PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher vs. HellGate:London

Tygerwoody
10-22-07, 03:22 PM
Need opinions on which to buy.

My favorite game of ALL time is Diablo 2. Number 1. Nothing can beat it. Probably never will.

Anyway, reason I state that is Hellgate: London was suppose to be alot like Diablo 2. However, I'm hearing reports that its not like Diablo 2 at all and has alot of problems. Can anyone verify this?

Also, anyone have any reports on how The Witcher is? Before this discussion turns into a comparison of Oblivion and how Oblivion wasn't really a "true RPG" and blah blah blah. Let me just state that I don't care. Oblivion was fun. I don't give a rats ass if it was a "true RPG" or not. It was a good game. Lets just leave it at that.

I much enjoy swinging a sword and killing stuff as opposed to reading a bunch of pointless lines of text to find out why Prince Joyhander doesn't want to be with Princess Lancelot because the evil orc nebula zulax cheiftain general ranger warlord has stolen pumpkins from a nearby farm and can you please retrieve them. While I like a good story. I don't care for stupid plots and I don't enjoy reading line after line of text that has nothing to deal with me or the story at all. I don't hate RPG's at all. I very much like games like Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Nights, but sometimes they did get a bit overboard with how in depth the story goes. Hopefully The Witcher is not like this as much, but if it is a very good game. I guess I can deal with it.

So... The Witcher Vs. HellGate: London... and GO. :)

(for the record. I know this is apples and oranges. I don't care again. Just discuss the strengths/weaknesses of each. I'm only buying one of these, I hope I choose the right one.)

Ninjaman09
10-22-07, 03:38 PM
Anyway, reason I state that is Hellgate: London was suppose to be alot like Diablo 2. However, I'm hearing reports that its not like Diablo 2 at all and has alot of problems. Can anyone verify this?
Since the NDA is up, yes!

Hellgate: London is a failure of epic proportions in its goal to be a "spiritual successor" to Diablo II (which I loved as well). Granted the main goal in Diablo II was to advance your character and load yourself up with great loot - this still exists in Hellgate. But the major failings come from more mundane aspects of the game - namely the combat system.

Gameplay in Hellgate could not be any more simplistic and/or boring. You literally run around and just hack everything up. I realize that Diablo II was exactly the same, but trust me - it just feels cheap. Where it was visceral and engaging in Diablo, it is weak and boring in Hellgate. Enemies simply run into you and die, the animations are terrible and actually run in a low framerate (30fps is my guess), which is glaringly obvious when your game is running at 60fps. There is very little "feel" to combat - it seems as if you are simply floating around shooting packets of air (or swinging twigs around) into pillows. It's very hard to even notice if you've taken damage, but the game is so easy that you hardly ever need to, and if your health does get low you can simply whack your "refill all my health" key and you're set. When I play this game it feels like I'm playing some tech demo, definitely not a AAA-rated title. Part of the draw of hack-n-slash games like Diablo was the fulfilling combat and sense of reward from advancing your character. Character advancement in Hellgate is practically meaningless because you never need to employ any tactics other than "shoot everything with your guns" or "hack everything with your swords". The skill trees are a joke with 90% of the skills being useless padding to get to the next tier and even major skills doing next to nothing useful.

The storyline is nonexistent. I realize this is a non-issue for most people but even Diablo had an interesting enough story for what it was. Hellgate has almost no characters worth mentioning and what little characters there are have their dignity stripped away by the absolutely silly voices they've been given. That's not to say there's voice acted dialogue, it's just that the NPCs all have "selection voices" when you click on them. Some of it was mildly amusing but it gets old quick.

The game is horribly riddled with bugs. I cannot begin to count them. One of them was so bad it prevented me from playing past about level 15 or so on the beta servers because it reset your experience and quest progress. This is not to mention the vast amounts of minor bugs that make all but the simplest of tasks a nightmare. How this game is being released next week evades me.

I could go on and on. Suffice it to say I'm very opinionated on the subject and strongly recommend avoiding this game.
Also, anyone have any reports on how The Witcher is? Before this discussion turns into a comparison of Oblivion and how Oblivion wasn't really a "true RPG" and blah blah blah. Let me just state that I don't care. Oblivion was fun. I don't give a rats ass if it was a "true RPG" or not.

(for the record. I know this is apples and oranges. I don't care again. Just discuss the strengths/weaknesses of each. I'm only buying one of these, I hope I choose the right one.)
As for the rest, ditto, but frankly I've got enough faith from what I've read ahead of time that it'll at least be worth getting. :)

Tygerwoody
10-22-07, 03:45 PM
Since the NDA is up, yes!

Hellgate: London is a failure of epic proportions in its goal to be a "spiritual successor" to Diablo II (which I loved as well). Granted the main goal in Diablo II was to advance your character and load yourself up with great loot - this still exists in Hellgate. But the major failings come from more mundane aspects of the game - namely the combat system.

Gameplay in Hellgate could not be any more simplistic and/or boring. You literally run around and just hack everything up. I realize that Diablo II was exactly the same, but trust me - it just feels cheap. Where it was visceral and engaging in Diablo, it is weak and boring in Hellgate. Enemies simply run into you and die, the animations are terrible and actually run in a low framerate (30fps is my guess), which is glaringly obvious when your game is running at 60fps. There is very little "feel" to combat - it seems as if you are simply floating around shooting packets of air (or swinging twigs around) into pillows. It's very hard to even notice if you've taken damage, but the game is so easy that you hardly ever need to, and if your health does get low you can simply whack your "refill all my health" key and you're set. When I play this game it feels like I'm playing some tech demo, definitely not a AAA-rated title. Part of the draw of hack-n-slash games like Diablo was the fulfilling combat and sense of reward from advancing your character. Character advancement in Hellgate is practically meaningless because you never need to employ any tactics other than "shoot everything with your guns" or "hack everything with your swords". The skill trees are a joke with 90% of the skills being useless padding to get to the next tier and even major skills doing next to nothing useful.

