PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for help! New build wont work!

Cynickilla
10-09-07, 06:36 PM
Hi guys... man this is a sad day.. i worked my ass of to get my new dream pc and today i started building it .. finally!
But loads of hours later when i was ready to start it up for the first time(was taking it slow and ez) i found that i must have foked up big time =(

The CPU fan dont work. Its connected but when i start the pc the fan moves a few mm then stops. Its not jammed or anything.

So i plugged in my screen to the 8800GTX to see if i could get into bios anyway. Dont dare to have the pc running without cpu fan for more than a minute but the screen do start ( it goes into sleeping mode) just like that card dosnt work either.

All fans are working. I really dont know what to do.. where to start or anything. Damn i really need your advice.
Is there anyway to check if the cpu FAN is broken? I dont have any more places on my mobo to plug it in.

Big thanx Cyn.

Case: Antec P180B
Gigabyte DS4
Q6600
8800GTX

Dragunov
10-09-07, 06:38 PM
Still another fan overthere?

Cynickilla
10-09-07, 06:49 PM
Still another fan overthere?

Yeah the case has three 120mm fans.
I dont have any other fanst to try for the cpu.

You guys think that the mobo is focked up or just the cpu fan?
I got a bit scared when the screen didnt start just as the new graphic card didnt work either even tho the fan is running in the card.
//Cyn

ViN86
10-09-07, 06:52 PM
if it doesnt boot, it's probably the mobo.

methimpikehoses
10-09-07, 07:26 PM
What type of cpu fan is it?

PaiN
10-09-07, 07:32 PM
I know its simple...but I have to ask. Once it was built and together did you do a bios clear and reset, before attempting to start it?

Cynickilla
10-10-07, 05:10 AM
Hi guys!

Its a Q6600 orginal cooler and fan.

I have not tried to clear the bios.. should i do it?

wysiwyg
10-10-07, 05:33 AM
yes.

also check your memory is seated properly

DRen72
10-10-07, 08:13 AM
Sounds like the power supply isn't connected all the way. What about the 12v 4-pin socket? or the dual 12v rails on the GTX?

ynnek
10-10-07, 02:27 PM
about the CPU fan, if its anything like the DS3 bios, there's a setting in there that changes the way the mobo controls the CPU fan. Try the other setting.

Capt. Picard
10-10-07, 02:38 PM
about the CPU fan, if its anything like the DS3 bios, there's a setting in there that changes the way the mobo controls the CPU fan. Try the other setting.

But then he has to risk running the PC for a while without the fan while changing the setting. Personally if I have a Q6600 I would have all systems divert power to the CPU deflector shield. I would even have it wrapped in cotton wool if it didn't overheat the CPU.

ynnek
10-10-07, 02:59 PM
But then he has to risk running the PC for a while without the fan while changing the setting. Personally if I have a Q6600 I would have all systems divert power to the CPU deflector shield. I would even have it wrapped in cotton wool if it didn't overheat the CPU.

True.. I'm actually surprised that by default, the gigabyte default setting didn't work on my stock intel HSF either. Interestingly, a friend that also has a DS3 said he didn't have to fiddle with the setting to get his stock HSF working.

However, since I have a p180 case, the two fans there were more than enough to cool my cpu while i fiddled with the setting.

I'm still not clear if his system is fully booting up or not, the wording isn't clear.

I remember on one of my previous builds, I jammed the 4 pin power connector for a 3.5" floppy drive on wrong (tight SFF case) and the power supply would refuse to boot the system up until I fixed that.

Cynickilla
10-11-07, 03:27 AM
Hi guys!
Well i feel so damn stupid.. but heres the truth. I had forgot to plug in the fourpin powersupply that gives the cpu the extra power it needs. Ive never seen anything like that before but it makes sense. The cpus are so powerful right now that they need power direcly to help it run correctly.
//Cyn

Saintster
10-11-07, 04:18 AM
Most of us have done that.

wysiwyg
10-11-07, 04:38 AM
Yeah the case has three 120mm fans.
I dont have any other fanst to try for the cpu.

You guys think that the mobo is focked up or just the cpu fan?
I got a bit scared when the screen didnt start just as the new graphic card didnt work either even tho the fan is running in the card.
//Cyn

owned: :D

DRen72
10-11-07, 08:16 AM
Hi guys!
Well i feel so damn stupid.. but heres the truth. I had forgot to plug in the fourpin powersupply that gives the cpu the extra power it needs. Ive never seen anything like that before but it makes sense. The cpus are so powerful right now that they need power direcly to help it run correctly.
//Cyn Thats what I thought. (See post above) :)