PDA

View Full Version : 360 + Onkyo receiver issue

Wavern
10-23-07, 02:12 AM
I'm looking for some advice.

I have 4 devices I'd like to hookup to my Onkyo TX-SR605.

PS2 via Component
PS3 via HDMI
360 via HDMI
Cable via Component with Coaxial audio

Now all of this works except for the 360.

360 -hdmi--> receiver -hdmi--> TV shows no signal.
360 -hdmi--> TV works fine

PS3 -hdmi--> receiver -hdmi--> TV works fine

I've gone as far as taking the hdmi cable out of the ps3 while it was working and showing picture / playing audio and plugging it into the 360 and boom.. doesn't work.

The 360 is a Premium system built in 2007 with the BenQ drive.

Microsoft support has twice failed to do anything but search their webpage for fixes that apparently didn't exist. They suggested I send in the console but why would the console be the problem if it works directly to the TV?

Onkyo tech support's response "Huh, that's strange...".

So basically I'm going to be stuck having multiple inputs on my TV being used when I really wanted to simplify it all. I want to either use HDMI or VGA so I can get upscaling DVD playback.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ENU291
10-23-07, 08:26 AM
I have that exact same receiver but I don't have a 360 with HDMI only VGA/Component. There is an on screen HDMI setup menu you could play around with to see if it improves your situation. I believe you have to hit the receiver button followed by the setup button. HDMI should be the 5th option on the screen.

Lyme
10-23-07, 12:09 PM
Wavern, I feel for you, this is one of the major drawbacks of HDMI. Simply enough, it is unlikely that you will be able to have your receiver act as the middle man. The problem that, I think, your having is where during the display of data the source and the destination have to ensure they have a secure connection. To ensure this the HDMI chips talk to each other a couple times a second, and should one not respond fast enough, it will fail.

Blindly stabbing into the dark, you may want to try using shorter HDMI cables, and make sure they are not neatly coiled up. However, I don't think that will really work. You'll probably have to wait for a update to the 360 system.

Starbuck
10-25-07, 12:08 PM
You should do some research on www.avsforum.com. They have a section dedicated to Receivers and I'd bet you could find your answer there in a specific thread on your receiver. Good luck.

Libertysyclone
10-25-07, 12:11 PM
I have the same issue with my Component connection, I had to mess with it for about 3 hours before it automagically worked.