PDA

View Full Version : BioWare's Upcoming MMO Based on KOTOR?

nekrosoft13
10-23-07, 03:11 PM
A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studioís upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003. The game garnered critical acclaim and spawned a less-popular sequel, released by Obsidian two years later.

The game is being developed by the companyís Austin studio, formed in 2006 and headed by BioWare Creative Director James Ohlen, whose past credits include the first KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur Gateís I and II.

This is not the first Star Wars-related MMORPG: Star Wars Galaxies debuted in the summer of 2003, followed by several expansions. It was generally well-received by fans and critics, but subscriber numbers plunged and never recovered after a controversial gameplay update in 2005. Itís estimated that the game now has fewer than 100,000 subscribers and less than 20,000 active players.

Itís currently unknown whether or not EA, which acquired BioWare last week, will act as publisher for this title, or if the studio had a previous arrangement with another publisher.

Expect the game sometime in 2009.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

Brent101
10-23-07, 04:23 PM
Bioware did a great job with KOTOR and the Star Wars universe is always exciting, but for some reason, I am not that thrilled with their mmo being being part of the Star Wars universe...IF this rumor is correct. Im not sure why, I just figured it was going to be something entirely new.

I've never played an MMO but I always figured when Bioware made one, Id cave and get it. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be fantastic....although I wish we'd hear some details on Dragon Age instead!

fizix
10-23-07, 04:33 PM
Wow, I am very excited about this. Hope the rumors are true.

Amuro
10-23-07, 09:01 PM
I heard this rumor over a year ago. Hope it's true though.

CaptNKILL
10-23-07, 10:17 PM
Yawn.

KOTOR = good

MMO = bad

LycosV
10-24-07, 01:16 AM
Seems kinda suspect to me. I know that Galaxies isn't doing great, but do they really think that the market needs (or can support) two Star Wars MMORPGs?

Mr. Hunt
10-24-07, 01:19 AM
Now I can play a horrible RPG with others? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

CaptNKILL
10-24-07, 08:00 AM
They need to just drop the MMO idea and do another KOTOR, or a game that takes place at another point in the Star Wars timeline, I don't care. They had the formula down PERFECTLY with the first one.

Why they aren't milking this license for all its worth, I have no idea. Weren't KOTOR and KOTOR 2 both extremely popular? I knew a ton of people that played them on either Xbox or PC.

EDIT: BTW, the KOTOR 2 restoration project is FINALLY nearing completion. On the 22nd they reached their .9b1 beta stage:
http://www.team-gizka.org/forums.html

Not much left to fix I guess. I can't wait... I've been holding off on KOTOR 2 because of this. :)

Dragunov
10-24-07, 08:20 AM
I have the first one here, but didn't play it alot, I really didn't like the gameplay...

if they release it with a more FPS way of action, I may buy it...

That's why I never bought KOTOR2 either, just give me those Jedi Knight games, way better

CaptNKILL
10-24-07, 08:30 AM
I have the first one here, but didn't play it alot, I really didn't like the gameplay...

if they release it with a more FPS way of action, I may buy it...

That's why I never bought KOTOR2 either, just give me those Jedi Knight games, way better
Well, it is an RPG. Its not a shooter.

It was extremely good at what it was though.

KOTOR 2 seems to be great too but the bugs and missing content killed it for me so I stopped playing (twice) and just decided to wait for the restoration project.

Amuro
11-09-07, 10:04 PM
Press release from Lucas Arts:
http://www.lucasarts.com/company/release/news20071030.html

LucasArts and BioWare Corp. to Create Ground-Breaking Interactive Entertainment Product

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA -- October 30, 2007 -- LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

"LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare," said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. "Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment."

"BioWare's mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans." said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., "The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market."

Interactive Entertainment Product? I bet it's a new Star Wars MMO, may or may not have anything to do with KOTOR, but Star Wars nonetheless. They can't say it out now because SOE's contract isn't up yet until 2009, and they also want to keep people in suspense.