PDA

View Full Version : Like we haven't seen enough of these threads...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
10-17-07, 03:45 AM
So I decided to create another. :p

Okay, so I recently purchased 4GB of DDR400 RAM for my rig, check sig for specifics on it.

Anyhow, I am running Vista Ultimate x64- yet for some reason only 3GB is showing up as useable. This actually is displayed in the BIOS- it detects 4GB (say 4096MB actually, and that is 4GB), but next to it says in parathesis: (3072 Useable). WTF is that about? Does anybody know? Why is my mobo limiting me to only using 3GB? It's not DDR500, DDR550, DDR600, or anything off like that. It isn't exceedingly aggressive timings, nor excessive voltage. It's pretty standard DDR400 RAM.

Any ideas? Might it be a BIOS update? If so I'm possibly S.O.O.L. as the ASUS auto updater doesn't seem to work with Vista, and I do not feel comfortable updating my BIOS via command-prompt.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciate- so thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: Forgot screen shot. Here's a shot with two CPU-z screens up, everest Ultimate, and the properties page for My Computer:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Sir_Farts_A_Lot/WhydoesVistanotrecogniseall4GB.jpg

Not sure if that shot helps any, let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again. :D

Bearclaw
10-17-07, 04:00 AM
Off topic- That is an awesome background. Think you could post it?

crainger
10-17-07, 04:06 AM
8/9/07 Mom paid me $25 towards my sex change operation.

Redeemed
10-17-07, 04:07 AM
Off topic- That is an awesome background. Think you could post it?

I'll already have... I can PM you if need the link. Just let me know.

Thanks. Oh- and I took that picture. ;)

Redeemed
10-17-07, 04:07 AM
8/9/07 Mom paid me $25 towards my sex change operation.

You bastard! :rofl

Instead of lending a helping hand your prod and joke? My kinda' chap! :p

crainger
10-17-07, 04:08 AM
I'm helping.

Seriously though. Sounds like you'll need a BIOS update. You're just gonna have to buck up and learn how to boot from a floppy/CD/USB and flash that BIOS!

Redeemed
10-17-07, 04:12 AM
I'm helping.

Seriously though. Sounds like you'll need a BIOS update. You're just gonna have to buck up and learn how to boot from a floppy/CD/USB and flash that BIOS!

I can do it Crainger- heck I started out on DOS back in the day, it's rather familiar turf for me as it's my old "stomping grounds" you could say.

The problem is, after much trouble (many months ago) I finally got this rig up and running- *SOLID AND STABLE*, hence why I've not attempted an overclock yet. I don't want to risk doing anything to bork this rig up requiring me to invest further time into that I just simply don't have.

Follow me?

But, I'm afraid you're right. It's more than likely a BIOS issues as the BIOS states it recognized 4GB of RAM, but it only allows 3GB to be useable for some dumb reason. Maybe I should break the manual out and see what it says on this matter. I could simply be over looking something also...

Redeemed
10-17-07, 04:44 AM
Goto your manual page 4.26 and find this:

Hardware Memory Hole [Disabled]
Enables or disables software memory remapping around memory hole.
This feature is supported only by REV E0 processors or higher.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]

I believe that is your missing item.

Thank you! That is precisely the kind of advice I was searching for. I will try this now.

Redeemed
10-17-07, 04:57 AM
Well, the computer now recognizes all 4GB... but it is acting strange. It took longer than it should have to load into the Desktop, and now my sound is all scratchy and popping. Might I be stuck with on-board sound only? I don't mind, but this X-Fi is a rather nice card and I'd prefer to keep using it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh! And WMP11 no longer plays my music files, it's like it can't find an audio device, yet my X-Fi drivers are still installed. Wierd...

buffbiff21
10-17-07, 05:01 AM
Vista + X-Fi + 4GB RAM = bad;
Solution = XP

Redeemed
10-17-07, 05:03 AM
Vista + X-Fi + 4GB RAM = bad;
Solution = XP

There's no fix for this? Please tell me there's some good news...

