PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Vest

beardstroke
10-22-07, 04:19 PM
A US surgeon working on a "tele-health" breakthrough has devised a way for video game warriors to feel shots, stabs, slams, and hits dealt to their on-screen characters.

The "3rd Space" vest will make its US debut in November at a price of 189 dollars. It will be launched with the first-person shooter game "Call of Duty" and a custom-made title.

"It was originally designed as a medical device," Ombrellaro told AFP while letting gamers try the vest at the E for All video game exposition in Los Angeles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071019/tc_afp/lifestyleusithealthgame;_ylt=AoKvkvAKbWtqOQStqFHXZ lQjtBAF

kinda neat, but something more for VR goggles i think.

breathemetal
10-22-07, 04:34 PM
So maybe its coming out with CoD4?

rudedog
10-22-07, 05:00 PM
at first I thought console only but how would they get that type of feedback unless all it is, is a rumble pack sown into a vest.

Then I'm thinking is this even a real story? yahoo, remember them the guys who screwed up the release of the demo LOL :captnkill:

rudedog
10-22-07, 05:21 PM
Updated info:

Platform:
PC

A picture:
http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/d/3657-2/SpaceVestGI.jpg

Info:
Looks like this will support CoD2 not 4
The gaming peripheral will consist of eight zones, all of which will be able to direct appropriate force to accurately simulate a plethora of sensations, including bullet fire, explosions, punches and even finger taps. The device will be released in November, retailing at $189 and will come bundled with two games, 3rd Space Incursion and a special edition of Call of Duty II. The TN Game online shop is currently taking pre-orders at $169.99 saving 20 bills on the final price post release. Patches will be made available for Quake3/4 and Doom 3 compatibility and an SDK kit will be released for developers.

Link to online shop:
TNGames storefront to order online : click here (http://www.tngames.com/shop/)

SOAD
10-22-07, 05:52 PM
****! im getting this.

do they do europe?

SOAD
10-22-07, 05:58 PM
damn they dont :(

CaptNKILL
10-22-07, 06:51 PM
I keep saying someone just needs to make a general force feedback API so we can have stuff like this that isn't going to be obsolete in a 3 weeks when developers decide it isn't worth implementing.

This is a cool idea, but I'd be surprised if we saw it used in all of the games listed, let alone any other high profile titles.

I'd invest in something like this if there was a standard, but it seems like everyone has their own take on force feedback and virtual reality and none of them take off.

By now we should be using USB devices (maybe wireless bluetooth) to connect to our PCs for any kind of force feedback we want. Whether its one of those chair rumbling things, a vest, an arm band, shoes, whatever...

Why hasn't anyone done this yet? :p

LycosV
10-22-07, 10:29 PM
...to accurately simulate a plethora of sensations, including bullet fire, explosions, punches and even finger taps.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want accurate simulation of getting shot. :)

Phyre
10-22-07, 10:50 PM
I'd give this thing 1 week before someone took it apart and made a virtual sex toy out of it.

$n][pErMan
10-22-07, 11:05 PM
Ya.. I was thinking the same thing. WHo was playing BF2 or whatever and thought "Man, would this be cool or what if I felt the bullet!"? .. lol.

Saintster
10-22-07, 11:22 PM
stupid idea

-=DVS=-
10-23-07, 12:44 AM
They forgot the helmet , how em i gonna feel when sniper hits me :headexplode:

bugmeplz
10-23-07, 12:50 AM
As long as we are on the topic of strange gaming peripherals, anyone remember those lights that would dynamically change color depending on what was currently on your screen? So, if you were playing far cry with a lot of blue water, the lights would be shining a light blue on the wall behind your monitor? Kind of a cool idea, but it was expensive as I recall.

LycosV
10-23-07, 12:57 AM
As long as we are on the topic of strange gaming peripherals, anyone remember those lights that would dynamically change color depending on what was currently on your screen? So, if you were playing far cry with a lot of blue water, the lights would be shining a light blue on the wall behind your monitor? Kind of a cool idea, but it was expensive as I recall.

That was some sort of TV they advertised like crazy on TV for awhile.

crainger
10-23-07, 12:58 AM

My Philips TV has that. Basically it lights up the wall behind it with the colours on screen. There is also a few ASUS LCDs that do the same. It is pretty cool, but you recall right, it puts a bit of a premium on price. :( I'd like to see it on more PC monitors though, great source of ambient light for late night gaming. :)

SOAD
10-23-07, 03:19 AM
could you imagine being hit with a tank shell in the game :O or getting a 12 gauge straight to the chest :D

Would kick ass.

If they released a good source for it, im sure it wouldnt be to hard to incorporate into games.

conroejoe
10-23-07, 09:10 AM

Thats what I was thinking too. No thanks.

conroejoe
10-23-07, 09:12 AM

Or the thing with smells.

SOAD
10-23-07, 10:24 AM
Or the thing with smells.

i smell tuna :o

:D

Mr_LoL
10-23-07, 11:56 AM
I would rather get new parts for the pc than invest in this rubbish.

LycosV
10-23-07, 01:19 PM
Person A: What happened to your chest?
Person B: Oh it's an old video game injury, I got shot.