PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! evilghost someone smart!

gulizard
10-23-07, 05:10 PM
I have no clue what I've done to this pc but I got this error now even when I tried to format it with an XP disc. Tells me ntfs.sys is corrupt. I formated after getting the vista update bug, that I posted over in the Vista section. Things seemed to be fine except for that, but when I reinstalled it I got a BSOD half way through the setup process, so I installed it again and actually got into windows. I ran the updater FIRST, to avoid what happened last time. After I did that I went to install my update required for 4GB of RAM, and got a Memory_Management BSOD. It took me a few of those errors, and I actually had to take my CPU down to stock as well as the RAM timings. I managed to get into Vista long enough to attempt to install the 64 bit drivers for my motherboard, right as it hit mediashield it did the same thing, with the same error. I attempted to get back into Vista - and was prompted with a continously loading bar, in which vista never loads. I tried safe mode, and everything I can think of. So I tried using the Vista disc to format it, and reinstall once AGAIN. It does the same except after the loading bar goes away it sits at a black screen. So I tried the XP disc, and thats when the BSOD came up when I attempted to setup XP popped up, telling me that ntfs.sys is corrupt. It tells me to do a CHKDISK... It'd be nice if I could actually get into freaking windows... Can someone please tell me what I've got to do to get this fixed?

Edited: Confirmed the RAM is bad, but this doesn't fix the problem I have... What can I do to fix my hard drive?

Another Update, attempted to do the first thing on google, which was typing something in the console, can't even get to the console get the screen.

gulizard
10-23-07, 05:51 PM
please anyone?

gulizard
10-23-07, 06:04 PM
Sorry for all the post but I am very desperate to get my problem fixed... I just would like to add I've went as far as remove the hd from that pc, and attempt to format it through windows on another machine, without avail. Whatever has messed the thing up has got it good, and it was all that damn faulty RAM.. I've used Kingston, Corsair, and Samsung with no problems. I have had the 2GB of OCZ for awhile which got no errors, and out of the blue I get bad RAM, that causes a harddrive corruption.

evilghost
10-23-07, 06:50 PM
Sorry for all the post but I am very desperate to get my problem fixed... I just would like to add I've went as far as remove the hd from that pc, and attempt to format it through windows on another machine, without avail. Whatever has messed the thing up has got it good, and it was all that damn faulty RAM.. I've used Kingston, Corsair, and Samsung with no problems. I have had the 2GB of OCZ for awhile which got no errors, and out of the blue I get bad RAM, that causes a harddrive corruption.

Sorry for my late reply but I was going to suggest the RAM being bad. Without question bad RAM will cause data corruption on the local drive. Hope it's fixed now. Try using Disk Management on an XP system and destroy the partition, recreate a new NTFS partition, and then format it non-quick. Then try a fresh install of Vista.

Zelda_fan
10-23-07, 07:36 PM
evilghost, it took 1hr 40min to respond. WTF is wrong with you?

evilghost
10-23-07, 08:08 PM
I know, out of character I guess. I need to setup some type of RSS feed with SMS alerting :)

Q
10-23-07, 08:25 PM
evilghost, it took 1hr 40min to respond. WTF is wrong with you?

I love you, Frisky.

gulizard
10-24-07, 05:07 AM
Sorry for my late reply but I was going to suggest the RAM being bad. Without question bad RAM will cause data corruption on the local drive. Hope it's fixed now. Try using Disk Management on an XP system and destroy the partition, recreate a new NTFS partition, and then format it non-quick. Then try a fresh install of Vista.

Shipping the RAM back to newegg ASAP. Memtest confirmed it, it failed every test. My current RAM past every test.

I am very upset as I still haven't fixed this problem. I went to bed as I had been up all day messing with that thing. I've got the PC tore apart right now, and am trying what you suggested, which means I've got to do the unthinkable and install XP on my Server, since apparently my girl friends pc's sataports are bad. It didn't even make an attempt to detect it here.

