PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Working On HD DVD Xbox 360?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
10-19-07, 04:58 PM
A pretty convincing rumor reports that Microsoft is teaming up with Toshiba to make a new Xbox 360 to compete with Sony's HD-enticing Blu-ray PS3. Here are the potential proposed specs that would come standard in the new device:

- HD DVD
- 1080p w/HDMI (doesn't sound much different)
- Wireless Networking
- dual HD tuners with program guide (no dvr?)
- MP3 player dock (possibly a new open standard ala ipod...won't happen, Zune is USB)
- Toshiba is also exploring a 40-inch TV that can dock the 360
- This same TV dock could allow for more hard drive or component swappability
- Expected in late 2008 or CES 2009

And here's the quote that adds some more (rumored) credibility to the rumor:

An Xbox with a built in HD DVD drive is critical. They and we are working on it. It also has to be more than a gaming machine. Microsoft recognise this. A version of the device may also be sold under the Toshiba brand name.
That comes from an unnamed Toshiba rep. But if Microsoft puts the ball in Toshiba's court to make this happen, what do they have to lose? At minimum, Toshiba could build Xboxes better than Microsoft.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/toshiba-working-on-hd-dvd-xbox-360-312930.php

Lyme
10-19-07, 06:04 PM
- dual HD tuners with program guide (no dvr?)
- Expected in late 2008 or CES 2009

Anything with dual tuners would have dvr ability.
The end of 2008 is a LONG way away.

LycosV
10-20-07, 12:43 AM
I don't see it happening with the X-Box name. Microsoft has been standing strong with the "game consoles don't need to play HD movies" theory and it's been working for them. If they do make a home theater device like this I bet it will be marketed with "Can play X-Box 360 games" but won't technically BE an X-Box 360.

evilchris
10-20-07, 12:58 AM
Game console should focus 100% on GAMING. I buy real machines for media playback.

Lyme
10-20-07, 12:32 PM
Game console should focus 100% on GAMING. I buy real machines for media playback.

MS has also been pimping a modified 360 as a IPTV tuner, of course you would only get it through the likes of AT&T and such. So I can see Toshiba releasing a branded 360 as a HD-DVD player, etc..

nekrosoft13
10-20-07, 12:49 PM
this could be something like Nintendo/Panasonic deal. Where Panasonic made their own gamecube.

Mr. Hunt
10-20-07, 01:21 PM
If they don't fix the horrible audio options for the add-on (well ok it wouldn't be an add-on anymore) then it is a big problem.

Lyme
10-20-07, 07:13 PM
If they don't fix the horrible audio options for the add-on (well ok it wouldn't be an add-on anymore) then it is a big problem.

Horrible options? how so?

Mr. Hunt
10-20-07, 07:49 PM
Horrible options? how so?

No way to get lossless out of the add-on.

Lyme
10-20-07, 10:49 PM
No way to get lossless out of the add-on.

True, the HD-DVD addon does not currently support the output of TrueHD audio in that format. However, MS could potentially add support for it in the future. The question remains however, how many people have a receiver that supports TrueHD. Plus most HD-DVD and BD movies do not have a TrueHD soundtrack (yes there are a few). As such I don't consider it a big deal right now, possibly it will be in the future, but my system doesn't support TrueHD decoding and I don't feel like upgrading quite yet.

BioHazZarD
10-21-07, 08:33 AM
they should done a 360 with hddvd and wifi from the start but no they laughed at sony for choosing bluray and look now.

LurkerLito
10-21-07, 11:00 AM
Regardless of the lossless audio option which they really need to put into the system, if they don't fix the biggest problem with the xbox360 and HD-DVD movies, that insane jet engine of a fan, this will not sell well at all IMO. The PS3 is 10x more quiet than the 360 and yet people still complain about the fan noise on the PS3 is loud. I mainly stopped buying HD-DVDs because my 360 is just so dam loud that it just ruins the film in any low noise scenes.

