PDA

View Full Version : At my wits' end...

Pages : [1] 2

911medic
10-19-07, 01:17 PM
I recently upgraded my router (see this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97047)) from an OLD Belkin 802.11b/WEP-only unit to a shiny new Linksys WRT54GL. I was able to get my laptop connected w/WPA2 enabled and everything's peachy there. Just today, I finally replaced my kid's old USB 802.11b adapter with a "g" model (the old one didn't support WPA), and it's up & running just fine.

My problem is that I cannot get my wife's work laptop (a new Dell) to properly connect wirelessly. This has been the case from day 1 of the new router. She's been connecting via hard line since then.

Using Windows' Wireless Zero Config, I'm able to get it to take the WPA2 key (it wouldn't using the Dell wireless utility), and it connects to the router, but then comes up with a message that the connection has "little or no connectivity."

I've made sure the MAC address isn't being filtered, and I can look in the router control panel and see the MAC address of the laptop, so I know they're "seeing" each other.

But for the life of me I can't get it to functionally connect.

Any ideas?

lduguay
10-19-07, 01:54 PM
DHCP server is enabled right? Have you tried a static address on her laptop.

ViN86
10-19-07, 02:28 PM
DHCP server is enabled right? Have you tried a static address on her laptop.
that's what i was going to say, try a static IP.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 02:37 PM
since its a dell, your best bet is to download the Dell Wireless software and try that to confirm that everything works right. on HP tablets, i have a ton more luck using the intel wireless application than the windows zero config stuff.

trust me, try it.

911medic
10-19-07, 02:43 PM
since its a dell, your best bet is to download the Dell Wireless software and try that to confirm that everything works right. on HP tablets, i have a ton more luck using the intel wireless application than the windows zero config stuff.

trust me, try it.I have. I can't even get it to get this far using the Dell software. It won't accept the WPA2 key. It says it wants a key that is "between 8 and 63 characters long," and the key everything else uses is 64 characters long (generated by a key generator). I even tried shortening the key by 1 character (in both the router and the Dell software), and it still didn't work. Switched to Windows Zero software, plugged in the key, and it connects to the router, but has "limited or no connectivity."

zoomy942
10-19-07, 02:46 PM
have you tried a differnt encryption method just to see the dell connect>?

911medic
10-19-07, 02:47 PM
DHCP server is enabled right? Have you tried a static address on her laptop.If you mean on her laptop, under the TCP/IP settings, then yes. Under "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" it has DHCP enabled.

If you mean in the router's settings, it is set to "Automatic Configuration--DHCP" and "DHCP Server" is set to "enable."

I have not tried a static IP on her laptop. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do this.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 02:51 PM
i dont agree with making a static ip. if the other dives grab a dhcp address fine, so thats not the problem. through the troubleshooting, it seemjs like a software issue nwith your dell. i am sure you altready got newer drivers, so i would for testing, try a different encryption method. wpa or wep; just to see it connect.

911medic
10-19-07, 02:53 PM
i dont agree with making a static ip. if the other dives grab a dhcp address fine, so thats not the problem. through the troubleshooting, it seemjs like a software issue nwith your dell. i am sure you altready got newer drivers, so i would for testing, try a different encryption method. wpa or wep; just to see it connect.I will give another encryption method a try.

I am very limited with what I can update on her laptop. Her IT department is very strict about changes, and if she has some other problem down the road and they see that she has different drivers loaded, they will chastise her like a kindergartner in the principal's office.

911medic
10-19-07, 02:54 PM
I'm taking some screenshots of my router settings and her laptop settings. I'll post them here and see if anyone sees somthing obvious that I'm missing.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 02:56 PM
ill keep an eye on this thread for a while so post away.

i bet you lunch a different encryption method will work.

911medic
10-19-07, 02:57 PM
ill keep an eye on this thread for a while so post away.

i bet you lunch a different encryption method will work.You may be right, but that would sort of defeat the whole purpose of me getting this new router, so I hope not.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 03:26 PM
thats not eitrely true. your wireless range surely has increased and the amount of clients it can handle has also increased.

911medic
10-19-07, 04:00 PM
thats not eitrely true. your wireless range surely has increased and the amount of clients it can handle has also increased.Actually, I had no range/number of client issues with the old router.

But anyway...

Attached are some screenshots of my router settings.

28565 28566 28567 28568 28569

In the fifth pic, you can see my wife's laptop is recognized by the router (it's the one that starts with "USRTC").

