PDA

View Full Version : Which will be better? ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA or the Asus Striker Extreme 680i?

Digital_Trans
10-12-07, 01:51 PM
Which will be better? ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA or the Asus Striker Extreme 680i?

Digital_Trans
10-12-07, 02:30 PM
Intel > nV, no doubt about that.

Cool so would I be better off buying the Asus Maximus Extreme or ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA?

Digital_Trans
10-12-07, 03:33 PM
I just ordered the Asus Maximus Formula SE today! I can't stand the Asus Striker Extreme 680i Motherboard at all. I will never use SLI so this board will serve perfectly for my needs.

Blacklash
10-13-07, 07:17 AM
Let us know how it goes with the X38. I am sitting this one out until prices fall and I've received a lot of feedback from users like yourself, not reviewers.

Buckeye
10-15-07, 12:06 AM
So what do you think of the board so far ?

Found this review, sounds pretty nice actually.

http://www.aobonline.net/reviews/asus-formula-maximus-se-motherboard-review-part-1

Digital_Trans
10-15-07, 12:39 AM
So what do you think of the board so far ?

Found this review, sounds pretty nice actually.

http://www.aobonline.net/reviews/asus-formula-maximus-se-motherboard-review-part-1

I'm going to install it very soon.

Slash310
10-15-07, 01:14 AM
what was wrong with your striker?

crainger
10-15-07, 01:20 AM
Probably the usual NV chipset instability. I find with nvidia chipsets. It'll either work perfectly for you, or it will fail miserably. Intel on the other hand makes some really nice rock solid stuff.

My 650i has a great success so far. I hope it continues to as the price was right and it's always nice to have SLi support. :D

Buckeye
10-16-07, 12:55 AM
Ha !

Thanks now I had to order mine also, plus extras :)

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA / SE LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
4x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I like what this guy is doing with his case.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160606

Not water cooling yet, but I will after the first of the year.

Buckeye
10-17-07, 05:33 PM
It has come :)

That is one nice motherboard. I am going to install it into the TJ09 with the rest of what is shown which I allready have.

I plan on water cooling all this, trying to decided how I want to do that.

The Zalman setup
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118032

or Koolance which I think would look pretty nice sitting on top on the case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835127006

This is the TJ09 sitting next to my Antec P180B, must make more room now LOL.

i will not be able to do any work on this till next week, off on a business trip. On water cooling will not happen till next year as I want to wait and see what new GPU's come out first.

On the Antec case I had to run it with the side off, too much stuff inside that case. With the side on GPU temps would go up 10c at idle :(

Yes shameless plug in the photo's, it's what makes my computer habit possible. I am powered by Liftoff and H3O ! hehe

v3rninater
10-17-07, 10:58 PM
Wait for X48, you may be pleasantly surprised!:)

Buckeye
10-17-07, 11:26 PM
You mean this ?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20071001191948.html

DiscipleDOC
10-18-07, 06:23 AM
Now I gotta know....what's wrong with the Striker motherboard?

Buckeye
10-18-07, 10:05 AM
Well, I am ashamed to say but must admit what happened :)

First off I have had a hard time OCing my setup and had bad SLI performance. I lived with it for a long time as I have just been very busy with work. So havening some free time I decided to look into my problems with the setup.

First I looked at my Bios which was version 1003 or something like that, it was very old. So reading a bit I found that the SE1303 and flashed that, yeah much better SLI performance and I could OC it a bit, up to 3.2 using the CPU multiplier. I could set that to 12 for 3.2ghz but going to 13 or 3.4ghz and it was a no post with that. It still didn’t feel right though.

So I downloaded the SE1305 Bios and flashed that, big mistake !

First I have flashed Bios’s many times and never had a problem. I used the AsusUpdt program which has worked fine for me, until… what they say is true do not use AsusUpdt.

So after the flash with SE1305 it reboots, black screen and nothing … Gah !! I let it sit for 15 minutes and nothing, finally hit the reset button and black screen, then loud beep.

So how did I fix a bad flash, keep in mind that I thought I killed the board.

