PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

breathemetal
10-11-07, 09:01 PM
Im mainly a gamer (pc wise).
I know my stuff...but task-wise, all i do is download, play games, listen to music, and browse the web.

So, is moving up to 64 bit a good move for me?

As long as all my games work fine I'll be happy, and as long as Zune works on 64bit ill be happy.

crainger
10-11-07, 09:37 PM
I pretty do the same stuff as you, I'm on 64bit and I have had no issues with the move EXCEPT Teracopy doesn't support 64bit fully.

If you have Ultimate and the 64bit disc there all it will really cost you is a weekends work backing up and reinstalling.

If you have to send away for discs, maybe not worth it just yet.

breathemetal
10-11-07, 10:07 PM
I have the disc
and im all backed up

its just a matter of reformatting and loading all my **** back into windows

crainger
10-11-07, 10:11 PM
Then all you'll really have to spend is your time. If you have might as well try it. I see you have 4gb of RAM? With 64 you'll be able to use it all too. :D

CaptNKILL
10-11-07, 10:42 PM
Only problems I have are running old games.

A lot of older programs won't even run in x64 Vista but they work fine in XP 32bit (they give errors about not being compatible with 64bit operating systems). Thats why I'm dual booting though. It isn't a big enough problem for me to stop using Vista, but if you play a lot of older games you'll probably have better luck with 32bit.

Though its worth noting, I have a few pre 2000 games that work flawlessly in Vista but give me problems in XP. The "compatibility mode" settings seem to do a lot more now (such as setting CPU affinity to 1 core when you set 9x compatibility mode).

So far I haven't really seen any reasons to use 64bit over 32, but its nice to know I won't have to install a different version of my OS if I ever get another 2 gigs of ram.

methimpikehoses
10-11-07, 11:02 PM
I'm having trouble with my Abit mobo software... that's it though.

crainger
10-15-07, 12:35 AM
I'm having trouble with my Abit mobo software... that's it though.

Same here. The Win Flash program even had the balls to say it's x64 compatible, install fine and start fine, but when i did the BIOS flash it nuked my board. Luckily I was able to reflash via a floppy. Moral to the story. Don't flash in windows.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-15-07, 12:49 AM
I've been flashing bioses in windows since my Aw8-max, no probs :lol:

I am thinking about going to 64-bit Vista here, but I am debating wether or not I want to buy two more gigs of memory.

crainger
10-15-07, 01:42 AM
Just buy Mwar! Everything is better with Mwar!

methimpikehoses
10-15-07, 01:58 AM
Same here. The Win Flash program even had the balls to say it's x64 compatible, install fine and start fine, but when i did the BIOS flash it nuked my board. Luckily I was able to reflash via a floppy. Moral to the story. Don't flash in windows.

I'll take that advice and the 1000 times I've heard that before and not try Winflash. I can't even get the actual Abit tuning program to work at all in x64. It's not really necessary when you can do it in the BIOS menus.

The one good thing about my old ASUS board was the EZFlash in the BIOS itself... I updated several times without a hitch. The only problem was I had to update it all the time and it had awful Vdroop and crappy fan control.