PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 Preview

SeriTonin
10-11-07, 10:49 AM
http://firingsquad.com/games/unreal_tournament_3_impressions/

Note worthy points in the article:

A demo is mere days away ( we know that though )

And dx10 mode offers no new visuals. They must be using the api to speed things up.

SeriTonin
10-11-07, 10:55 AM
i prefer this type of strategy by the developers.

I'm with you. Especially when, to be blunt, dx10 doesn't really offer anything new visually, it just allows developers to put more visuals onto something. More lighting on a scene, more shadowing, etc. So yes, I guess it offers better visuals, but it really doesn't bring anything new to the table. Like the difference between dx8/pixel shader 1.1 vs. dx9.0c pixel shader 3.0

I say just use it for speed purposes. Help those mid-range systems run a game better ...hell, help those high-end rig's run better!

DMA
10-11-07, 11:15 AM
So will UT fans love UT 3? While we only got to see parts of the final game it's hard to believe that this next game in the series won't be the best yet in this long running franchise. The Warfare style of gameplay is an excellent refinement of Onslaught, the new human and alien vehicles are terrific, and the game looks great and plays really fast.

That it's way faster than 03 and 04 has been confirmed by a lot of the lucky bastards that have tried UT3. :)

"UT99" is fast as hell and really really great, so I hope UT3 feels just like the original UT.

Can't wait to play the demo. Please please please release it tomorrow! :p

FastRedPonyCar
10-11-07, 11:40 AM
I'm with you. Especially when, to be blunt, dx10 doesn't really offer anything new visually, it just allows developers to put more visuals onto something. More lighting on a scene, more shadowing, etc. So yes, I guess it offers better visuals, but it really doesn't bring anything new to the table. Like the difference between dx8/pixel shader 1.1 vs. dx9.0c pixel shader 3.0

It lets crysis do this. Check out the last 2 of the waves :headexplode:

http://www.crysis-online.com/?id=428

3DBrad
10-11-07, 11:51 AM
DirectX 10 offers anti-aliasing for Unreal Tournament 3, but as Tim Sweeney already said in at least one interview, the main reason for them using DirectX 10 is to increase performance while maintaining great visuals. :)