PDA

View Full Version : 680i now vs 780i when?

darkbluesky
10-10-07, 01:41 PM
Hello,

I am upgrading my rig, and so I have post here some questions for the last few weeks. Now, I have almost defined my rig and bought some components.

EVGA 680i SLI A1 mobo*
Q6600 or E6750 (still to decide)
2Gb OCZ 900 MHz or 1066 Sli Ready (still to decide)
2 x 7900 GTX* (I go for last generation GPUs because they are the best ones that still work for stereoscopic gaming)
Silverstone DA850W PSU*
CoolerMaster 690*

*Already bought.

But now I have known that the new 780i chipset is going to be released this November, and as my EVGA680i is still sealed, I'm wondering if I should change it/wait for a eVGA 780i.

AFAIK, the best improvements are the use of PCI 2.0 and 3-SLI. Personally, I think that PCI 2.0 is useless except for some 9800Ultra (and still) or something like that, which is still far away from my budget and I guess far from stereo support too.

On the other hand 3-SLI I guess is going to work for newer GPUs (not like mines), and at side of this, I think I could be interested ONLY if they supported better stereoscopic gaming, and if they allowed to be used for 3 monitor setups AND stereoscopic gaming. Looking to the support that NVIDIA has put to S-3D (stereo 3D) gaming up to now I see highly unlikely that it gets better in the next year or so.

I do not discard to upgrade the CPU during next year, and maybe the GPUs Xmas'08 or later, if Nvidia S-3D support for 8xxx series (maybe 9xxx) improves.

At side of this, do you think it is worth to wait for the 780i eVGA mobos? I think that in mid-November the chipset will be released officially, but the eVGA mobo will be available later, I'm afraid several months later (2-3 months? or Am I wrong?), so this could take too long.

Well, I don't know if return to seller and wait for an eventual eVGA 780i or not.

Could you please, tell me your advice? Tx

Labyrinth
10-10-07, 02:19 PM
Who says "780i" will be released this Nov.? I've never heard of that.

DRen72
10-10-07, 03:31 PM
Who says "780i" will be released this Nov.? I've never heard of that.Lots of sources online...here is one for example

http://www.hardspell.com/english/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=1494

darkbluesky
10-11-07, 01:44 AM
Bump?

LORD-eX-Bu
10-11-07, 01:51 AM
yeah, dual x8 PCIE 2.0 slots for SLI on 750 :rofl

great source, who wrote that, kevpla?! :lol:

darkbluesky
10-12-07, 04:20 AM
Maybe I should keep it and, if 780i performs well in reviews, sell it together with the Q6600 and upgrade to some new Q9xxx and 780i? I guess I could always do that... and a 680i is now a well known and supported mobo, meanwhile a 780i is (will be when released) a new product still far of being mature... Even I could get trapped waiting for eVGA 780i mobo more time than thought, and the rest of components waiting in the shelf...

Dunno what to do... :(

LORD-eX-Bu
10-12-07, 05:34 AM
does EVGA have a step-up program for its mainboard? If so, you could buy the 680i and if the 780i comes out in the next 90 days you can upgrade, don't know, you'd have to ask JAkup, I could be wrong.

Blacklash
10-12-07, 06:10 AM
Q6600 G-0 gets my vote for the CPU, unless you want to wait for the Quad Penryns. They OC very well-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2410961&postcount=2

And here a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz is passing up an E6850 @ 3.85GHz in games not optimized for quad-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_8.html#sect0

Needless to say when they are it does. Check the last chart :p

darkbluesky
10-12-07, 06:28 AM
Q6600 G-0 gets my vote for the CPU, unless you want to wait for the Quad Penryns. They OC very well-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2410961&postcount=2

And here a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz is passing up an E6850 @ 3.85GHz in games not optimized for quad-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_8.html#sect0

Needless to say when they are it does. Check the last chart :p

Yes, this xbitlabs review has decided me to go for the Q6600 (to which I had already some preference). So now, I will go for the Q6600 G0.

Waiting for the new Qxxxx... this would be waiting for the new rig about about 4.5-5 months (until february), then I could go for the 780i too, but I wanted to build my system now, and eventually change the CPU or other things later (selling old - buying new).

About the EVGA step-up program, in evga home page they say that it is for graphic cards. So nothing about mobos.

I am not sure, maybe I should keep it...?

Delbert
10-12-07, 09:40 AM
Won't PCI 2.0 benefit those that use GFX cards with less memory due to the transfer speed from main memory being quicker.... that turbocache thing?

darkbluesky
10-12-07, 04:12 PM
Won't PCI 2.0 benefit those that use GFX cards with less memory due to the transfer speed from main memory being quicker.... that turbocache thing?

Don't know, really...

Absolution
10-12-07, 04:31 PM

why would you get a high end motherboard with a really really low end graphics card . . .

and turbo cache is mainly a gimick, hardly worth mentioning cause your not going to be gaming on those things anyway

darkbluesky
10-13-07, 03:55 AM
why would you get a high end motherboard with a really really low end graphics card . . .

and turbo cache is mainly a gimick, hardly worth mentioning cause your not going to be gaming on those things anyway

Are you sure of what you say? Maybe do you think that do not playing Crysis or other hot release game with top detail is not gaming? Gaming world is really wider, many different tastes and preferences... :rolleyes:

At side of lack of DX10 and SM4 (there are many games supporting DX9 and SM3 still and it will be for some time), I would not say that a single 7900GTX is really really low end, when it surpass without problems any 8600GT/GTS version and comes near in many cases (or even match in some case) the 8800GTS. 2 x 7900GTX in SLI (if game support it, of course) surpass a single 8800GTS almost always for the moment. Not to be defined as a really really low end card for now...IMO. Simply it does not support new techs (DX10, SM4), that's all. A card that deserves that calificative is something like a 8400 or so. At side of technical excellences/flaws it should be kept in mind that these 2 7900GTX sealed, were for 275 the pair. Anyway, each one has his opinions.

Anyway I get your point: it is not so important to get the last hot mobo with a "not so hot" (or "shorter life") GPUs. Ok. It is logical. But, as you can see in the "GPU buying diagram" shown here, the "old generation" gpus in SLI is only a stand-by solution, until new generation GPUs become stereo 3D compatible, so I consider eventually changing them while keeping the rest of the rig (mobo, etc...).

Going back on topic: it seems not too much interesting the new 780i for what people says. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160521

"GPU buying diagram" :rolleyes: :
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=6285n7XME&i=1071000

Absolution
10-14-07, 03:56 AM
Are you sure of what you say? Maybe do you think that do not playing Crysis or other hot release game with top detail is not gaming? Gaming world is really wider, many different tastes and preferences... :rolleyes:

At side of lack of DX10 and SM4 (there are many games supporting DX9 and SM3 still and it will be for some time), I would not say that a single 7900GTX is really really low end, when it surpass without problems any 8600GT/GTS version and comes near in many cases (or even match in some case) the 8800GTS. 2 x 7900GTX in SLI (if game support it, of course) surpass a single 8800GTS almost always for the moment. Not to be defined as a really really low end card for now...IMO. Simply it does not support new techs (DX10, SM4), that's all. A card that deserves that calificative is something like a 8400 or so. At side of technical excellences/flaws it should be kept in mind that these 2 7900GTX sealed, were for 275 the pair. Anyway, each one has his opinions.

Anyway I get your point: it is not so important to get the last hot mobo with a "not so hot" (or "shorter life") GPUs. Ok. It is logical. But, as you can see in the "GPU buying diagram" shown here, the "old generation" gpus in SLI is only a stand-by solution, until new generation GPUs become stereo 3D compatible, so I consider eventually changing them while keeping the rest of the rig (mobo, etc...).

Going back on topic: it seems not too much interesting the new 780i for what people says. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160521

I understand that there is a market for low end cards. Its simply plain dumb to invest in a say... a $250 mb (high end) and a $150 graphics card (low-med end card). When you can get a $150 (medium feature set mb, nothing too fancy, everything you ever wanted really) and a $250 graphics card (med-medium high end) graphics card.

And... turbo cache makes things lower compared to a higher bit memory... 5 second google -> http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2300&p=5 .

And no, I don't think gaming as running 800x600 with everything on low and still only getting 25fps. Thats tourture.

Turbo Cache cards are for people who don't understand that a small amount more money will go much further at that price range and for people who don't game and only want video out (maybe help with dvd decodin).

Xion X2
10-14-07, 11:19 AM

Someone has too much time on their hands....

There will always be something new and better around the corner. In this case, that's (probably) a new high-end card from Nvidia in Jan/Feb and the new line of quads from Intel starting in November and January 08 (extreme only is out this year ~ 1000$). You make your decision based on how much money you're willing to spend along with understanding that new hardware often brings with it instability and unpredictability for at least a few months. This mostly applies to mainboards/videocards.

darkbluesky
10-14-07, 01:12 PM
Someone has too much time on their hands....

Too quick thought I guess. If you consider that I'm in stereogaming for more than 7 years now, "suffering" all kind of surprises, I think it is enough time to define a procedure, even to make a paper just for fun, it isn't? Although it could look funny to people that are out of this subjet, I admit it. Maybe I should have kept it, only for "stereo-people". And, actually I have very few free time...

There will always be something new and better around the corner. In this case, that's (probably) a new high-end card from Nvidia in Jan/Feb and the new line of quads from Intel starting in November and January 08 (extreme only is out this year ~ 1000$). You make your decision based on how much money you're willing to spend along with understanding that new hardware often brings with it instability and unpredictability for at least a few months. This mostly applies to mainboards/videocards.

Yes, I know these novelties are going to be released soon. Exactly because I don't want to follow this "long-time-ago-known-new-hardware-every-6-months" story, I wanted to buy a mobo that last for me in time, as far as it is possible. So knowing that just now it was to be released a new mobo I wondered if I should go for it in order to keep it more time. I hope I have made myself clear. Anyway you have helped me, and I'm going to keep the 680i.

About the "old" GPU with "new" mobo combination, I refer, once time more to the diagram. Or in other words, they are only a stand-by solution until current GPUs become stereo compatible.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Xion X2
10-14-07, 01:23 PM
Too quick thought I guess. If you consider that I'm in stereogaming for more than 7 years now, "suffering" all kind of surprises, I think it is enough time to define a procedure, even to make a paper just for fun, it isn't? Although it could look funny to people that are out of this subjet, I admit it. Maybe I should have kept it, only for "stereo-people". And, actually I have very few free time...

Nah, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I'm not so much of a techie myself that I actually map out diagrams for planning (I save that stuff for my job :D ), but to each his own.

Good luck with whatever your path is.

darkbluesky
10-14-07, 01:29 PM
Nah, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I'm not so much of a techie myself that I actually map out diagrams for planning (I save that stuff for my job :D ), but to each his own.

Good luck with whatever your path is.

Yep, I'm a bit of a "nerd" (I think this is the word...), I guess ;). Thanks for all & good luck to you too!