Power off and unplug the Power cord
Move the CLR RTC Jumper to enable
Push and hold the Clear CMOS for 1 minute
Remove the battery and leave out for 15 minutes
Install the battery
Move the CLR RTC Jumper back to disable
Reboot

Still did not work, I could get to the Logo screen and the press DEL for setup but pressing the DEL key hung the system Gah !

I ended up leaving the battery out over night.
Fired it back up in the morning and held the “Insert” key down for the full bootup until the you get to press DEL key to enter setup and Bam that worked, I had the Bios screen back.

Reset all settings and it came alive with BIOS version SE1305. It’s working now but was a close call. This board will still be used but on a second comp.

I had already ordered the Maximus from Newegg and had it FedEx over night so I was committed with that and went oh well live and learn, time to rebuild.

The Striker is a great board but from what I have read it is picky about memory and I think mine did not like my memory very much, I may have to replace mine with what they normally use according to what they say on http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums That is a great site and I am learning a lot from those guys. Anytime I adjusted the memory settings or just about anything else in the Bios I got a no post.

Digital_Trans
10-18-07, 11:48 AM
Well, I am ashamed to say but must admit what happened :)

First off I have had a hard time OCing my setup and had bad SLI performance. I lived with it for a long time as I have just been very busy with work. So havening some free time I decided to look into my problems with the setup.

First I looked at my Bios which was version 1003 or something like that, it was very old. So reading a bit I found that the SE1303 and flashed that, yeah much better SLI performance and I could OC it a bit, up to 3.2 using the CPU multiplier. I could set that to 12 for 3.2ghz but going to 13 or 3.4ghz and it was a no post with that. It still didn’t feel right though.

So I downloaded the SE1305 Bios and flashed that, big mistake !

First I have flashed Bios’s many times and never had a problem. I used the AsusUpdt program which has worked fine for me, until… what they say is true do not use AsusUpdt.

So after the flash with SE1305 it reboots, black screen and nothing … Gah !! I let it sit for 15 minutes and nothing, finally hit the reset button and black screen, then loud beep.

So how did I fix a bad flash, keep in mind that I thought I killed the board.

Power off and unplug the Power cord
Move the CLR RTC Jumper to enable
Push and hold the Clear CMOS for 1 minute
Remove the battery and leave out for 15 minutes
Install the battery
Move the CLR RTC Jumper back to disable
Reboot

Still did not work, I could get to the Logo screen and the press DEL for setup but pressing the DEL key hung the system Gah !

I ended up leaving the battery out over night.
Fired it back up in the morning and held the “Insert” key down for the full bootup until the you get to press DEL key to enter setup and Bam that worked, I had the Bios screen back.

Reset all settings and it came alive with BIOS version SE1305. It’s working now but was a close call. This board will still be used but on a second comp.

I had already ordered the Maximus from Newegg and had it FedEx over night so I was committed with that and went oh well live and learn, time to rebuild.

The Striker is a great board but from what I have read it is picky about memory and I think mine did not like my memory very much, I may have to replace mine with what they normally use according to what they say on http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums That is a great site and I am learning a lot from those guys. Anytime I adjusted the memory settings or just about anything else in the Bios I got a no post.

Okay, never use the Asus Bios update in Windows. It can in most cases kill you're motherboard's bios rom chip to where Asus has to ship you one directly from their bios dept. Use the Asus EZ Flash next time and everything will work perfectly!

Simple instructions:

1.) Download the latest bios

2.) Use a flash drive to transfer the bios file to.

3.) Put the flash drive in a USB-port and boot up in you're bios and search for EZ bios flash menu feature.

4.) Next, follow the simple screen instructions and you can watch you're bios being updated with the newer version. Okay this is the proper way to flash you're bios next time. You did what many do which is bad! Don't do that or next time you could be **** out of luck.

nekrosoft13
10-18-07, 11:53 AM
The 680i chipset.

not a single problem here, not a striker but evga, same chipset.

