PDA

View Full Version : Placing subwoofer near case

Kain
10-09-07, 02:14 PM
Is it bad to place a subwoofer near the case? It is bad for the hard drives and/or other hardware?

HiCZoK4
10-09-07, 02:17 PM
I have my subwoofer 40cm near case ...I was wondering of this too

Q
10-09-07, 02:21 PM
Bad, bad, BAD idea.

Even if it is magnetically shielded, I severley doubt that 100% of the magnet is being blocked. This can cause problems with the machine's operation overall, not just data loss on the hard drives. Magnets affect the transmission of electric signals and would likely cause some random quirkiness.

But assuming it IS 100% shielded, you are still going to vibrate the hell out of your machine. The biggest problem would be with the hard drive's heads crashing into the disk, but I would think the loosening of screws, heatsinks, etc. would be enough of an incentive to move the sub.

Kain
10-09-07, 02:31 PM
What's the recommended minimum distance you should have between the subwoofer and case?

evilghost
10-09-07, 02:38 PM
I've put a bulk eraser on a HDD before, no damage, no data loss. The bulk eraser was so powerful it destroyed monitors.

Vibrations are bad, they're more likely to cause damage than the magnetic field.

Bman212121
10-09-07, 02:44 PM
What's the recommended minimum distance you should have between the subwoofer and case?

The sub for the logitech Z-5500's has a warning on it saying that you need to keep it at least 2 feet away from any electronics. That would probably be a good distance for most subs.

Q
10-09-07, 02:45 PM
I've put a bulk eraser on a HDD before, no damage, no data loss. The bulk eraser was so powerful it destroyed monitors.

You're ****ting me. (Astonished tone, not ridicule)

We used to have some industrial magnet thing here at work that was used for clearing drives. This was years ago, but it did a pretty good job. I've always heard anecdotal evidence (the fired woman who took a magnet through her workplace, etc), but this was the real deal.

It's good to know that drives are more resistant than I had thought....

evilghost
10-09-07, 02:57 PM
You're ****ting me. (Astonished tone, not ridicule)

We used to have some industrial magnet thing here at work that was used for clearing drives. This was years ago, but it did a pretty good job. I've always heard anecdotal evidence (the fired woman who took a magnet through her workplace, etc), but this was the real deal.

It's good to know that drives are more resistant than I had thought....

I had a co-worker that was a real butt to me and I had been reading BOFH at the time. I did get his stack of floppies, I figured the bulk eraser would at least lift the heads off the platter; no damage. I was disappointed. His monitor didn't survive.

ViN86
10-09-07, 03:54 PM
I had a co-worker that was a real butt to me and I had been reading BOFH at the time. I did get his stack of floppies, I figured the bulk eraser would at least lift the heads off the platter; no damage. I was disappointed. His monitor didn't survive.
reason #231 that i dont **** with evilghost.

CaptNKILL
10-09-07, 05:30 PM
I've never had any problems with magnets related to computer hardware other than CRT monitors. And even with monitors, degaussing them has fixed any distortion\discoloration caused by extended exposure to magnets (2 6x9 speakers sitting on the top shelf in a cabinet... and a monitor on top of the cabinet for about 6 months... oops :o ).

I have a Z-5500 and the sub doesn't appear to have effected any of the hardware around it.

The sub will mess with a compass from 2 feet away, but I have had several computers sitting within inches of the sub (and 2 CRT monitors on the desk about 1.5 feet above it) and never had a single problem.

Q
10-09-07, 05:33 PM
reason #231 that i dont **** with evilghost.

I don't **** with anyone, even I've known them forever. The smell is awful and I think it would just be a little awkward, to be perfectly honest.

But really, I'm glad that you found reason #231. I'd hate to know the other 230.

Bearclaw
10-09-07, 05:39 PM
I don't **** with anyone, even I've known them forever. The smell is awful and I think it would just be a little awkward, to be perfectly honest.

But really, I'm glad that you found reason #231. I'd hate to know the other 230.
LOL!

I have my PC, then my desk and then my sub on the other side. I would say the total distance, and width of the desk is around 3 feet so I am assuming I am ok...

crainger
10-09-07, 06:01 PM
I live on the ceiling and everything is held in place by magnets? I assume I'm safe after Evilghost's nifty story.

ViN86
10-09-07, 06:59 PM

you missed the preposition in there. :wonder:

Aphot
10-09-07, 09:35 PM
I've had my pc about 3 feet away from my subwoofer for about a year and I haven't had any problems with vibration.

Rakeesh
10-09-07, 09:52 PM
I have my PC and my sub only separated by a 4" wall (the PC is inside of the closet.)

They are both sitting on wood flooring though, so regardless of where I put the PC, it is going to feel the vibrations of my sub. Especially given that my sub drops down to the 27hz range at ~60db (guestimate.)

I don't really care though, I don't foresee any problems with it.

evilghost
10-09-07, 10:16 PM
I actually installed my computer inside a subwoofer with a constant 60Hz hum while pointing a 2.4Ghz magnetron at it I built from a 802.11b parabolic while installing Vista with 4GB of RAM and then later the Crysis Beta and didn't have any BSOD's or stability issues.

That's how I not only lace the track but also lock the flow.

Q
10-09-07, 11:10 PM
I actually installed my computer inside a subwoofer with a constant 60Hz hum while pointing a 2.4Ghz magnetron at it I built from a 802.11b parabolic while installing Vista with 4GB of RAM and then later the Crysis Beta and didn't have any BSOD's or stability issues.

That's how I not only lace the track but also lock the flow.

Nice.

Q
10-09-07, 11:11 PM
you missed the preposition in there. :wonder:

....even IF I've known....

XDanger
10-10-07, 03:05 PM
I actually installed my peanuts inside a subwoofer with a constant 60Hz hum while pointing a 2.4Ghz magnetron at it I built from a 802.11b parabolic while installing my Sista with a 4ft RAM and then later the Cryin sis beat me and didn't have any BSOD's or stability issues.

That's how I not only lace the crack but also block the flow.

Capt. Picard
10-10-07, 03:21 PM
I don't have a subwoofer to place near my PC or monitor. :(

DRen72
10-10-07, 03:34 PM
I actually installed my peanuts inside a subwoofer with a constant 60Hz hum while pointing a 2.4Ghz magnetron at it I built from a 802.11b parabolic while installing my Sista with a 4ft RAM and then later the Cryin sis beat me and didn't have any BSOD's or stability issues.

That's how I not only lace the crack but also block the flow.A warrant has been issued for your arrest.

Capt. Picard
10-10-07, 03:41 PM

That's how I not only lace the crack but also block the flow.

You are on the verge of being incarcerated and excommunicated from this forum. You have a filthy mind. :D :p

XDanger
10-10-07, 06:03 PM
You are on the verge of being incarcerated and excommunicated from this forum. You have a filthy mind. :D :p
Gosh! :eek:

I havent used my 5.1's sub much since it started doing this weird feedback thing ,slowly getting louder till I have to switch the thing off ,I think it would splode if I dont.