PDA

View Full Version : Can card be broken if opengl dies?

hordaktheman
04-12-03, 07:18 PM
Opengl on my geforce4 ti4200 is dead. I mean completely.
d3d works fine but opengl just doesn't work. I've done 3 reinstalls,
but nothing works. Half-life tells me that "this opengl mode is not supported", quake3 crashes, and the nvidia demos just revert to software acceleration (veeeerrry slow).

Directx and opengl use the same pipelines, right?
Surely my card isn't broken if d3d works, but NOT opengl?

Please help.

digitalwanderer
04-12-03, 08:05 PM
What OS?
Which drivers?
When you say you "re-installed 3 times" could you give us a thumbnail sketch of how you re-installed it?

On the brightside, I've never heard of a card being busted if openGL doesn't work and D3D does. They use the same physical hardware, they just do it a bit differently. (I think)

I think you got a driver problem more than a hardware problem. :)

StealthHawk
04-13-03, 03:41 AM
as other people have noted, this sounds like a driver problem.

have you tried installing nvidia's reference drivers?

I have seen this problem before on different systems, and it was fixed by installing the reference drivers. although, i've never heard of OpenGL suddenly not working, all this was on new systems/newly reformatted systems

hordaktheman
04-13-03, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the help all, I know I should have been more thorough, but for the record, I am what most people would consider "a poweruser" (even though I hate that word).

However, I found out what the problem was. I had been experimenting with linux on this HD and apparently, when I reinstalled windows, it didn't partition the drive properly so that the first 8 megs of the drive were unpartitioned. Using a linux fdisk / diskmanager, I repartitioned the drive so that these first 8 megs weren't empty, and that fixed the problem.

I don't know why this would disable / kill opengl support within windows, but it does, and I know enough about computers to recognize this as a bug, either in windows, or nvidia's drivers.

Thanks anyway all.

By the way, I tried 4 different driver revisions between 30.82 - 43.45, winxp with and without sp1, and I even tried removing all addin boards and drives, meaning that xp was completely bare, so Ive pretty much ruled out everything except for this partition issue.

GlowStick
04-13-03, 12:14 PM
Whoa, that is one werid fix to a problem, cant argue with results though!

CrashMaster
04-16-03, 02:57 PM
hmm ok thats a new one for me ... the problem I have and cannot figure out is d3d will either BSOD the computer or the d3d program will just quit in windows XP.

I can run Opengl Games allday long. The d3d errors happen with the defalt xp drivers ,3x.xx 4x.00 drivers with or with without the Via 4-1s and with or without dx9. I have tried turning off and down the agp settings, underclocking the card and the cpu. The errors also happen with or without sound.

The same errors also happen if I put my Geforce 4 in the computer.

any Ideas?

CrashMaster

that systems specs.
Iwill KK266
athlon2100+(.18)
512mb sdram
Geforce DDR 32mb
onboard sound

:confused: :banghead:

digitalwanderer
04-18-03, 11:56 PM
Are you overclocking at all?

Whenever I'm finding out the limits of me new hardware, I now always start off with 3dm2k1se first because I've noticed that D3D tends to strain my machines more than openGL. (one of the reasons I tend to like openGL better...but that's just a personal thing)

My other question would be what games in particular are you trying for D3D, it might give us more to chew on. ;)

CrashMaster
04-19-03, 11:49 AM
heh nope running at stock speeds and I have tried UNDERCLOCKING both the motherboard and the Geforce DDR.

D3d games I have tried...all have failed with either a bsod or just quit.

3dmark 2k1/2k3, unreal T.2k3 , bf1942, nascar 2003 (N3 works in opengl fine)

OpenGl games that I have tried ... all have worked
Counterstrike, MOH, nascar2003 in open gl mode

3dmark 2k1 gave me this error 1 time (can't get it to do that again)
Name 3DMark2001 SE
Build 330
Error log
---------
setFullscreen - creating the device failed : D3DERR_DEVICELOST

I am going to try a diff powersupply sometime soon ...(but all my other ones are smaller)

CrashMaster
:afro:

CrashMaster
04-21-03, 12:42 PM
oh and I have also tried a Geforce 4 ti4400 in it with the same results....

CrashMaster