PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 1GB vs. 2 x 2GB

Kain
10-21-07, 03:41 AM
Will there be any difference in performance or overclocking potential with 4 x 1GB vs. 2 x 2GB RAM setup?

Absolution
10-21-07, 05:44 AM
4x1gb will maybe minimize your oc because if one module doesn't reach the highest speed, they all doing (weakest link in the chain blah blah).

2gb modules don't oc as well as 1gb modules.

so, like always, oc's are luck and it could go either way
that being said, i'd go with whatever is cheapest, an oc on your memory isn't nearly as important as it used to be (and generally doesn't impact performance)

however, if you have some kind of linked front side buss where it depends on the speed of the memory, then i'd go with 2gbx2 cause you will probably be able to get a higher cpu oc then ^^

hopefully this is readable...

Dazz
10-21-07, 05:51 AM
And depending on if you mother board is capable to run the DIMM's at their factory rated speed when all slots are occupied, eg. you have 4x1GB sticks of PC6400 they would be limited to 666MHz speed. If you have 4x1GB PC8500 they would be limited to 800MHz speed. Only mother boards that seem to run them at full speed with all DIMM's seems to be the Intel P35 and X38 chipsets.

daforce
10-25-07, 04:11 AM
Ahh good thread, was thinking about this the other day.

Im looking at putting in another 2GB of ram, currently have 2x1GB stick of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D 4,4,4,12 Dominator memory. And want to add another 2GB of the exact same stuff.

My mobo is a Asus P5B deluxe, will adding another 2GB mean the ram will only run at 667mhz? I want to push my quad up to 3.6ghz and will need 800mhz to do that properly.

I can reach 3.6ghz now easily with the ram at 4,4,4,12 and no problem but the cpu isnt 100% happy ... gave a calc error in orthos, so i think i need to do the vdroop pencil trick and sort the voltages out first. Then its fine.

But primarily wondering if adding another 2GB will have a negative impact on my OC chances?
Or should I put a fresh 4GB of 1066mhz ram?

(didnt think it necessary to post a new thread given its all of the same subject :D )

Redeemed
10-25-07, 04:22 AM
Hmm...

I just went with two 2x1GB kits cause the price was right, and my mobo doesn't support more than 4GB RAM.

Haven't tried oc'ing this system yet. I'll probably try though once I can improve my cooling a bit (hopefully sometime next week).

daforce
10-25-07, 05:05 AM
I have a feeling the older nforce4 boards were rather picy and didnt like OC with a full bank of ram... although im not 100% sure.

gulizard
10-25-07, 09:49 AM
And depending on if you mother board is capable to run the DIMM's at their factory rated speed when all slots are occupied, eg. you have 4x1GB sticks of PC6400 they would be limited to 666MHz speed. If you have 4x1GB PC8500 they would be limited to 800MHz speed. Only mother boards that seem to run them at full speed with all DIMM's seems to be the Intel P35 and X38 chipsets.

Aren't the 680is capable of 4 DIMM's, at full speed?

The 680i can handle it as well - seems that what you are saying isn't really all that true - just tested it as well with one of my old DDR boards. My MSI Nforce4 chip runs 4 1GB sticks at PC3700 fine, I ain't calling you a liar but so far both boards I've tried this on are fine at stock speeds with no issues. One of my boys is bring his nforce board over its an amd 64 system, with DDR2 and I'll try them to...

Dragunov
10-25-07, 12:19 PM
680i can handle up to 8GB

gulizard
10-25-07, 12:41 PM
680i can handle up to 8GB

Yeah they can - but what I was saying was the guy who said previously that the only boards can handle the RAM at their speeds was the X38 and the P35. When in fact a lot of boards besides that can handle 4GB with no problems, at their given speeds. I'd try 8GB without thinking, would probably work out fine.