PDA

View Full Version : E6750 & Asus P5B Problems! HELP!

ATOJAR
10-12-07, 08:26 AM
Ok guys i need some help here please! ..... my new E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB arrived today so i set about installing, i have the latest 1604 motherboard bios in that adds support for the 1333FSB CPU's

Firstly i removed the motherboard batterey to reset the motherboard settings, i then removed the older E6600 CPU, installed the E6750 ... when i turned the system on i went straight into the biso to check everything as ok, .... every thing looked ok ... it was reading the CPU correctly .. the fsb was showing as 1332(i thought that was normal) .... temps where ok at 34c ... i though great .... restarted the system ..... it loaded the post secreen & motheboard logo up fine but as soon as it tried to boot into vista the screen just went black! i though hmmm so i though well its strange but maby i need to re-install vista so i tried just that ... booted from cd ect when, the bar came up that said it was copying the windows files when the bar loaded instead of restarting or trying to linstall windows the monitor again just went black! .... i even tried to install xp again .... this got half way through a install then the system froze up! .... so i put the E6600 back in, tried to install vista and guess what? every thing working fine with the E6600! ......

Anybody got any ideas as to whats happening?

Thanks.

CaptNKILL
10-12-07, 08:34 AM
Thats odd.

Defective CPUs are pretty rare, but I guess it could be possible...

Try unplugging the system and clearing the CMOS (with the jumper) and giving the new CPU a try. Removing the battery doesn't always clear the CMOS (especially if the system is still plugged in).

Also, it could be related to your memory. I don't know exactly what happens when you have overclock settings in your BIOS and then you change the CPU, but it could change your FSB settings without changing your memory divider (ie, you're overclocking your memory and it cant handle it).

Thats about all I can think of.

If your settings are reset to defaults and you're still having problems, I don't know what to tell ya. You might want to check an Asus motherboard forum.

ATOJAR
10-12-07, 08:56 AM
Ok ill try that and get back and let ya know :) thanks for your help!

by the way ... you dont think it could be my PSU?(see sig)

ATOJAR
10-12-07, 09:34 AM
w00t! .... thanks man, i pulled out the power cord, removed the biso battery and set the jumpers to reset! ... waited 5 mins the put everything back, re-installed the new CPU and booted up, guess what? its working WoHooo! asus pc probe reports 31c - 32c idle! ... is asus pc probe good to trust for a good temp reading?

CaptNKILL
10-12-07, 09:54 AM
Awesome, glad that did it for ya. :)

Always remember to unplug your PC when you clear the BIOS or else it won't clear (thats always been my experience at least).

31C sounds alright I guess. Right now mine is idling at 22C though and its overclocked almost 1Ghz (with extra voltage). But its been pretty chilly the past few days. If its pretty warm where you are, then those temps should be fine.

mullet
10-12-07, 10:43 AM
CaptNKILL is da man.

CaptNKILL
10-12-07, 10:45 AM
CaptNKILL is da man.
:wonder:

:p

ATOJAR
10-12-07, 10:51 AM
If its pretty warm where you are, then those temps should be fine.

Its england, its never warm here lol!

CaptNKILL
10-12-07, 11:02 AM
Its england, its never warm here lol!
Whoops, I see that now, how silly of me. :D

Keep an eye on those temps then once you start overclocking.

Mine gets to the low 50s under full load and idles in the 20s. Keep it out of the 60s and you should be fine.

It could just be a difference in the way the temps are monitored, but its better to be safe than crashing. :p