PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot

Armed_Baboon
10-16-07, 05:46 AM
It's true...

While installing a new hard drive I noticed that the slot occupied by my 8800GTX heatsink/fan still had the slot cover installed. So I've basically had the exhaust from the heat sink/fan blocked for the last 8 months. holy crap. lucky I found it before summer truly hits!!

ATOJAR
10-16-07, 07:16 AM
:headexplode: .... wonder how hot that card was running?

Armed_Baboon
10-16-07, 08:11 AM
well, since I opened up the slot for the exhaust, I've had two BSODs. I closed the next two slots below the card when I opened one slot. I think it was a mistake, because the whole PCI slot array heated up really badly. I don't thining I was blocking the flow of the exhaust, I think most of the exhaust actually blows all over the PCI cards. now I have all 3 slots open.

daforce
10-16-07, 09:31 PM
Time for a case with better air flow me thinks :D

Lucky you didnt kill your card!!

Bearclaw
10-16-07, 10:39 PM
Smooth Rider.

Amuro
10-16-07, 10:53 PM
My card won't fit into the case at all if the second slot cover is not removed. What case do you have?

crainger
10-16-07, 11:13 PM
My card won't fit into the case at all if the second slot cover is not removed. What case do you have?

Might have been a case that has the factory covers that you have to pull/wiggle/cut out. You know the sort that once you pull out can't be reused.

Armed_Baboon
10-17-07, 07:56 PM
it's an antec Sonata. It really wasn't a huge issue actually, because most of the exhaust air actually blows out the side of heat sink into the case anyway. I'm getting a pci slot exhaust fan to blow it all out the back of the case. I consider this a design flaw in teh card. lucky for me I guess.