911medic
10-19-07, 04:08 PM
And some more:

28575 28576 28577 28578 28579

You can see on the "Wireless Client MAC List" pic that my wife's laptop's MAC address is recognized as an active connection, but there is no IP address or client host name shown. When connecting, her wireless software hangs on "acquiring network address" for a while, then displays the "limited/no connectivity" message.

Also, on the wireless settings pic you can see I can choose from AES or TKIP+AES. I originally had it set to TKIP+AES, but also tried just AES. No difference. I'll try plain ol' WPA next.

911medic
10-19-07, 04:14 PM
And finally, pics from the laptop itself:

28580 28581 28582 28583 28584

You can see that the two middle pics are from the Dell wireles utility, and that WPA2 is not an option. The two leftmost pics are from Windows Wireless Zero Config, and it does allow you to choose WPA2. You can also see that it only lets you choose TKIP or AES, not TKIP+AES. This is the only place that would accept the WPA key I'm using as well.

Also, in the rightmost pic, you can see she connects to her work servers using the "AGN" VPN. I have disconnected it and tried to connect to the wireless network, it doesn't matter.

911medic
10-19-07, 04:47 PM
I have tried WEP, WPA, WPA2 TKIP, WPA2 AES, no help. Every time her laptop attempts to connect to the router, it hangs for a while on "acquiring network address," then comes back with the "limited or no connectivity" message. However, it appears to be connected at this point, as the wireless utilities show it being connected to the network, and the router "sees" her laptop.

If I thought I was pulling my hair out before... :banghead: :banghead:

evilghost
10-19-07, 05:10 PM
Hardwire her to ethernet and run Windows Update. Holler if the problem persists after that. I'm thinking you're missing the WPA/WPA2 patch.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 05:38 PM
i was going to suggest the same thing. dang, i thought i was gonna be smarter:)

i'm still a nub

911medic
10-19-07, 08:07 PM
Hardwire her to ethernet and run Windows Update. Holler if the problem persists after that. I'm thinking you're missing the WPA/WPA2 patch.Tried that back at the beginning of all this...made no difference.

EDIT: BTW, EG, I just finished installing Ubuntu 7.10 on my second HDD. Feeling really disoriented, LOL!

911medic
10-19-07, 08:07 PM
i'm still a nubYou got nothing on me, pal! LOL

evilghost
10-19-07, 08:20 PM
Dang. I wish I had advice but I don't. I guess when it says "limited/no connectivity" run "ipconfig /all" and tell me the IP for the WiFi interface, if it's 169.x.x.x then it's expecting a DHCP value and not getting it.

zoomy942
10-19-07, 09:57 PM
correct. it will say auto config address if it cant pull an ip address. this themost common result of not pulling an address. can you connect with it wide open, with no encryption at all? that would eliminate the encryption variable fromour equation and pov whether or not it can connect at all.

so.. in the interest of throughness, if you dont mind, fully reset your router to factory defaults, then enable wireless and leave it open, place your router and wireless adapter in the dell to channel 1. channel 11 and 6 are most common and therefore most noisey. then see if it connects as it shold.

if it does then we know that something aout encrypting as a whole is the problem, if it does not then we kow it has to do with the wireless adapter.

troubleshooting ftw

ViN86
10-19-07, 09:58 PM
Actually, I had no range/number of client issues with the old router.

But anyway...

Attached are some screenshots of my router settings.

28565 28566 28567 28568 28569

In the fifth pic, you can see my wife's laptop is recognized by the router (it's the one that starts with "USRTC").
just to check, you realize that you have room for only 4 DHCP clients based on those settings right?

cause i mean, if you already have 4 computers connected, then there's your problem right there lol

try changing it to 10 and see if you can connect it. if not, change it back...

911medic
10-19-07, 10:12 PM
just to check, you realize that you have room for only 4 DHCP clients based on those settings right?

cause i mean, if you already have 4 computers connected, then there's your problem right there lol

try changing it to 10 and see if you can connect it. if not, change it back...Good GOD!!! I'm such an IDIOT!!!

LOL...

ViN86, it worked!!!! I can't believe I'm so stupid...

In the interest of security, I set this to 4, thinking we've go 2 laptops and 2 desktops here at home. Somehow, 4 DHCP clients isn't enough, though? I'll drop it one by one and see where the cutoff is.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, guys, for all the help!!!

EDIT: Turns out, I needed 5. One for my laptop, one for my desktop, one for my kid's PC, and 2 for the wife's PC (one hardline and one wireless). Unbelievable.