PDA

View Full Version : Question for PS3 owners.

Namrok
10-22-07, 12:48 PM
Can any of you definitively tell me whether Sony fixed their stupid 720p issues? Do bluray and games both play fine in 720p? What about upscaled DVDs and PS2 games?

I ask, because I'm torn between two TVs I'd like to get. I can go for the Samsung HLT5087S which is a 1080p DLP, or a Samsung 50" plasma which is 720p. The DLP is good because its 1080p, and I like the image quality. Plus it's run on LEDs instead of a color wheel and high powered bulb. The downside is the viewing angle was really touchy when I saw it in the stores. The plasma looks great, but is 720p. I just want to know that if I do get a 720p set, that the PS3 properly handles 720p output now, were I to get one.

Bman212121
10-22-07, 01:20 PM
Can any of you definitively tell me whether Sony fixed their stupid 720p issues? Do bluray and games both play fine in 720p? What about upscaled DVDs and PS2 games?

I ask, because I'm torn between two TVs I'd like to get. I can go for the Samsung HLT5087S which is a 1080p DLP, or a Samsung 50" plasma which is 720p. The DLP is good because its 1080p, and I like the image quality. Plus it's run on LEDs instead of a color wheel and high powered bulb. The downside is the viewing angle was really touchy when I saw it in the stores. The plasma looks great, but is 720p. I just want to know that if I do get a 720p set, that the PS3 properly handles 720p output now, were I to get one.

Yes, any movie or game I've played will output at 720p. Same goes for DVD's and PS/PS2 games. I think it was firmware 1.7 or around there that addressed the blueray scaling issue. Everything else worked fine since it was implemented.

EDIT: It was in version 1.82

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/Updates/history.html#update182
Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected as the video output setting of the PS3™ system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded in 1080p or 1080i resolution can be played in 720p resolution.

Lyme
10-22-07, 01:28 PM
I'd suggest that if you have your tv on a lot, that you go with the DLP rather than the plasma. Also if you like playing a lot of sports games (like football), I'd go with the DLP as well.
True, you will likely get superior picture from the plasma, however, plasma will burn in if you display a consistant image for a very very long period of time (like the score bar on football games). Plus, if you have your tv on a lot, when a plasma screen dies you toss it in the trash, with a dlp you replace the bulb/led.

Namrok
10-22-07, 01:32 PM
I'd suggest that if you have your tv on a lot, that you go with the DLP rather than the plasma. Also if you like playing a lot of sports games (like football), I'd go with the DLP as well.
True, you will likely get superior picture from the plasma, however, plasma will burn in if you display a consistant image for a very very long period of time (like the score bar on football games). Plus, if you have your tv on a lot, when a plasma screen dies you toss it in the trash, with a dlp you replace the bulb/led.

The DLP I'm looking at has no bulb, and the LED is rated to last for a good long time. I'm also considering a slightly cheaper 720p LG Plasma, but you get what you pay for, and the professional reviews I've read mention a lot of noise showing up. So I really am torn between the 720p Samsung Plasma or the 1080p Samsung DLP. My main point of contention is the viewing angle on the DLP which is rather poor, even by DLP standards. Especially the vertical angle.

Marvel_us
10-22-07, 01:40 PM
720p is not a problem with PS3. 1080i is where things start to get messy with PS3 games though.

LurkerLito
10-22-07, 02:30 PM
What's wrong with 1080i on PS3 games? I run that and I haven't noticed anything.

Tygerwoody
10-22-07, 02:38 PM
What's wrong with 1080i on PS3 games? I run that and I haven't noticed anything.
seconded.

Tygerwoody
10-22-07, 02:40 PM
Some games were apparently incapable of being played in 1080i...I never ran into the issue personally, since I don't use 1080i.
Depends on the game. Some games I found looked better with 1080i. Some looked better on 720p.