The storyline is nonexistent. I realize this is a non-issue for most people but even Diablo had an interesting enough story for what it was. Hellgate has almost no characters worth mentioning and what little characters there are have their dignity stripped away by the absolutely silly voices they've been given. That's not to say there's voice acted dialogue, it's just that the NPCs all have "selection voices" when you click on them. Some of it was mildly amusing but it gets old quick.

The game is horribly riddled with bugs. I cannot begin to count them. One of them was so bad it prevented me from playing past about level 15 or so on the beta servers because it reset your experience and quest progress. This is not to mention the vast amounts of minor bugs that make all but the simplest of tasks a nightmare. How this game is being released next week evades me.

I could go on and on. Suffice it to say I'm very opinionated on the subject and strongly recommend avoiding this game.

As for the rest, ditto, but frankly I've got enough faith from what I've read ahead of time that it'll at least be worth getting. :)
Good response :thumbsup:

breathemetal
10-22-07, 04:47 PM
Witcher ftw
Hellgate ftmfl

Dragunov
10-22-07, 04:56 PM
Witcher for me :)

Only saw pics of it, but it definately looks better than Hellgate

I don't know why they make Hellgate looking so old, begin '90

Sectus
10-22-07, 05:21 PM
I've tried the Hellgate beta as well, and I can confirm what the Ninja Man said. It's a really really big disappointment. (you can read my full thoughts about the game here: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335191091&postcount=172 )

I don't know much about The Witcher, but it has boobies so that's gotta count for something :p

Ninjaman09
10-22-07, 07:20 PM
And there's some stupid things which is specific to this game:
-Don't ever play as a marksman. Playing as a marksman is basically like playing the worst FPS in existance.
-All the voice dialog tries so hard to be funny, but it fails completely and ends up destroying the mood of the game.
-The developers did a good job of making most of the classes feel very different from eachother, but they all are so darn specific they become repetitive REALLY fast. It would have been a drastic improvement if they had removed classes from the game, and gave each player full access to all the skill trees. It would have added a much needed variety if I could create a melee character who could place down rocket turrets attacking specific foes, while occasionally summoning a few demons of my own and casting a few firestorms.
-The graphics engine itself isn't bad. But the graphics become tiresome because of the dull environments. Ruined urban environments where you basically only see the colour grey would have been okay for one level. Not for an entire game.
-Forcing people to pay monthly to access all features is the dumbest thing ever. There's no way in heck it's worth it.
-Some of the attack animations looks downright stupid and clumsy. I wouldn't be surprised if they had hired the Star Wars Kid to do the motion capture.
Very true, well said. Funny thing is, the Marksman class is probably the easiest way to play the game too (and I use the term in a relative sense, the game is easy no matter what). Other than Guardians, that is.

I don't know much about The Witcher, but it has boobies so that's gotta count for something :p
Yep. Only one week left, I can't wait and I just now got excited about this game. :D

stefan9
10-23-07, 02:39 AM
The best way to try and help you is to explain what type of rpg the Witcher is. It's not a hack and slash rpg.

The Witcher is a crpg its the same kind of game as Baldur's gate as opposed to Diablo's style. It does have combat and a new combat system style but it focus on the story allot more than diablo ever did.

Also in the Witcher to get certain quests you first must know that type of monster exist by reading about it. If you don't like reading a lot of text and an in depth story I don't think you will enjoy the Witcher.

Personally I prefer the Baldur's gate type of rpg so I will go for the Witcher.

Badboy_12345
10-23-07, 03:50 AM
is that really a hard decision?

its like choosing between a turd (hellgate) and a pot of gold (Witcher) :lol:

wysiwyg
10-23-07, 04:15 AM
im sure witcher will be a better surprise than hellgate. i havent tried witcher yet but from the hellgate demo it was a criminal dissapointment.

not at all what we were promised or expected from the SS

so = witcher= 1

hellgate = -0

Vasot02
10-23-07, 08:52 AM
The Witcher > Hellgate London (Based on the Demo)

Destroy
10-23-07, 12:27 PM
Gotta wait for the Witcher sex/nude hack from the EU version and put it in the NA version. That way one gets the full game content as it was meant to be.

stefan9
10-23-07, 01:29 PM
Gotta wait for the Witcher sex/nude hack from the EU version and put it in the NA version. That way one gets the full game content as it was meant to be.

Or you could just import the UK version or get it from gogamer.

DRen72
10-23-07, 01:31 PM
Or you could just import the UK version or get it from gogamer.I did :cool:

Badboy_12345
10-24-07, 08:39 AM
is that really a hard decision?

its like choosing between a turd (hellgate) and a pot of gold (Witcher) :lol:

I take back my post after trying the beta... :p

GET HELLGATE!! :cool:
if you liked diablo 2 you will love hellgate

Mr. Hunt
10-24-07, 09:24 AM
Gonna be importing tomorrow... can't freaking wait to play this game.

NaitoSan
10-24-07, 10:43 AM
hellgate for me. it plays/reminds ALOT like diablo 2 and i'm hardcore diablo 2 in old times :) (try beta, DON'T download the demo!)