100% stable

Buckeye
10-18-07, 12:09 PM
Yup I learned that the hard way. Sometimes I just do ... stuff ... LOL

DiscipleDOC
10-18-07, 12:50 PM
Well, I can't wait for my striker board to get here. And then I will get my Q6600, and then the celebration shall start! (nana2)

DRen72
10-18-07, 02:02 PM
I'm still leaning toward: Asus P5E3 Deluxe, DDR3-1800, and Intel QX9650 next month. I only upgrade every two years, so I figure the expense is worth it this time around.

nekrosoft13
10-18-07, 02:53 PM
still not worth to spend 500-600 on 2gb ram

methimpikehoses
10-18-07, 02:54 PM
Well, I can't wait for my striker board to get here. And then I will get my Q6600, and then the celebration shall start! (nana2)

I'm so tempted to buy a quad... then I will have to sell it and get the penryn in january... but still I could be enjoying Crysis for those 2 months with 2 more cores.

Intel FTW Doc.

/OT

DRen72
10-19-07, 01:29 PM
still not worth to spend 500-600 on 2gb ram
Ok, I'm looking at Newegg.com and I see 2GB of DDR2 Corsair Dominator (PC2-10000) for $671.00. This is apparently the fastest they have for DDR2. Now, I see 2GB of DDR3 Patriot Extreme (PC3-15000) for $629.99. Now, thats for the best of each type and DDR3 is cheaper.

Now, for the low end stuff, I see 2GB of PQi Power series (PC2-4200) for $45.99. For DDR3 I see 2GB of DDR3 Corsair XMS (PC3-8500) for $303.00.

It stands to reason that if I want average or cheaper RAM that does not overclock as well, then sure, the DDR2 is far cheaper. However, if I want the best I can get for extreme overclocking then DDR3 may have an advantage.

Your Rebuttal... ;)

Doctor_Death
10-27-07, 10:12 AM
I have the X38 Maximus Formula ES installed in my second machine,and to be honest,temps suck.I had to add two more 120mm fans pushing air on the board to try to bring temps down.Without the extra fansthe mobo temps were52c and Northbridge 48c. I do testing for CoolIt and i have their new Elite chiller installed on a QX6800 thats OCed to 3.51GHz. Processor temps are great.30c-28c-24c-24c After i installed the two other 120mm fans bringing the total to 5/120mm intake and 3/120mm exhust Mobo temps dropped to 38c which is still to hot and NB temps to 36c.Here's the specs for that machine:
Asus Maximus Formula ES
Intel QX6800 3.51GHz/ Elite chiller
Sapphire Two HD2900 Pros 1Gb each
Corsair XMS2 Pro PC2-6400
Western Digital 1 / 150Gb Raptor - 1 WD/ 750 Gb AAKS
CoolerMaster 850W Real Power Pro
CoolerMaster Black 830 Stacker
Lite On two 20X DVD burners

I am going to install this setup into CoolIts new Boreas Build. They use thec silverstone TJ-07 case with their new 12 TEC Boreas chiller. I am hopeing to bring the boards temps down.The Boreas is made to cool the processor as well as two vidio cards, but i am having them remove the two vidio card heatsinks and set it up to cool just the processor and NB. Besides the heat issues tbhe Max Formula ES is a great overclocker.

Buckeye
10-27-07, 11:24 AM
Were your MB temps that hot while just running it a stock settings ?

Well after reading a bunch those temps seem a bit high on Air Cooled
Seeing readings 35c to 37c on the NB

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=124
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160945&page=7

conantheogar2
09-17-08, 07:02 PM
Let us know how it goes with the X38. I am sitting this one out until prices fall and I've received a lot of feedback from users like yourself, not reviewers.

I've used Maximus Formula X38 motherboard for couple of months and will tell you that its Absolutly Fantastic! Best Motherboard I have ever used:D
Rock Solid BIOS, 45nm Core 2 Quad ready, loads of Fan jumpers, Nice design, NB never passed 55c at very heavy Overclock,Easy installation,Overclocks RAM nicely. I had a quality 667Mhz RAM module and I OC it to 944Mhz for 24-7 use.

And I had 4 strikers and only 1 did work!
Maximus Demolishes the Striker 680i. with the striker 680i you cannot even get a NB temp readout..?