PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone on this board rich?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

j0j081
10-15-07, 05:09 PM
I've been an active nvnews memeber for a while and when I compare what people are talking about here to other hardware forums it seems like people are usually running a lot nicer setups here. Is everyone fairly well off at nvnews or what? Seems like 97% of people have some version of the 8800 unless all the people with lesser cards are too embarressed to post lol. At other sites it is pretty much equal between posts about newer/older gen cards. Just thought it was kinda strange thats all. Comments?

crainger
10-15-07, 05:13 PM
We work hard and we play hard.

MikeC
10-15-07, 05:19 PM
I think we have more gaming enthusiasts than regular people. NVIDIA has graphic cards for every income level. It just happens most of our posters are the hard core gamers who want the best. NVIDIA's 8800 line is the best to be had. :)

Q
10-15-07, 05:23 PM
I've been an active nvnews memeber for a while and when I compare what people are talking about here to other hardware forums it seems like people are usually running a lot nicer setups here. Is everyone fairly well off here or what? Seems like 97% of people have some version of the 8800 unless all the people with lesser cards are too embarressed to post lol. At other sites it is pretty much equal between posts about newer/older gen cards. Just thought it was kinda strange thats all. Comments?

It is expensive to keep up, but not as bad as most people think. I usually sell off when I buy new, so it's not quite as painful. Pay $500 for cutting edge, get $200-$250 for old card. Repeat every 8-12 months. Not really all that bad.

Monolyth
10-15-07, 05:36 PM
There's a pretty wide variation of folks here, I think you'll find most with big-rigs tend to stick to product cycles, which are generally every 9-12 months. Then there's folks that like to wait to hear how other folks' experiences are. There's a pretty good mix overall I think, I don't think people should be "afraid" to post because of their specs. :)

Slammin
10-15-07, 05:53 PM
I sell my body (nana2)

kingme02
10-15-07, 05:55 PM
im a poor bum with no job.

RAY16
10-15-07, 06:05 PM
No.

/me points at sig

GeeTeeEx
10-15-07, 06:11 PM

amen brotha.

qube
10-15-07, 06:11 PM
i steal $ from my wife

Armed_Baboon
10-15-07, 06:52 PM
buy a new card, sell your old card... repeat every 12 months. longer this time round because there aint no 9800GTX in site.

ATOJAR
10-15-07, 07:16 PM

+1

I work hard(i would say lol), the wife has my bank card :P, i get afew 's a week, anything i want i save up!

The way i see it is this, i love to play games and i spend alot of time at my pc, i want my pc to run smooth, fast & play games that can look good!

methimpikehoses
10-15-07, 07:17 PM
I don't spend a lot of money month to month... I save for my computer parts and don't buy anything until I am prepared to pay cash for it. ;)

Definitely not rich here. I buy shelter, food, transportation, clothing, nursery school tuition, diapers, and the occasional GPU/CPU.

jolle
10-15-07, 07:18 PM
I dont work at all, but play REALLY hard..
I mean like.. really really hard.. harder then most.. hard things..

Well, Im not rich, infact I dont use the 6800GT thats in my sig, cause it died..
School lent me a 7900GT, might try to save up some of the money borrow to study to buy a 8800GT when they come around.
Im studying atm so Im not all that well off, I get by ok, provided I dont buy stuff.. hehe

XDanger
10-15-07, 07:25 PM
I sold stuff on ebay Like a Kermit the Frog Glove Puppet that I bought for 1 to pay for my gts ,that I bought on ebay.

My X-Fi xtreme music was incorrectly labeled as a much cheaper xtreme audio in the 2nd hand shop where I bought it

OEM is much cheaper than retail.

I saved a bucket-load by buying the 250w vga psu

If you dont have lots of money it helps to be clued up.

lognoronon
10-15-07, 07:50 PM
I had to save up for about 4 months for my setup. So I'm sure not rich but I can put something aside each pay check /shrug.

bob saget
10-15-07, 07:52 PM
i steal $ from my wife

:lol:

Blacklash
10-15-07, 08:07 PM
Rich? Rich would be the 10% of our population that holds 70% of our wealth. Spending around 2-3k every six months on electronics is nothing.

malachi1313
10-15-07, 08:18 PM
I'm hardly rich, I have a wife and three kids to take care of. I buy once a year, usually around tax time. This build has lasted me the longest E6600, and 8800GTX. This year I'll probably go sli and pick up another 8800gtx which means I'll need a new motherboard also.

grey_1
10-15-07, 08:28 PM
My athlon 2600 and NV18 onboard graphics chip says I'm not financially rich.

Got the best wife on planet earth though. :)

Nkd
10-15-07, 09:01 PM
It is expensive to keep up, but not as bad as most people think. I usually sell off when I buy new, so it's not quite as painful. Pay $500 for cutting edge, get $200-$250 for old card. Repeat every 8-12 months. Not really all that bad.

same here, I will sell of my ultra's and buy the next gen, and I will probably have to put in 200-350 to get new cards.

krocodile
10-15-07, 09:10 PM
I use my resources to try and keep up. My work gets really good prices on Intel, ATI, Nvidia, etc because we are either partners with the vendor, or have been setup as a reseller which gives us some price breaks. Other times, it's getting bonuses at work which gets put towards my system. Like this month, I got a nice added check, so I bought an 8800GTX. I usually end up selling my old parts to my friends so I don't get that much for them, I give them a HUGE break :D

SH0DAN
10-15-07, 09:34 PM

I dont sell of any of the 'old stuff' I just keep collecting more. :D

verboten
10-15-07, 09:35 PM
Since most people who post here are actually pretty good with computers, chances are they have an IT job that pays significantly more than minimum wage.

I'm not rich, but I definitely make more than double minimum wage...which isn't bad at all for Oklahoma.

Very true. I am 33 and the director of IS for the company i work for. Pay is very nice. I usually upgrade every 4-6 months.

FYI: From an Ars Technica article

A recent study of post-college careers from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (also noted by the Chronicle) found that computer-science grads saw their average starting salary offers grow by 4.5 percent last year alone. The new average salary for a job right out of college is now $53,051. That's the highest amount this decade.

Bman212121
10-15-07, 10:07 PM
I dont sell of any of the 'old stuff' I just keep collecting more. :D

Same here. I still have all 3 of my builds from the past 4 1/2 years.

As MikeC said, a lot of us are ethusiasts. Everyone needs to have a hobby, so rather than say spending money on stuff for my car, I spend it on pc parts instead. I used to make a lot less than I do now, but I would save my money and don't really spend a lot on other things. Also, my current rig is built off of a lot of used parts. The people that are on the bleeding edge tend to use their hardware for a few months then sell it here for the rest of us to be able to enjoy. :) I wouldn't have nearly as good of a rig if it wasn't for that.