ViN86
10-21-07, 11:42 AM
True, the HD-DVD addon does not currently support the output of TrueHD audio in that format. However, MS could potentially add support for it in the future. The question remains however, how many people have a receiver that supports TrueHD. Plus most HD-DVD and BD movies do not have a TrueHD soundtrack (yes there are a few). As such I don't consider it a big deal right now, possibly it will be in the future, but my system doesn't support TrueHD decoding and I don't feel like upgrading quite yet.
ROFL

TrueHD? what's next, "Super Ultra HD"? followed by "Amazingly Good Super Resolution, We Will Make You Sh*t Your Pants HD"?

theres some nice Sony fed BULLSH*T. :rofl

Lyme
10-21-07, 11:43 AM
they should done a 360 with hddvd and wifi from the start but no they laughed at sony for choosing bluray and look now.

It was a smart move by MS and the right one. The hd-dvd spec was not finalized when the 360 was released, and BD spec is still not in final form. The HDMI spec was not finalized when the 360 released, and they are up to version 1.3? now. As PS3 owners know, there was a huge shortage of blue lasers causing supply issues. And most games for the 360 fit perfectly well within 9gigs, and adding the hd-dvd drive internally would have simply jacked up the price.

WiFi, however, likely should have been in the 360 from the start. The cost of adding WiFi is around ~5.00 per unit.

Lyme
10-21-07, 11:45 AM
ROFL

TrueHD? what's next, "Super Ultra HD"? followed by "Amazingly Good Super Resolution, We Will Make You Sh*t Your Pants HD"?

Nah, TrueHD is a development of Dolby Labs, and is part of both the HD-DVD and BD spec.

Dr.Nick
10-21-07, 11:47 AM
They should have done this from the start and actually also made the games on HD DVD disks. Then we could avoid the three -maybe more in the future?- disk games and maybe we could also get a quieter system because the disk wouldn't have to spin at 40,000 rpms to get a decent transfer rate.
I'll also agree with LurkerLito that you really have to be nuts to use the 360 as a movie player..

Lyme
10-21-07, 12:27 PM
I use my 360 as a dvd player, and a media center extender, but then again, my 360 isn't that loud.

Mr. Hunt
10-21-07, 12:27 PM
ROFL

Shows how very little you know about the different AUDIO codecs.

ViN86
10-21-07, 12:47 PM
Shows how very little you know about the different AUDIO codecs.
i know nothing of audio codecs.

*opens mouth, inserts foot*

crainger
10-21-07, 05:20 PM
i know nothing of audio codecs.

*opens mouth, inserts foot*

LOL I made the same mistake not long ago. :(

ViN86
10-21-07, 07:03 PM
Well, as long as you can admit to it.

When I'm wrong about something I try to just shrug it off and say "Hey, I was misinformed...STFU"
lol

yea im not too proud to admit im wrong :p

Lyme
10-21-07, 08:03 PM
I know quite a bit about audio codecs, however knowing isn't half the problem. As we age our ability to hear deteriorates as well, so much that in many cases your best hearing is before the age of 16. While my hearing is quite good, I have a very hard time telling the difference between Dolby DTS and an equivalent lossless encoding.

evilchris
10-21-07, 10:49 PM

Hey genius, did you know that HD DVD had not yet launched when X360 did? How would Microsoft launch with a format that wasn't even ready yet? Duh.

Yeah, look now...X360 kicking the ever living **** out of the PS3 in sales.

crainger
10-21-07, 11:13 PM
Hey genius, did you know that HD DVD had not yet launched when X360 did? How would Microsoft launch with a format that wasn't even ready yet? Duh.

Careful. He is an United States Colonial Marine Marine. :rolleyes:

Mr. Hunt
10-22-07, 12:14 AM

Easy... don't launch the system before it is ready... which it is quite apparent that they rushed it with all of the RROD problems.