PDA

View Full Version : Game Server Hosting

Bman212121
10-22-07, 05:11 PM
I'm looking into the possibility of renting a game server for UT3. So far my two choices that I'm looking at are:

gameservers.com and artofwarcentral.com

I'm leaning towards gameservers.com but I would like to know what places others use for their GSP. If anyone has a server at either of these places, it would be nice to know what your experience has been.

Also, my preferred server location is Chicago, Illinois since it would give the best ping times for the majority of people I know. Any suggestions are appreciated.

rudedog
10-22-07, 06:33 PM
first let me say gameservers.com advertises on my site. Artofwar use to be an advertiser as well but is not currently.

1st, I would test the pings to each GSP you're thinking about. (they should have a test page with IP addresses. you can always use tracert to find out where the db is. Tracert is also another great way of finding the best path to the GSP of your choice.
2nd, consider price
3rd, see if you can find a clan, who is currently a customer of each GSP you're considering. Send the admin an email or PM asking them how they like the service. This is your best bet in finding a good GSP.

I know I did not give you any GSP names, but I hope this helps in finding a good GSP for your game server.

also consider a dedicated server if you are going to spend more then 150 per month. You can find good ones cheap at no GSP centers like serverbeach (which is where I run my box for my site)

Sycario
10-22-07, 06:45 PM
I hated dealing with awoc. I'm probably going to get a server at KillerPings (http://www.killerpings.com/) when ut3 comes out.

Bman212121
10-22-07, 08:41 PM
first let me say gameservers.com advertises on my site. Artofwar use to be an advertiser as well but is not currently.

1st, I would test the pings to each GSP you're thinking about. (they should have a test page with IP addresses. you can always use tracert to find out where the db is. Tracert is also another great way of finding the best path to the GSP of your choice.
2nd, consider price
3rd, see if you can find a clan, who is currently a customer of each GSP you're considering. Send the admin an email or PM asking them how they like the service. This is your best bet in finding a good GSP.

I know I did not give you any GSP names, but I hope this helps in finding a good GSP for your game server.

also consider a dedicated server if you are going to spend more then 150 per month. You can find good ones cheap at no GSP centers like serverbeach (which is where I run my box for my site)

Those are all good ideas, thanks for the input. :thumbsup: I know that GS has a great ping for me, so that was definiely one of the selling points.

@CaNiBuS: What was the problem with awoc? Did they take too long to answer your support tickets? Any problems with uptime?

Bman212121
10-22-07, 09:42 PM
I just did a 2 minute long ping test between AWOC, GS, and Killerpings. GS had the best overall ping and the most stable as well. Killerpings was very close to the same as GS. AWOC had pings as low as the other two, but it also had much bigger spikes. (over 10ms higher) All 3 tests were run at the same time so I could monitor if the spikes were on my end. (Which they aren't)

I'll try again tommorrow, but it sounds like AWOC might not be the best choice.

Rayman1968
10-22-07, 11:50 PM
GameServers has really gone downhill. I don't know if new people took over when they changed from ClanServers to GameServers or what. And a lot of their servers, regardless of city, have this strange sporadic lagging/freezing issue that they can't figure out. Over the span of about a year and a half I had probably 6 servers with GameServers (CS, CS:S and DoD:S). All but two had the lag and freezing issue. Their support isn't too hot either.

I stopped using them over a year ago and started using Branzone.com. Their servers run smoother and support tickets are answered in minutes if there's an issue. My only complaint about Branzone is that their staff should probably be more active in their forums answering questions.

These are the only two game server providers I've used, so I can't comment on the others mentioned here. But I would suggest staying away from GameServers, and have no problem recommending Branzone.

Bman212121
10-23-07, 12:20 PM
GameServers has really gone downhill. I don't know if new people took over when they changed from ClanServers to GameServers or what. And a lot of their servers, regardless of city, have this strange sporadic lagging/freezing issue that they can't figure out. Over the span of about a year and a half I had probably 6 servers with GameServers (CS, CS:S and DoD:S). All but two had the lag and freezing issue. Their support isn't too hot either.

I stopped using them over a year ago and started using Branzone.com. Their servers run smoother and support tickets are answered in minutes if there's an issue. My only complaint about Branzone is that their staff should probably be more active in their forums answering questions.

These are the only two game server providers I've used, so I can't comment on the others mentioned here. But I would suggest staying away from GameServers, and have no problem recommending Branzone.

Hmm, thanks for the input. I checked out branzone.com, I would probably look harder at them for CS but definitely not Unreal since 2k4 costs almost 3x as much per slot as CS, and almost 3x times as much as GS or killerpings.

Rayman1968
10-23-07, 01:27 PM
I didn't even look at the prices of UT2K4 at Branzone, but I agree with you, they're way too high. A 10 player public server is $60/month. That's $6 per slot! WTF are they thinking?