PDA

View Full Version : Portal is a ground-breaking game!

Pages : [1] 2 3

s064809
10-11-07, 03:06 AM
Honestly, at the very beginning, I didn't give a crap to this game as I think it's just a kinda puzzle cult game. I thought there wouldn't be any story, let alone any fun I can derive from the game. But I was WRONG!!! The story is fun! The game is fun! I spent 4 hours straight on the game and finished it! The story is excellent!!! The ending is awesome! Portal alone worths $40!!!! Orange is definitely a kick at least this year. This game is a break-through of FPS!!(nana2)

SH64
10-11-07, 04:14 AM
What the heck Portal is all about anyways ? i read a lot about it & still can't find what's the concept behind it :wtf:

s064809
10-11-07, 04:20 AM
What the heck Portal is all about anyways ? i read a lot about it & still can't find what's the concept behind it :wtf:
Well, coz it's the first of its kind, I can't possibly tell u what it is. Seach for "Portal" in Youtube and u'll know! TF2 and Portal definitely worth more than $45!:captnkill: :headexplode:

LordJuanlo
10-11-07, 04:21 AM
Google a bit and search some youtube videos. Basically it's all about you being inside a room and must find your way out. You have a weapon that you can use to open portals on doors and ceilings to get around obstacles in your way. You put an entrance portal and an exit portal wherever you want (well, there are special walls where you can't put them). You can set one on floor and one on the wall so if you jump from a high platform to the floor portal, you catapult yourself through the wall portal.

This game has been a great surprise and I'm glad I bought the Orange Box and not just Episode 2 (I already own HL2 and Ep1). I hope the community will release tons of cool maps.

jolle
10-11-07, 04:21 AM
Puzzle game.
You gotta figure out a way to get through the maps, you got your portal gun so you can set out entry and exit portals on some surfaces, but there are walls that you cant use it on.
For example some areas have a glass wall and a "force field" above it, you cant shoot portals thru the field, so you set a exit on the wall near the cealing, and one on the ground, jump into the one in the ground and try to hit that portal again when you fall out of the exit portal, that way you accelerate and when you exit again you shoot out above the glass wall.

Reroute energy balls that is bouncing between an emitter and a wall to hit a reciever somewhere on the map, sometimes pretty tricky. and at times you need to fetch a box to put that on a button so a door will stay open etc.

Sometimes there are sentry guns you need to get in behind to knock over, or put a portal entry in the way of a energy ball so it exits and hits the sentry.
And the sentrys will shoot you through the portals if they get a line of sight through it hehe..

Its pretty fun, I finished it in my first sitting, and the bonus advanced maps.

Morrow
10-11-07, 08:06 AM
Its pretty fun, I finished it in my first sitting, and the bonus advanced maps.

hey, could you give me a hint on how to finish the last of the advanced maps? I'm really stuck in that with no walls to attach your Portals to. I managed to get to over the first two abysses but that's it.

nekrosoft13
10-11-07, 08:17 AM
it would be cool if they add this portal gun to HL2 EP3 ;)

or someone mod few HL2 levels

CaptNKILL
10-11-07, 08:30 AM
it would be cool if they add this portal gun to HL2 EP3 ;)

or someone mod few HL2 levels
Yeah, it all fits perfectly into the half-life 2 gameplay... I bet we'll be seeing something from Portal in Episode 3 (either the character, the Aperture AI voice or at least the Portal gun). I know there were rumors about it, but as good as this game is, they'd be stupid not to incorporate it into HL2 as soon as possible. They already said its part of the same "world", so its just a matter of how long it'll take for the two games to connect.

nekrosoft13
10-11-07, 08:40 AM
in PC gamer it did mention that Black Mesa had an competition company, and if i'm not mistaken its the one from Portal.

Supposelly (from what it mention in PC Gamer) In EP3 you will be breaking into competition lab to retrieve technology that supposed to help you in the fight.

Also i think the Portal game is taking place during this whole war. You can notice that quite often the voice stutters, breaks up or just goes crazy speaking a different language. Probably got damaged during the attack.

CaptNKILL
10-11-07, 08:45 AM
in PC gamer it did mention that Black Mesa had an competition company, and if i'm not mistaken its the one from Portal.

Supposelly (from what it mention in PC Gamer) In EP3 you will be breaking into competition lab to retrieve technology that supposed to help you in the fight.

Also i think the Portal game is taking place during this whole war. You can notice that quite often the voice stutters, breaks up or just goes crazy speaking a different language. Probably got damaged during the attack.
It'll be very interesting to see how it all ties together. :)

Tygerwoody
10-11-07, 09:04 AM
Portal was great. I loved beating the main boss last night. The things she would say were absolute hilarious.

