PDA

View Full Version : ps2 finally on the way out

Lyme
10-21-07, 01:57 AM
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17847

PlayStation 2 software sales fell 47%Y/Y to $85mn, representing a deceleration from the 33% Y/Y decline last month. While this substantial decline was inevitable, it is currently unclear whether the drop reflects consumer transition to next-gen software or weak spending patterns amongst the low-end consumer. Needless to say, with tougher comps ahead for PS2 software sales, we think that the PS2 may finally be on its way out of the industry for good," Patel declared.

ASUSEN7900GTX
10-21-07, 05:22 AM
damn it that means no more PS2 games wich in my opinion is a disaster for Sony as they wont sell that many PS3s and games since they cost way too much to buy and games are way too expensive and PS2 has more customers than PS3 have this is a bad thing indeed

Bman212121
10-21-07, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's because there are a few games coming out that make the PS3 more desirable along with the price drop that got customer to make the transition.

Zelda_fan
10-21-07, 02:17 PM
Maybe it's because there are a few games coming out that make the PS3 more desirable along with the price drop that got customer to make the transition.

reality check. PS3 sales are still in the gutter. Sony simply got "de-throned" there is no two bones about it.

SeriTonin
10-21-07, 03:27 PM
Meh, what's the big deal? All old systems, die. Cube and xbox 1 are dead, ps2 should be no different at this point in it's life.

PS3 is pretty much a dead horse to beat on as far as it's future goes...

I'll just say hopefully ps4 is more developer friendly.

Mathesar
10-21-07, 11:42 PM
reality check. PS3 sales are still in the gutter. Sony simply got "de-throned" there is no two bones about it.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree.

NaitoSan
10-22-07, 05:29 AM
ps3 does have some left to go if sony does something soon. otherwise ps3 will remind 3rd for this generation. hopefully ps4 will be far better. i'm not going to rule ps3 out just yet.

Thingding
10-22-07, 05:40 AM
The PS2 has had one hell of a lifecycle for a console and we'll all be here in six years saying the same about the PS3. It's def a very slow start and microsoft have some great games this xmas to wipe the floor with sony, but personally i doubt that'll be the case in two years time.

Still I won't be buying a PS3 for another year. Hardly anything to play on it! :D

ENU291
10-22-07, 08:26 AM
Sony's arrogance got the better of them. It happens all the time to big corporations that think that their brand name will supersede all other aspects of any particular product. Obviously the PS3 will have it's share of triple A titles but (IMO) not enough to pull itself out of third place. If things continue the way they are currently going I doubt we'll see a PS4.

Lyme
10-22-07, 11:34 AM
I'm not saying the PS3 will pull out of 3rd place, but compared to past consoles that have had successors it is doing just fine.

You can't simply compare the PS3 to it's successors, you need to take into account the performance of the other consoles this time around. If we look at this unsourced graph http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1419067&postcount=5
The 360 has the current trend of the DC
The Wii has the current trend of the PS2
There is no corrisponding trend for the PS3, and it's sales are worse than the PS2 in the same period.

All of that doesn't take into account that there were really only two consoles in the previous race, and Sony's current cosole debuted at over twice the price of the PS2.