PDA

View Full Version : 2GB of RAM enough to disable swap file in Windows XP?

Kain
10-14-07, 08:59 PM
:confused:

My bro's HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop has 2GB of RAM and runs Windows XP Home Edition. I disabled the swap file and everything seems fine. I run CS:S and GTR2 and it runs great. But I was just wondering if it is better to just leave it with the swap file?

evilghost
10-14-07, 09:03 PM
I'd leave it disabled and I'd also disable the paging executive.

Kain
10-14-07, 09:15 PM
What is the paging executive and where is it?

evilghost
10-14-07, 09:29 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1327838&postcount=6

Kain
10-14-07, 09:39 PM
Thanks, but what does this do?

evilghost
10-14-07, 10:02 PM
Thanks, but what does this do?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184419

CaptNKILL
10-14-07, 10:42 PM
If you ever do run into any problems with games not loading or locking up for no reason after playing for a while, enable the page file again.

I remember games in the past that used it just to store some temporary stuff that didn't necessarily need to sit in ram. If the page file was disabled, the game wouldn't run.

I wouldn't disable it myself, but if it isn't giving you any problems, then it must be working. :p

Kain
10-14-07, 10:44 PM
If I do re-enable it, what is the recommended size rather than having Windows ajusting it all the time? 500MB?

CaptNKILL
10-14-07, 10:47 PM
If I do re-enable it, what is the recommended size rather than having Windows ajusting it all the time? 500MB?
If you have hard drive space to spare, set it to 2048Mb or 4096Mb.

If you're running low, try 512Mb or 1024Mb.

Thats mostly just out of habit though. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference in system performance with very large or very small swap files.

Eliminator
10-14-07, 11:19 PM
i recommend keeping it on... ive disabled it before and got a few problems... just set it to system managed and forget about it

boow
10-14-07, 11:53 PM
windows will use the swap file even if you got 500 megs of memory free. linux is better about that sort of thing unless you encode alot.

evilghost
10-15-07, 06:13 PM
Why do people still disable the pagefile? Hasn't it been proven time and again that it is nothing more than a placebo "tweak"?

Nope, it works if you disable the PE.

XDanger
10-15-07, 07:01 PM
i fink disable pe puts windows in the ram

swap is on for error logs if your puter fups up

evilghost
10-15-07, 07:37 PM
What exactly "works"? Works as in the system doesn't crash? What benefit comes from having no pagefile if it wasn't being used from having excess physical ram anyway? Seems to me at that point it is just to free up the space.

Think about it: if less system ram = it gets paged...more system ram = it doesn't page? Therefore on or off it shouldn't make any difference other than the lost space, so why do it?

All I'm saying is more than 2.5 years after I first began reading about disabling the pagefile, I have yet to read/see/hear about a single shred of evidence showing a performance increase in anything. If you have some links stating otherwise, please provide them as this has always been something I wanted more info on.
And what is PE?

How about you try it? The reality of the situation is that Windows will page to disk even if there is an abundant amount of physical memory available. This is the price you pay so Grandma can run XP on her Celeron 300A.

evilghost
10-16-07, 06:51 AM
The reason it pages even with an abundance of free physical memory is a manifestation of an ineffecient memory management process. Disabling the PE forces the system to use available RAM and disables the page-to-disk operations. Insufficient RAM results in resource exhaustion, however, if you have enough available RAM then Disk I/O operations are tend to be faster because you're not having to also seek due to page-to-disk.

john19055
11-05-07, 02:50 AM
I had 4gigs of ram installed on XP and had the pagefile disable and I was playing one of the need for speed games and got a error out of memory before.