FastRedPonyCar
10-11-07, 09:05 AM
I'm eager to see all the new portal puzzle levels that people in the modding community are going to be making. It'll be endless.

wysiwyg
10-11-07, 09:09 AM
im stuck on portal of which i spoke about in the orange box feedback thread if anyone could help :headexplode:

i thought the female gun turrets are very cool and funny

arioch21
10-11-07, 09:13 AM
I want more maps! :( just cant get enough ;p

Tygerwoody
10-11-07, 09:18 AM
is there a funner way to take out turrets? I just ran into them and knocked them over most of the time. That or grabbed them and dropped them from a high place. Both are kinda boring. I liked the first lvl of taking out turrets with the cubes. Alot more than than just running into them and hoping they fall....

Madpistol
10-11-07, 09:37 AM
I want a "Weighted Companion Cube" plush toy! Valve would make a killing if they would market this. Fans of Portal would go nuts!

jeffmd
10-11-07, 10:23 AM
is there a funner way to take out turrets? I just ran into them and knocked them over most of the time. That or grabbed them and dropped them from a high place. Both are kinda boring. I liked the first lvl of taking out turrets with the cubes. Alot more than than just running into them and hoping they fall....

Hell yea. Open portals above and below them. Have one torrent fall on another. In the final turret room, I was sneaking behind them and then jettisoning them out into the main room. An achievement is unlocked if you get one of them to gun down another.

Burner_Tbird2
10-11-07, 10:46 AM
Hell yea. Open portals above and below them. Have one torrent fall on another. In the final turret room, I was sneaking behind them and then jettisoning them out into the main room. An achievement is unlocked if you get one of them to gun down another.

That's what I love about this game, there's no one right way to pass a stage. I have done a few of the last challenges multiple times to see how complex I can make the solution.

This was the game I was most anticipating out of the Orange Box and it didn't disappoint :D

six_storm
10-11-07, 10:46 AM
Has anyone tried to beat the advanced maps yet? I'm done with each one besides the map with turrents in locked boxes. I can't get the drones to quit shooting me. I know that you can use the boxes to block bullets and/or stack them in front of the turrents, but there are not enough boxes. Plus, you can get shot from multiple directions.

Mr. Hunt
10-11-07, 11:05 AM
Has anyone tried to beat the advanced maps yet? I'm done with each one besides the map with turrents in locked boxes. I can't get the drones to quit shooting me. I know that you can use the boxes to block bullets and/or stack them in front of the turrents, but there are not enough boxes. Plus, you can get shot from multiple directions.

Yeah I did them all... best way to do the one you are talking about is use those first two boxes against the first two turrents... get into that room with a bunch and shoot a portal on the RIGHT wall in the next room you should go into as far right as you can get it (while in the room with the cubes). Then start porting all of the cubes over there... then you go through and line them up and you can drag the last one over all of the other ones to be the first one... keep doing that and you should be good. Took me quite a while... just remember to quick save lol.

brady
10-11-07, 11:14 AM
So I had something strange happen in portal the other day. It was in the first level with the turrets. There's a "hidden room" (not too hidden) with a bunch of writting on the wall. Also in that room there are severl large stone blocks and other various objects (cups, radios, etc). I opened a portal above one of the turrets and then I went to the room with the blocks and started opening portals under them so as to have the blocks fall onto the turret. I also did this with all of the special cubes that were in the level.

After getting just about every object I could find to fall onto the turret I went over to where the turret was and found that the objects (cubes, blocks, cups, pans, radios) had lost the property of gravity. Also, some of them I was able to pick up and push through walls and glass. Even the rest of the turrets in the level lost gravity and went I would nock them over they would float across the room. It was very strange...

Dreamingawake
10-11-07, 11:19 AM
I agree whole heartedly. Portal is truly awesome. What an innovative game.

Wow, -and it makes you think !

(hey if any game can make your girlfriend play for hours straight, while she
has a smile on her face it's gotta be good) !!

I am definitely uber impressed with this little game. I'm taking it slow
because I don't want it to be over too quickly.

I really hope they release some more levels or something !!!!!!!!!!

WE WANT MORE PORTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:captnkill:

Destroy
10-11-07, 11:30 AM
Well, coz it's the first of its kind, I can't possibly tell u what it is.

Not correct. Portal is very much a copy of an older game that came out 5?years ago which for the life of me I can't remember the name right now. Some one here will remember the name.

Edit: Found it. Narbacular Drop is the name of the game I'm thinking of.

Morrow
10-11-07, 11:36 AM
Not correct. Portal is very much a copy of an older game that came out 10?years ago which for the life of me I can't remember the name right now. Some one here will remember the name.

yeah, that's Narbacular Drop but it's not 10 years old but maybe 4-5 years. Also the team who did Narbacular Drop is the same team who did now Portal.

wysiwyg
10-11-07, 11:37 AM
the predescessor to portal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop