PDA

View Full Version : Question about Leadtek GF4 Ti4800 SE's heatsink.

The Punisher
04-12-03, 02:25 AM
Has anybody tried to dismantle the heatsink for Leadtek's GF4 Ti4800 SE 8x AGP card? I'd like to know if there's a special way to remove it & what type of termal compound does it use coz if its using a paste type of compound then I may consider removing it & upgrading to a better one like maybe Arctic Silver. I hope its not permanently glued with an epoxy type of thermal adhesive. Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance.

Head_slinger
04-12-03, 08:54 AM
I dont nkow if its the same HSF as my Ti 4400 but the 4400 is held on by normal pins. It comes off in 2 parts, its a good idea to take it off because when i did the thermal gunk that they used wasnt even covering the whole chip. so i applied some AS3 and all is well :D

The Punisher
05-15-03, 09:59 PM
I really appreciate da help.

marqmajere
05-16-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by The Punisher
I hope its not permanently glued with an epoxy type of thermal adhesive.

Even if it is attached with an epoxy compound, you can always stick it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. That way the compound crystalizes and you can remove it easier. I've done it before and it works just fine.

The Punisher
05-17-03, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by marqmajere
Even if it is attached with an epoxy compound, you can always stick it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. That way the compound crystalizes and you can remove it easier. I've done it before and it works just fine.

Izzat so?? But I thought epoxy compounds already is already hardened?