PDA

View Full Version : The new 360 core system (Arcade) now $279

Lyme
10-23-07, 11:01 AM
We've all known about it for a few weeks now, MS is phasing the old core system out and replacing it with the Arcade.
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2916606&cp=2567324.2583089.2583089&parentPage=family (I could only find a Canadian store ad, and yes, we are still getting ripped off by $20.00) In the USA it is selling for $279.00

Changes between the Core and the Arcade:
The Arcade uses the die shrunk cpu and better cooling.
The Arcade ships with a wireless, rather than a wired (core) controller.
The Arcade comes with a 256meg memory card (core came with none).
The Arcade comes with five full xbox live arcade titles.
The Arcade is based on the new motherboard and has a HDMI port (but only comes with composite AV like the core).

It is really nice that before the Christmas holiday that MS was able to drop the price again and add some value added bits to the package. However:

-Does MS have the reliablity issue under control?
-Is the 256meg card big enough for patches for online games?
-Will this enable the 360 to better compete with the Wii on price?

Saintster
10-23-07, 11:41 AM
This might swing me back to buying a 360 again.

Mr_LoL
10-23-07, 12:01 PM
I am thinking of adding a 360 to my collection before Christmas. I need a hard drive for demos though.

sillyeagle
10-23-07, 11:48 PM
I want to buy a 360 for my bro, but I am wondering if the 256MB will be enough for him. I don't use a 360 so I don't know what kind of space save games take up.

He will not be doing online gaming, and he will not even be connecting to the inet with it, so I guess that means the only thing the 256MB will be used for it saved games?

I guess the main question is, will 256MB be enough for his saved games? I'm sure he won't be able to afford more than 5 games in the beggining, so he should be ok right?

Thanks

Lyme
10-24-07, 12:26 AM
15meg for bioshock
3meg for overlord
1meg for gears
<50kb for GH2

The big item is game patches, but I don't think those are all too big.

sillyeagle
10-24-07, 12:34 AM
Wow, not what I was expecting. I know some of my PC save game folders are like 500MB, but I suppose consoles don't let you keep 500 saved games. lol

Lyme
10-24-07, 12:59 AM
Wow, not what I was expecting. I know some of my PC save game folders are like 500MB, but I suppose consoles don't let you keep 500 saved games. lol

Some do, it is really based upon space. The memory card included in the arcade pack would let someone save quite a few saves.

LycosV
10-24-07, 01:21 AM
Including the memory card makes the core system a lot more buyable in my opinion. I think if you're going to only play offline the 256mb memory would be more than enough.

On the negative though, what's up with the "Arcade" marketing. With only 256mb I would think using X-Box Live Arcade would be the worst use of the memory. I would've stuck with Core or maybe gone with Basic and included some sort of real game.

Lyme
10-24-07, 01:52 AM
I believe that MS has put together the new Arcade pack to entice buyers from the casual console segment. This set of buyers, typically does not play online, expects a console to be cheap (like the Wii), and are happy with pretty simple games (such as the xbla ones included). In addition MS has decided to save money by using one console base model for all the sku's (the 65nm cpu and has a hdmi port), and to do away with the corded controllers, in both cases production in bulk saves costs.
Should this unit convince new consumers that the console is reliable, and is casual gamer friendly, then the price should bring in a large number of buyers this holiday season. This is going to be a exciting Christmas as we will get to see what consumers choose for their gaming platforms.

zoomy942
10-24-07, 08:51 AM
hmm.. i might have to thijnk about buying this

msxyz
10-24-07, 11:08 AM
Patches and savegames are quite small. I used a core for 4 months equipped with a 64MB card and I never ran out of space despite playing 2-3 games at a time.

Of course, once you've an hard disk you'll start downloading videos and demos like crazy and the puny 20GB (13Gb available) hard drive will soon start to look too small ;)

Ruined
10-24-07, 11:51 AM
I am going to pick this up as an XMAS gift this season!

fizzelopeguss
10-24-07, 11:52 AM
I don't understand this package, you need a hard drive for xbox live arcade.

Zelda_fan
10-24-07, 11:54 AM
wow this is a killer price

Lyme
10-24-07, 02:04 PM

This is aimed at the "casual" market, and most of them don't buy things online.

evilchris
10-24-07, 03:21 PM

No you do not. You need a HDD or a memory card.

Mr_LoL
10-24-07, 03:44 PM
The pro deal is better. 270 gets you a console with a hard drive, PGR4 and Halo 3.

Lyme
10-24-07, 05:37 PM
The pro deal is better. 270 gets you a console with a hard drive, PGR4 and Halo 3.

While I agree that the pro is a better deal, some people cannot justify a purchase of that cost all at once and would rather do it peacemeal, even though it will cost them more in the end.

Think of it as buying a car in cash all at once vs making payments. Hmm.. Sony could possibly get more people to buy the PS3 if they offered payment options.

note: I understand that MS offers loans to buy 360's in India.