PDA

View Full Version : Steam has me steaming

S.I.N
10-11-07, 10:41 AM
My day off and this is what I get for buying the retail game.....

http://i22.tinypic.com/ay14bc.jpg

What the hell.:thumbdwn:

Burner_Tbird2
10-11-07, 10:50 AM
Sorry Bud, at least you can take comfort that the activation server is probably down for the downloaded version as well :(

andy_nv
10-11-07, 11:06 AM
Hehe, that's how I felt when I first bought HL2 :banghead::surrender

Tygerwoody
10-11-07, 11:20 AM
I'm sure it will be back up eventually. You have to imagine they are absolutely swamped with orders. I don't even think Valve knew how popular the Orange box would be. I'll still continue to always use Steam for all games that are possible.

mullet
10-11-07, 11:30 AM
Yeah give it a few weeks man it will be back up.

$n][pErMan
10-11-07, 07:39 PM
I got the retail and it activated right away... the thing that pissed me off was I had to download the damn game even though it was on the DVD... WTF?!?! I could not figure out for the life of me how to install it off the damn disk...

breathemetal
10-11-07, 07:44 PM
yet another reason why i will only buy a game as a hard copy

crainger
10-11-07, 08:31 PM
yet another reason why i will only buy a game as a hard copy

He DID buy a hard copy! With Steam even the retail versions act like the Steam version :(

S.I.N
10-11-07, 08:50 PM
Well it finally made allowed me to activate it a few hours ago. Took a hell of a long time which was ridiculous. I actually love steam and the fact no CD is required after one install but I like having cases for my games and this one was worth having more than any other because its actually orange.:o

[pErMan']I got the retail and it activated right away... the thing that pissed me off was I had to download the damn game even though it was on the DVD... WTF?!?! I could not figure out for the life of me how to install it off the damn disk...

Same here. I selected install and it did nothing and I even switched disks and was like what the hell. After about 15 minutes I was about to download them also then I finally tried reinstall and it gave the option to install them. So if you have steam installed already you have to reinstall because install does nothing but add them to your steam id.:headexplode:

$n][pErMan
10-11-07, 09:03 PM
Same here. I selected install and it did nothing and I even switched disks and was like what the hell. After about 15 minutes I was about to download them also then I finally tried reinstall and it gave the option to install them. So if you have steam installed already you have to reinstall because install does nothing but add them to your steam id.:headexplode:
LoL.. ya.. huge pain in the ass. I tried the re-install... all it did for me was re-install steam, forced me to update steam because the version on the disk was older than what I had and then I still had to download the games. Just damn stupid IMO.

jolle
10-12-07, 02:38 AM
I had TF2 down already, and Portal and EP2 preloaded..
So it just unlocked them as soon as I logged on after the release, no hassle.

I like steam, but it feels slightly risky to buy all games on it..
What if somehow my account got hijacked, or banned, or steam is just shut down (I imagine they would release their own "steam disable patch" for games sold on steam if that happens tho)..
You never know..

gulizard
10-12-07, 03:13 AM
Welcome to Steam - worse then Gamespy.. Did they ever get their crappy Friend List to work?

crainger
10-12-07, 05:49 AM
Welcome to Steam - worse then Gamespy.. Did they ever get their crappy Friend List to work?

Works perfectly for me. Redeemed can fap to me 24/7 now.

jolle
10-12-07, 07:13 AM
Worked fine in the Steam Beta pre HL2, then when it went out of beta it died for a year or something hehe..
But now it works pretty good, it has some new features with the release of Steam Community, such as starting voice chats with people on friends, you can have a picture (which also shows up in TF2, scorelist and for people you kill).
But most importantly tho, it works now..

Rakeesh
10-12-07, 01:43 PM
Steam has gotten better than it used to be, but it is still quite a mixed bag.

When steam was still optional, I first stopped using it when the content servers took a sh*t, and valve left it down for about four days. They've done a similar thing twice since then. You couldn't play any games at all, because the offline play thing almost never works. Even today it doesn't work half of the time.

Something I still get on occasion is steam will randomly drop me off of servers, sometimes even close the game, because of some kind of auth issues that are going on at their end.

Just last weekend I was playing NS and kept getting disconnected from the servers every 7 minutes, with steam citing some kind of ticket error or some crap.

NaitoSan
10-12-07, 05:22 PM
i got orange box from steam, never had any problems.