I am sorry I made so many replies but I was about to go mad, and throw my PC into the yard.

gulizard
10-24-07, 05:36 AM
Again sorry for the Double post, but ghost your idea failed. It BSOD's even if I try it on another system with working SATA ports. Windows logo came up it was loading XP, and then BOOM blue screen with the same error. It does if I go into through the XP disc, and Vista's disc won't even let me get to that point. It tells me its shut down to prevent damage, and then gives me the error. I am out of ideas. I found something that I could possibly do with Knoppix - but I the torrent for it oh so slow... I'll be all day getting it. In the mean time while it downloads let me know if you guys got any other ideas - this has never happened to me. I mean most things a simple google search fixes, but this takes the cake. OCZ has made me so mad I mean it isnt really there fault the RAM was bad but at the same time its causing me a nightmare.

lightman
10-24-07, 07:40 AM
Knoppix could be your best bet now. Once you have downloaded it, boot with it, then use fdisk to wipe the partition table, write the empty one to the disk, then use fdisk again to repartition the drive, and then mkfs.vfat to format the partitions (you can always either reformat them later in XP, or convert them to NTFS in XP).

Good luck.

gulizard
10-24-07, 07:48 AM
writing zeros to the whole drive with WD tools.. hope this fixes it.

DiscipleDOC
10-24-07, 08:25 AM
Do you have another hd that you can put in that same machine to see if the hd is the problem? Do you have any other RAM that you can do the same with to narrow down the problem?

gulizard
10-24-07, 08:32 AM
Do you have another hd that you can put in that same machine to see if the hd is the problem? Do you have any other RAM that you can do the same with to narrow down the problem?

Thanks doc for your reply, infact thank all you guys for your replies. I fixed it, what I ended up doing was downloading the harddrive software from WD, I believe its like safeguard or something. I downloaded it, and booted into that, and erased the entire drive. It seems to have fixed the problem.

The RAM I got in it now isn't bad it was the extra 2GB which are being sent back. I've already been approved for RMA via newegg. So for now I will have to do with 2GB till they ship me some new hopefully non defective RAM. I got to ship it to CA so I figure it'll be a few days before it gets there. I know the first thing I will do is unplug both hard drives entirely and then boot into memtest, so they can't be corrupted.

DiscipleDOC
10-24-07, 08:36 AM
Thanks doc for your reply, infact thank all you guys for your replies. I fixed it, what I ended up doing was downloading the harddrive software from WD, I believe its like safeguard or something. I downloaded it, and booted into that, and erased the entire drive. It seems to have fixed the problem.

The RAM I got in it now isn't bad it was the extra 2GB which are being sent back. I've already been approved for RMA via newegg. So for now I will have to do with 2GB till they ship me some new hopefully non defective RAM. I got to ship it to CA so I figure it'll be a few days before it gets there. I know the first thing I will do is unplug both hard drives entirely and then boot into memtest, so they can't be corrupted.
Cool...glad you could work that out. ;)

evilghost
10-24-07, 08:48 AM
Awesome, yeah low-level was a good idea, good call gulizard.

gulizard
10-24-07, 08:51 AM
Man I tell you for 7 years I've been around computers, ever since I moved out of Detroit. At first I only used it to play games, didn't know much... but in the 7+ years that I've used computers, never have I had that problem.

I should be able to run my RAM at 2.1 Voltage which is what it shows it can run at, anywhere from 1.9-2.1 which is what I run the 2GB I've been using at, but I should be able to run that at 2.1 Voltage with 4-4-4-15 right? 4GB wouldn't imply that the timing have to be uped does it? I know the 4GB kits I've seen from OCZ are at like 5-5-5-15, and what not. Though the RAM had to of been DOA when I got it, because the instant I tried anything outside of Vista 32 bit it crashed... I guess it just hadn't been using the 4GB in Vista 32 bit and when I upgraded to 64 bit the problems started.

Bearclaw
10-24-07, 10:06 AM
I know, out of character I guess. I need to setup some type of RSS feed with SMS alerting :)
LOL.

"I must go, someone is in need on Nvnews! To the batmobile!"