PDA

View Full Version : i think there is no high res texture in retail version of ut3!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

egamer11
10-13-07, 03:04 AM
three maps in demo,every map is 700/3 about 200m,and ut3 will ship with 40
maps,200*40=8g,8g is exactly the official recommend hdd space:(
this just like etqw,someone insist that splashdamage remove the high res texture in demo and beta,but in fact demo and retail are jusu same textures:captnkill:

sorry,i was wrong,:D ,
offcial reply:Not true. I have answered this myself. Yes the texture resolution was reduced in order to keep the download size smaller.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25021670#post25021670

wait and see:afro2:

[EOCF] Tim
10-13-07, 04:48 AM
Nah I doubt it, really. I mean they can do a lot with compression.

I mean, UT2004 had a plethora of graphical options that were not present in the demo. And it did make the game quite a bit better. And we haven't heard the Holy S*** after selecting highest settings in UT3. :D

3DBrad
10-13-07, 08:06 AM
Don't be silly, a lot of textures are repeated in other maps.

Destroy
10-13-07, 08:23 AM
Would be nice if Epic would just say something about the poor graphics in this Beta demo.

Just like the wide screen issue, they just ignore it. :thumbdwn:

SH64
10-13-07, 08:28 AM
Genius!

[EOCF] Tim
10-13-07, 08:59 AM
Don't be silly, a lot of textures are repeated in other maps.

lol, darn, yea that's silly. I just followed along. :D hahaha

LycosV
10-13-07, 11:49 AM
Would be nice if Epic would just say something about the poor graphics in this Beta demo.

Just like the wide screen issue, they just ignore it. :thumbdwn:

Poor graphics? Yeah, it looks like total crap. It should definatly run in a higher res than real life... :rolleyes:

I have no doubts there will be more graphical options and probably higher res textures in the retail game. Even if it doesn't, are you going to pass on a great game just because of the way it looks?

SH64
10-13-07, 12:05 PM

Poor graphics eh ??!! seriously people you should choose your words carefully ... like you want a movie or reallife quality graphics today!! next thing you know someone will come here & say Crysis looks like sh!t.
some people just can't get satisfied , they want everything NOW! like how a baby wants a candy.
be reasonable & try to judge the graphics of todays games logically & how graphics engines are evolving.

i dont care about what you/others say , but such uninformed comments spread bad influance to those who havn't played the game yet or those who look for troubles.

this post is not directed to you specifically , it's actually intended for all those who come to the forums to drop comments like yours because i seriously had it with people who only bash graphics without any technical information or viewpoints regarding that subject just because they dont like something in specific (ex. i dont like motion blur so Lost Planet suck or i dont like the FOV in Bioshock so its crap .. etc).

Bman212121
10-13-07, 12:06 PM
three maps in demo,every map is 700/3 about 200m,and ut3 will ship with 40
maps,200*40=8g,8g is exactly the official recommend hdd space:(
this just like etqw,someone insist that splashdamage remove the high res texture in demo and beta,but in fact demo and retail are jusu same textures:captnkill:

Heh, great calulations there....

If you go look in the CookedPC folder where the maps reside, you'll notice that both DM maps are 35MB in size and the VCTF map is 40MB. So if you calculate 40 x 40, you'll see that 40 maps of the current quality would only take 1.6GB, NOT 8GB.

[EOCF] Tim
10-13-07, 12:20 PM
Poor graphics eh ??!! seriously people you should choose your words carefully ... like you want a movie or reallife quality graphics today!! next thing you know someone will come here & say Crysis looks like sh!t.
some people just can't get satisfied , they want everything NOW! like how a baby wants a candy.
be reasonable & try to judge the graphics of todays games logically & how graphics engines are evolving.

Not really, we do want it now, because we've been waiting years for it. All the videos and screenshots show much higher texture quality, ofcourse people are going to be slighly annoyed, this looks like Console textures, NOT PC textures. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if this engine wasn't touted the graphical benchmark of the future. Well sorry but it very much isn't. Textures are just really poor. And you simply cannot deny that. Look at the screenshots that we've been given over time?! Nothing like this.

Besides, HL2 for instance I do not have a problem with, because they've simply never said that the graphics were the best in the world. Epic did, and while it looks allright, it looks patethic in some parts.

Destroy
10-13-07, 12:54 PM
Poor graphics eh ??!! seriously people you should choose your words carefully ... ........
i dont care about what you/others say , but such uninformed comments spread bad influance to those who havn't played the game yet or those who look for troubles. ..

Listen, this game is IT. UT3 is suppose to be one of the top 3 PC titles for PC this year.

And what do we get? Look at it. It's completely sub par. It's totally console centric. Textures, UI, widescreen, HUD, all of it.

Epic should be embarrassed releasing a supposed AAA PC product like this to us PC gamers. They made nearly no effort what so ever to make a true PC game; far as I'm concerned, it is another 360 port.

And people that praise this game should also be ashamed of themselves for condoning the product.

I highly expected a UT99 PC quality product, this UT3 bullcrap doesn't even come close.

