PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista: hardcrash when playing music in WMP

Dragunov
10-16-07, 09:57 AM
Hi,

Sometimes when I browse the web or talk on msn, the music stops and I get a hardcrash, no error, but my complete PC freezes, so I need to press reset

Happened to me once today when playing HL2: EP1, had no sound anymore, so I saved the game, went out of the game, showed me the dialogue: safe, not safe, and those third option, so did choose not safe and my pc did freeze again ....

Reason?

Vista still soo unstable?

thx

nekrosoft13
10-16-07, 02:11 PM
Hi,

Sometimes when I browse the web or talk on msn, the music stops and I get a hardcrash, no error, but my complete PC freezes, so I need to press reset

Happened to me once today when playing HL2: EP1, had no sound anymore, so I saved the game, went out of the game, showed me the dialogue: safe, not safe, and those third option, so did choose not safe and my pc did freeze again ....

Reason?

Vista still soo unstable?

thx

this is most likelly hardware issue. I had that happen before when my video card was not plugged in all the way.

Re-plugged in the card, and problem was gone.

Few things to check

1) video card like i mentioned above.
2) memory /// memtest
3) OC??

4) could be also faulty driver, driver thats included with d-tools and alcohol can cause that as well, but usually happens right after logon.

5) since its happening with sound, sharing IRQ? conflicts? driver reinstall?

Dragunov
10-16-07, 02:25 PM
this is most likelly hardware issue. I had that happen before when my video card was not plugged in all the way.

Re-plugged in the card, and problem was gone.

Few things to check

1) video card like i mentioned above.
2) memory /// memtest
3) OC??

4) could be also faulty driver, driver thats included with d-tools and alcohol can cause that as well, but usually happens right after logon.

5) since its happening with sound, sharing IRQ? conflicts? driver reinstall?

1. videocard is OK
2. memory not tested yet
3. not overclocked
4. no d-tools, alcohol or any installed on pc
5. maybe share irqs, how to check this in Vista?

thx

Single Player
10-16-07, 02:49 PM
same problem over here!!!:headexplode: complete freeze ! no errors/ just like you said

Creative :rolleyes: no?

Dragunov
10-17-07, 10:44 AM
yes, X-Fi Elite Pro, latest drivers :)

Single Player
10-17-07, 12:11 PM
yes, X-Fi Elite Pro, latest drivers :)

what? you think it's creative's fault? their drivers causing this?

Dragunov
10-17-07, 01:26 PM
It's possible :)

I really don't know :)

Single Player
10-17-07, 05:54 PM
yeah i think it's them. Because when i use logitech headset usb thing with own drivers you know what i'm saying... vista works fine no problem but when i use x-fi it happens not everytime but sometimes. No problems with games. Something not right with WMP or something.. i don't know.

Dragunov
10-18-07, 09:59 AM
Well, in Half Life 2 Ep1, When my sound disappears, I know my OS is gonna crash when I wanna leave the game, happened to me twice

Dragunov
10-18-07, 02:15 PM
Was just on msn and surfing a bit, suddenly pc freezes and my mainboard gave a no stop tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuut

What is this error? :)

I gonna reinstall the old creative drivers

thx

zoomy942
10-18-07, 02:41 PM
onboard audio FTW!

Dragunov
10-18-07, 03:30 PM
onboard audio is disabled, it was just an error, but I don't know what it means

Single Player
10-18-07, 05:06 PM
WOW!!! that's something... just got back to XP! it's been a while.. hello, mister good old buddy XP!

Dragunov
10-19-07, 07:41 AM
Well, I hope SP1 will bring some good stability to Vista, cause the longer I use it, the more I feel the unstability of it :)

zoomy942
10-19-07, 08:56 AM
SP1 does help. i am using it on my 2 tablet pc's and on my workstation.

Dragunov
10-21-07, 03:06 PM
Well, still need to wait till a Dutch version is released...

Mr Bigman
10-21-07, 08:12 PM
I would follow redeemeds words on this. The OS is fine now. Its the noobs who don't know what there doing.

Make sure your not using **** drivers and run your updates and use proper pc housekeeping and you should be ok.

Ive always thought Vista would be a hunk a junk but its working but i know what im doing too.

Q
10-21-07, 08:17 PM
I would follow redeemeds words on this. The OS is fine now. Its the noobs who don't know what there doing.

I feel compelled to repeat this classic evilghost post.

There are no issues with Vista, Vista is the more secure version of Windows to date. Hackers are crushing themselves at the gates of our inpenetrable firewall. File I/O is faster, memory utilization is down, and DX10 is truly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

http://freespace.virgin.net/sanjeev.sarpal/images/intro.1.jpg

Mr Bigman
10-21-07, 11:21 PM
Don't forget it.

Dragunov
10-22-07, 06:24 AM
It seems they have the same spokeman as Iraq, maybe it's his brother or his clone: There are no Americans in Iraq and in the background u saw American tanks passing by :D

AdamK47
10-25-07, 12:01 PM
Did you install the latest X-Fi drivers that were released this month. If you haven't, don't. If you have, uninstall them and install the previous drivers. I received quite a few hard locks with the latest X-Fi drivers. Reverting to the previous drivers fixed it right up.

Dragunov
10-25-07, 12:52 PM
Already moved back to previous drivers, for the moment, no issues anymore, even can play HL2: EP1 now

Creative really need to get their act together, cause I bought a Elite Pro, so the most expensive one and it works, but just like that, I want to see full functionality again in Vista...