Lyme
10-22-07, 03:39 PM
The DLP I'm looking at has no bulb, and the LED is rated to last for a good long time. I'm also considering a slightly cheaper 720p LG Plasma, but you get what you pay for, and the professional reviews I've read mention a lot of noise showing up. So I really am torn between the 720p Samsung Plasma or the 1080p Samsung DLP. My main point of contention is the viewing angle on the DLP which is rather poor, even by DLP standards. Especially the vertical angle.

My DLP only has a verticle issue if you almost looking right down at it, and with it in a entertainment unit I never do that.

As for noise, if your going from a SD display to a HD display, your going to see a lot more noise in your SD content (cable, satilite, etc). Otherwise plasma & LCD screens should have less noise than dlp. If that isn't the case with that plasma I'd be worried, it is likely poor input circutry on the device.

Marvel_us
10-22-07, 04:33 PM
The 1080i problem is only if your tv does NOT support 720p.

Not all PS3 games upscale to 1080i. So in cases like Resistance, the PS3 will down convert everything to 480p if your TV doesn't support 720p. I think all or most of the newer games now have scaling enabled but I personally can't confirm that.

Namrok
10-22-07, 04:43 PM
My DLP only has a verticle issue if you almost looking right down at it, and with it in a entertainment unit I never do that.

As for noise, if your going from a SD display to a HD display, your going to see a lot more noise in your SD content (cable, satilite, etc). Otherwise plasma & LCD screens should have less noise than dlp. If that isn't the case with that plasma I'd be worried, it is likely poor input circutry on the device.

Well, the viewing angle with the samsung DLP in particular is poor. Others were better, but others still used a color wheel and bulb, which I don't want. It's a trade off. As for that LG set, I read that it specifically had noise issues, not plasma in general. But I do have a soft spot for LG, so we'll see when I check it out in the store.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Samsung Plasma set.

Tygerwoody
10-22-07, 04:47 PM
I use a 57" CRT RPTV 1080i/720p. Games look great! TV looks great! HDTV looks great! Only downside is the weight.

Too bad they don't make them anymore. :(

Lyme
10-22-07, 07:34 PM
I would like a led bulb dlp. I currently have a 2004 toshiba 44" dlp and lemme tell you, with the replacement bulb priced at ~$600, I'm under the mind to buy a new one when this bulb and the replacement I have on hand go.

Plasma sets are not bad, I simply have a dislike for them because there is nothing you can fix when the color goes, and in my home the tv is on far far too much (the wife uses it as background noise). I could easily cut the life span of a plasma in half or by 2/3rds (most plasma screens base their lifespan on a tv alotment of less than 8hrs a day).

Note: DLP and LCD screens use the less than eight hours a day as well, however you can replace the bulb in both of those and extend the life. When the plasma goes, I kid you not, it is garbage can time. (I can explain why, if your interested).

Namrok
10-22-07, 08:22 PM
So far as Plasma life goes, I'm good about turning it off when I'm not using it. And I'm using it far less than 6 hours a day usually. So I'm not at all concerned about it becoming a 50" paperweight.

LurkerLito
10-23-07, 01:32 AM
Oh OK I remember that issue. I completely forgot about it. I haven't played Resistance for a long time now I am kind of surprised they didn't bother to patch it.

Peoples-Agent
10-23-07, 01:38 AM
When using HDMI for the PS3, I assume I can hook up an SPDIF cable to my decoder / surround setup aswell?

crainger
10-23-07, 02:05 AM
When using HDMI for the PS3, I assume I can hook up an SPDIF cable to my decoder / surround setup aswell?

Sure can. It is how my setup works. HDMI to TV, Optical to Z-5500s.

Depending on your TV, you may get audio sync issues.

Peoples-Agent
10-23-07, 02:46 PM
Sure can. It is how my setup works. HDMI to TV, Optical to Z-5500s.

Depending on your TV, you may get audio sync issues.

My DVD player hooks up via HDMI and SPDIF and it works a treat, so fingers crossed that should work too.

Now all I need are PS3 exclusives worth buying one for.

DiscipleDOC
10-23-07, 03:25 PM

I play madden '08 online at 720. It looks very nice.