary
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners.