PDA

View Full Version : BSOD on boot...oh what fun!

ChaoticNick
10-21-07, 08:18 PM
Ok, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Windows or Linux section, but here goes.

I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my drive that had XP on it already. I used the Guided option in the installer to shrink the partition and leave 20GB for Ubuntu. After I had Ubuntu installed and everything working fine in it, I tried booting XP, I see the XP splash screen, but I'm getting the 0x00000024 stop error, even with safe mode, last good config, etc.

I did some research and I think it has something to do with ntfs.sys, and to use the chkdsk option in the recovery console on the xp cd, but that didn't help. When I try accessing the partition from within ubuntu, it says it cannot mount the volume.

Tips/ideas(besides formatting)?

grey_1
10-21-07, 08:27 PM
You're getting all the way to the splash, but you titled the thread BSOD on boot? Just asking to be clear on the problem. Getting to the splash rules out GRUBs config. I would say resizing your partition may have damaged it. Did you back it up first?

If not, I would suggest plugging it into a rig with a known good installation, and trying to recover files you don't want to lose, then select the repair option from your win install disc.

ChaoticNick
10-21-07, 08:34 PM
Sorry, yes I meant on windows startup, it shows the splash screen for about a second before the bsod. Also, I agree the resizing of the partition is the likely cause, but I'm not sure why it would do that. I'll go try the repair now.

grey_1
10-21-07, 08:37 PM
Gparted? I don't think it's ready to guarantee non-destructive partitioning on NTFS yet. :) Just my humble opinion of course.

ChaoticNick
10-21-07, 08:58 PM
Ugh, now it just stops at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" in the BIOS, when I try booting from the hard drive, but I'm not sure what I did to make it do that. I'm just gonna say **** it and format the thing. :)

grey_1
10-21-07, 09:06 PM
Ugh, now it just stops at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" in the BIOS, when I try booting from the hard drive, but I'm not sure what I did to make it do that. I'm just gonna say **** it and format the thing. :)
Lol, been there done that.

nekrosoft13
10-22-07, 02:17 PM
Ok, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Windows or Linux section, but here goes.

I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my drive that had XP on it already. I used the Guided option in the installer to shrink the partition and leave 20GB for Ubuntu. After I had Ubuntu installed and everything working fine in it, I tried booting XP, I see the XP splash screen, but I'm getting the 0x00000024 stop error, even with safe mode, last good config, etc.

I did some research and I think it has something to do with ntfs.sys, and to use the chkdsk option in the recovery console on the xp cd, but that didn't help. When I try accessing the partition from within ubuntu, it says it cannot mount the volume.

Tips/ideas(besides formatting)?

ok, i highlighted the cause of your problems

shrinking partitions is never a good idea. You basically corrupted the file system.

ChaoticNick
10-22-07, 05:00 PM
ok, i highlighted the cause of your problems

shrinking partitions is never a good idea. You basically corrupted the file system.

Well, it worked just fine before with no problems. But yes, I suppose that was the cause. No matter though, I formatted.:rolleyes:

Dragunov
10-22-07, 05:01 PM
Use windows XP cd to repair the installation?

ChaoticNick
10-22-07, 05:26 PM
No matter though, I formatted.:rolleyes:

Also, repair didn't work