/end rant

Sry but I had to vent.

jAkUp
10-13-07, 01:37 PM
Epic already said that the textures have been scaled down.

jAkUp
10-13-07, 01:44 PM
Here is where it was stated, so just wait till the retail version to judge the graphics:

agentkay
10-13-07, 01:46 PM
Offtopic question Jakup: Whats your avatar?

jAkUp
10-13-07, 01:48 PM
It's the head of a phase unit, that is ice :) I'm changing back to Crysis now though :D

wrathofgod
10-13-07, 02:08 PM
I agree with most the others here that this game looks like sh*t! Nothing near all the screenshots, ect...

I will not be getting this game based on the demo. On a side note, I never liked the gameplay style of the UT series anyway but I was thinking of getting this just for the graphics. Thankfully, they released a demo and saved me some $. :)

agentkay
10-13-07, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't judge UT3 on the beta demo. I'm 100% sure that the retail version will look better and very close to the screenshots they have released. Campaign (SP) mode should be pretty good as well. However I have to say that MP is somewhat too fast for me (even without dodge jump etc.), or at least I'm not used to it anymore. :(

SeriTonin
10-13-07, 02:25 PM
well I looked through the official ut forums and it seems they're claiming a developer said this is medium detail...and they seem to know him on the forums, so.... :confused:

[EOCF] Tim
10-13-07, 03:42 PM
I judged the demo on these screenshots, notice the IMMENSE difference in texture quality? So yea I don't doubt the demo is at like medium quality, especially with fps this high.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25022841&postcount=26

gulizard
10-13-07, 04:36 PM
Heh, great calulations there....

If you go look in the CookedPC folder where the maps reside, you'll notice that both DM maps are 35MB in size and the VCTF map is 40MB. So if you calculate 40 x 40, you'll see that 40 maps of the current quality would only take 1.6GB, NOT 8GB.

Lets not forget those are your standard small maps designed for 8-12 people and it says so when you make a server. So they will most likely have more game modes, and more maps... Then theres the single player story which is an actual campaign that you play through, rather then just a bunch of bots on the same maps as mp. So 8-9GB for this game would not be insane.

I've played Unreal Tournament since it came around.. The graphics kind of do look washed out, and its obvious they don't have the textures applied.. for instance the bricks look flat, when they should stick out like they do in Bioshock, but the game does look pretty damn good, and it runs awesome. I am sure once they added shadows to buildings, and the rest of the game in the full version it will slow things down a bit - but Epic knows how to make a game, and thats for certain.

Gameplay this game is sweet - I've spent more then 10 hours playing it so far, luckily I got the Weekend off. I am happy with what I see.. I cannot wait for the Single Player, and the full game to actually come out, and on top of that we got Gears of War to look forward to, this gets better, and better.

jolle
10-13-07, 04:37 PM
well I looked through the official ut forums and it seems they're claiming a developer said this is medium detail...and they seem to know him on the forums, so.... :confused:

From the UT3 thread.
Also, Epic have stated that the textures have been toned down for the demo:

A "Super Moderator" went to say:
Not true. I have answered this myself. Yes the texture resolution was reduced in order to keep the download size smaller.

Bman212121
10-13-07, 04:52 PM
Lets not forget those are your standard small maps designed for 8-12 people and it says so when you make a server. So they will most likely have more game modes, and more maps... Then theres the single player story which is an actual campaign that you play through, rather then just a bunch of bots on the same maps as mp. So 8-9GB for this game would not be insane.

I've played Unreal Tournament since it came around.. The graphics kind of do look washed out, and its obvious they don't have the textures applied.. for instance the bricks look flat, when they should stick out like they do in Bioshock, but the game does look pretty damn good, and it runs awesome. I am sure once they added shadows to buildings, and the rest of the game in the full version it will slow things down a bit - but Epic knows how to make a game, and thats for certain.

Gameplay this game is sweet - I've spent more then 10 hours playing it so far, luckily I got the Weekend off. I am happy with what I see.. I cannot wait for the Single Player, and the full game to actually come out, and on top of that we got Gears of War to look forward to, this gets better, and better.

I'm not arguing that at all. :) I fully expect the game to be 8GB installed, but saying that the graphics won't look good because the maps are already too big isn't true.

Destroy
10-13-07, 05:13 PM
Here is where it was stated, so just wait till the retail version to judge the graphics:

Thanks for the link. Finally some hint of answers.

Riplayne
10-13-07, 05:37 PM

i dont care about what you/others say , but such uninformed comments spread bad influance to those who havn't played the game yet or those who look for troubles.

this post is not directed to you specifically , it's actually intended for all those who come to the forums to drop comments like yours because i seriously had it with people who only bash graphics without any technical information or viewpoints regarding that subject just because they dont like something in specific (ex. i dont like motion blur so Lost Planet suck or i dont like the FOV in Bioshock so its crap .. etc).

Your missing the issue, its not that people are demanding better and better graphics when new games come out, its that were basically promised that they look a certain way from the loads of screenshots were fed up to the release. When the game comes out and it doesnt nearly look as good as we thought it did in the screens, people feel ripped off.

K007
10-13-07, 06:56 PM
Tim']Nah I doubt it, really. I mean they can do a lot with compression.

I mean, UT2004 had a plethora of graphical options that were not present in the demo. And it did make the game quite a bit better. And we haven't heard the Holy S*** after selecting highest settings in UT3. :D

lol i remember that holy **** ><