PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a broken motherboard?

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 12:14 AM
Ok, long story short, a bunch of years ago (2003 maybe) my brother broke a motherboard while installing a heatsink on his Athlon XP system. When the screw driver slipped (or maybe this was the one where the clip actually broke) the end of the screw driver snapped off a tiny little thing on the board.

I don't know my electronics well enough to say exactly what it is, but I know I can solder pretty well and it seems like an awful waste to throw out a perfectly good Gigabyte KT333 board.

If anyone can help me identify this missing bit or tell me if its remotely possible to fix, I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28436&stc=1&d=1192248845

EDIT: If it helps, I have a friend who has a board almost identical to this one and it could have the same layout.

BCKator
10-13-07, 01:52 AM
CaptN:
Those are surface mount components, most likely resistors. You need to find the same board and get the number off the old component (I guess its gone?). I don't know the code, but given the numbers, you could probably find a replacement at a place on-line like Newark or Allied electronics. Or, perhaps you could cannibalize an old MB or vid card (assuming you can find a match). Given the component, you next need a magnifying glass, or jewler's loop, a good fine tip soldering iron, and a steady hand to install the new component. But really, is it worth it?

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 02:10 AM
But really, is it worth it?
Eh... I don't know.

I just found out that my old ECS K7S5A survived a power surge (I thought it was toast because it had burn marks on the main power connector) and the spare Socket A CPU I had works fine in that board, so I guess I don't really need this Gigabyte board any more.

Just seems like a waste to scrap the whole board because of one tiny piece.

Anyone here want it?

I don't desperately need it, and I'd probably have to buy a new soldering iron to do the job anyway.

I'll most likely just use it for target practice if no one wants it. :o

Its a good board though. It supports Socket A CPUs with 266Mhz FSB and DDR333 (no official support for 333fsb chips though) and has onboard LAN and sound with a 4x AGP port.

Here is a review of it:
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/gigabyte/7vrxp/7vrxpp1.htm

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 10:42 PM
No one likes soldering? :p

If there aren't any takers, its getting tossed in the "targets" bin with the rest of my dead parts. :p

LORD-eX-Bu
10-13-07, 10:53 PM
shoot it :firedevil

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 11:15 PM
shoot it :firedevil
Yeah I'm cleaning out my overstock of AT crap right now... to feed to my AK. :D

I just filled an old crappy Compaq desktop AT case with 2 motherboards, 2 dead hard drives and a dead CDROM.

Should make for some interesting target practice. A have 2 friends who just bought .45s (one is a 1943 WWII issue Colt 1911, the other is a brand new 1911 style Taurus, totally decked out). Those, along with an M-1 Garand, 2 AKs, an M-1 Carbine, and my Saiga (sport AK) should allow these parts to finally "rest in pieces" rather than taking up a crap load of space in my storage cabinet.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-13-07, 11:20 PM
ROFL, you better post a video :D

I wanna see someone double tap your mobo with a 1911 :rofl

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 11:23 PM
ROFL, you better post a video :D

I wanna see someone double tap your mobo with a 1911 :rofl
If I have my way, I'm going to hit it with one in each hand. :lol:

LORD-eX-Bu
10-13-07, 11:23 PM
while it is on fire :p

CaptNKILL
10-13-07, 11:50 PM
while it is on fire :p
I always wanted to shoot a PC while it was plugged in... with a monitor...

Displaying a BSOD... in Windows 95... :p