PDA

View Full Version : Best Windows Version

CHEVYMAN_02
10-14-07, 02:30 PM
What is the version of Windows for a Dual-Core System?

npras42
10-14-07, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure what response you really expect for this but there's only really 2 Windows that anybody would recommend for a Mid-to-high range PC:

Windows Vista Home Premium (or above)
Windows XP Pro SP2 or Media Center Edition

Revs
10-14-07, 05:47 PM
Anything from XP onwards really exept Vista Basic (it's a bit pap). Get Vista 64bit if ya wanting to use more than 2 gig of RAM though.

crainger
10-14-07, 06:54 PM
Microsoft Bob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob)

Q
10-14-07, 07:03 PM
Microsoft Bob on my Knob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob)

You're a sick little puppy, CraInger.

Q
10-14-07, 07:04 PM
What is the version of Windows for a Dual-Core System?

I recommend XP Pro or MCE. Depending on your needs, a flavor of Vista might suite you.

GeeTeeEx
10-14-07, 07:12 PM
vista ultimate 64bit. definitely doesnt deserve the many negative criticism that it gets.

Q
10-14-07, 07:26 PM
vista ultimate 64bit. definitely doesnt deserve the many negative criticism that it gets.

I think that it all boils down to what you want to do with your machine, honestly.

For my "production/gaming" machine, I still prefer XP.

For my "media server", I love Vista Ultimate. I've got a great HTPC, a good local file server, a personal FTP/HTTP server, and much much more. There are a few quirks here and there (right now I'm having hiccups with video playback...), but overall the general use of it is great.

Bearclaw
10-14-07, 08:10 PM
Microsoft Bob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob)
HOLY ****! Microsoft Bob was awesome! I wish there was a place to find it and download and install it again. I loved that thing.

EDIT: FOUND IT! Dling now!

Bearclaw
10-14-07, 08:25 PM
I think that it all boils down to what you want to do with your machine, honestly.

For my "production/gaming" machine, I still prefer XP.

For my "media server", I love Vista Ultimate. I've got a great HTPC, a good local file server, a personal FTP/HTTP server, and much much more. There are a few quirks here and there (right now I'm having hiccups with video playback...), but overall the general use of it is great.
I would disagree. I don't game at all anymore and I use my PC mainly as a productivity/work PC and with Vista on it it is awesome. Much better than XP and the new features are great. (Mainly Office 2k7 but Vista helps it out)

Q
10-14-07, 08:40 PM
I would disagree. I don't game at all anymore and I use my PC mainly as a productivity/work PC and with Vista on it it is awesome. Much better than XP and the new features are great. (Mainly Office 2k7 but Vista helps it out)
I would disagree with your disagreement. OK, not really. Maybe some.

I think that if ALL I did was game and did Office 07 stuff on Vista on my main machine, that I wouldn't have any problems with it. I just do a WIDE variety of tasks on my PC, and there are a few hickups that prevent it for being my main production system.

Yet. I have confidence it will get patched up and ready to go, hopefully before SP2. ;)

Bearclaw
10-14-07, 08:50 PM
I would disagree with your disagreement. OK, not really. Maybe some.

I think that if ALL I did was game and did Office 07 stuff on Vista on my main machine, that I wouldn't have any problems with it. I just do a WIDE variety of tasks on my PC, and there are a few hickups that prevent it for being my main production system.

Yet. I have confidence it will get patched up and ready to go, hopefully before SP2. ;)
I would disag....eh whatever.

I agree, it has it's problems. However, with Office 2007 and the new Windows Mail, Windows Calendar, Meeting Space, Contacts, etc. it makes for a VERY nice work productivity machine. Does it do everything flawlessly? No, not all but like you said, but by SP1 or 2 it will be gold.

Bearclaw
10-14-07, 08:52 PM
To answer the OP's question, I would go with XP right now if you are gaming and doing a lot of different stuff. Simply put, a lot of programs that you might install and use on a daily basis simply don't have the required support for it right now. Wait a little while.

CHEVYMAN_02
10-14-07, 10:06 PM
the reason i am asking this question is because i have dual-core system list in my sig and i have windows XP home edition installed and i seem to move slow. I when i am installing some game or burning a cd it is kind of slow to react to some things that i do and was just wondering i XP Pro is better than XP Home with a Dual-Core System

crainger
10-14-07, 10:12 PM
No. Pro and Home both support dual core equally. I think you have have 2 physical cpus then you need Pro, though I'm not sure about that. :D

Bearclaw
10-14-07, 10:29 PM
No. Pro and Home both support dual core equally. I think you have have 2 physical cpus then you need Pro, though I'm not sure about that. :D
Your correct on that.

Also, Crainger! Your nearing 12k!!!! ZOMG...

XDanger
10-18-07, 07:00 PM
lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bobboot1.png
With the glasses it says BOOB :)

Glitch85
10-21-07, 03:03 PM
Its defenately Windows Mellenium, or maybe that was that virus I was thinking about :D

john19055
10-24-07, 09:25 AM
I would go with Vista Ultimate 32bit or 64bit if all the software you run has no problems with 64bit.