If there is no fix for this, I'm ditching the X-Fi and going back to on-board audio. It really didn't sound half bad. Though it definitely doesn't sound as good as the X-Fi, I can easily live without it.

Well, any possible fix to get my X-Fi working? Besides ditching Vista and going XP?

buffbiff21
10-17-07, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately, not that I know of. I just got Vista and have been dealing with a fair share of issues myself.

You have all the most recent drivers, right? I know it's a dummy question but it couldn't hurt to make sure.

Redeemed
10-17-07, 05:08 AM
Unfortunately, not that I know of. I just got Vista and have been dealing with a fair share of issues myself.

Honestly, before I put in the 4GB Vista seemed to run perfectly- almost. After installing the X-Fi I noticed I was getting the BSOD in some games, more "stressing" games to be exact: Oblivion, FarCry, FEAR, etc. I'm not certain if that's tied to the X-Fi or the new Forceware drivers I just installed.

Anywho, looks like the X-Fi is comming out, atleast for now. :(

buffbiff21
10-17-07, 05:14 AM
Let me guess. IRQ not less or equal?

Sounds like faulty memory to me. You test it?

Redeemed
10-17-07, 05:23 AM
Let me guess. IRQ not less or equal?

Sounds like faulty memory to me. You test it?

Nope- that wasn't the message. Don't recall the exact wording so I'll have to paraphrase. It was something like this: "THREAD_HAS_LOCKED_PROCESS_PAGES" or something to that effect. And upon reloading into windows, Vista would detect an error, and the problem was always my dispay driver and the solution it mentioned was to try using a newer driver. Unfortunately, there are no newer, non-beta forceware drivers out. :(

Redeemed
10-17-07, 05:45 AM
Well, my onboard sound seems to work fine. I'm gonna' fire up FarCry and see if it'll play a bit and allow me to exit without giving me the BSOD.

Here goes...

Redeemed
10-17-07, 06:17 AM
Well, FarCry now works. No BSOD. Later I'll try Oblivion. For now, I'm going to bed. :D :p

nekrosoft13
10-17-07, 07:25 AM
Vista + X-Fi + 4GB RAM = no problem;
Solution = none needed

minor fix

been x-fi'ng on vista64 with 4gb ram for close two months now.

nekrosoft13
10-17-07, 07:27 AM
Nope- that wasn't the message. Don't recall the exact wording so I'll have to paraphrase. It was something like this: "THREAD_HAS_LOCKED_PROCESS_PAGES" or something to that effect. And upon reloading into windows, Vista would detect an error, and the problem was always my dispay driver and the solution it mentioned was to try using a newer driver. Unfortunately, there are no newer, non-beta forceware drivers out. :(

don't use the latest creative drivers .13 that have veen recalled. use the .12 version

crainger
10-17-07, 06:00 PM
Also do you have all of the Vista reliability and compatibility patches on? These addressed a lot of the THREAD_HAS_LOCKED_PROCESS_PAGES BSoD. But Nekro is right. The latest drivers that were pulled did cause all of my games to BSoD on exit. :(

einstein_314
10-17-07, 09:00 PM
No problems here either with Vista x64 + 4GB + X-Fi.

evilghost
10-17-07, 09:03 PM
I just wanted to come in here and add the following:

There are no problems with Vista.
Vista works awesome for me.
Vista is 100% stable for me.
All issues regarding Vista being worse than XP are false.
Vista is the most secure version of Windows ever.

That is all. Thank you.

XxDeadlyxX
10-17-07, 10:06 PM
lies :captnkill:

Vista x64 + 4GB Ram + X-Fi XtremeMusic all working flawlessly here with the 2.15.0002 drivers.

DiscipleDOC
10-18-07, 11:15 AM
I'm interested to see how it will be once you get your new stuff.....:bleh:

XDanger
10-18-07, 08:07 PM
My microphone didnt work with the recalled x-fi driver otherwise no probs