PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust game reviews from big name media outlets?

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
10-24-07, 09:54 AM
Could be print or online but how much do you trust these types of game reviews, be it console or PC?

When I say print or online I'm talking about: PC Gamer, Game Informer, IGN, Gamesply, to name a few as an example.

- Do you feel that advertisement and special site only releases, including betas effect the outcome of these reviews?
- Do these reviews even touch on what you're (hardcore game) looking for in a game?
- Overall how to you feel about reviews from the big guys?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies.

Kain
10-24-07, 09:58 AM
Dunno, but I only read www.gamespot.com.

Sectus
10-24-07, 10:07 AM
Quite simply, I don't trust any! I get the impression they're all biased towards hype and popularity, and they don't dare to give a popular game a bad score unless it's an absolute disaster.

Another problem is the messed up scoring curve. It seems 8-10 are reserved for good games, 7 is an average game and 1-6 is crap.

nemecb
10-24-07, 12:34 PM
It's a bad idea in general to use only the numerical scores from the sites as a basis of whether to get a game or not. I read the entire review, consider whether their gripes are things that will bother me, and make a decision from there. I also never read only a single review unless I've pretty much already made my decision.

Mr. Hunt
10-24-07, 12:35 PM
Never. I find games they love (halo 1,2,3) to be crap, and games they hate (Britney Spears dance beat) to be awesome.

NaitoSan
10-24-07, 12:38 PM
I guess it depends, often I look on reviews overall from metacritics or so before I make decision to buy. I'm very very picky when to buy games/movies so, yeah.

Namrok
10-24-07, 12:44 PM
You know, I've taken to getting all my game "reviews" from podcasts. I'll listen to the Games for Windows podcast and the 1Up Yours podcasts, and I get a pretty good idea of whether I'll enjoy a game or not from their "What have you been playing" segments.

It also is quite telling of the review politics. Heavenly Sword comes to mind. On the 1up Yours podcasts, the other people constantly rip on the guy who reviewed, and enjoyed, Heavenly Sword. It honestly seems like they found the one guy in the office who enjoyed the game, and had him write the review, because the other chairs on the podcast are convinced the game sucks.

You also get a lot more out of it being able to hear them talk about the games they are playing in a more casual environment. It's out of the review mindset of "Here is the feature set, thats worth a 7" and more into a "This is how I felt about my gaming experience". Plus its fun hearing them argue, occasionally viciously, about whether the games sucked or not. Plus you get more of an idea as to what their individual gaming tastes are.

So yeah, podcasts FTW. Print reviews FTL.

NaitoSan
10-24-07, 12:56 PM
too bad almost all podcast aren't closed caption.

SOAD
10-24-07, 01:26 PM
i enjoy reading them, but dont really pay attention :)

Stoneyguy
10-24-07, 01:41 PM
Demo's are the best gauge on if I'm going to purchase a game or not. Game reviews are a good read though. I don't take their word as gospel, but it certainly goes into consideration.

RAY16
10-24-07, 01:53 PM
I won't trust reviews until they fix the damn scoring system that they use. In a scale of 0 to 10, 5 would be good/average, yet I constantly see games that me (and often many other people) find good/average scoring 8's and 9's (which would be great/excellent). The review scale has been so messed up for so long that if any game scores below an 8 (even if it's only .5 below 8) people automatically write it off as trash.

Blargh.

CaptNKILL
10-24-07, 02:33 PM
I won't trust reviews until they fix the damn scoring system that they use. In a scale of 0 to 10, 5 would be good/average, yet I constantly see games that me (and often many other people) find good/average scoring 8's and 9's (which would be great/excellent). The review scale has been so messed up for so long that if any game scores below an 8 (even if it's only .5 below 8) people automatically write it off as trash.

Blargh.
:werd:

Eliminator
10-24-07, 02:40 PM
i used to trust ign and gamespot the most... but now i usually go to http://gamerankings.com and see the average review rating also the average user rating.... seems to me a lot of games nowadays are overrated on places such as ign and gamespot

ralinn
10-24-07, 02:48 PM
I've never trusted any of them really, as they tend to mix up fact with opinion most of the time. I dunno about you, but I read reviews to see if a game is worth me buying, not to read someones opinion of it.

I don't give a **** if you thought it was ugly or 'done before'. I don't care if you thought the story wasn't up to your 'expectations'. YOU'RE NOT ME FOR CHRISTS SAKE.

jcrox
10-24-07, 03:04 PM
I don't trust game reviews.

Games often times grow on you during the process of playing. Sometimes (Doom 3 comes to mind) a game starts out and seems like it may very well be the best game ever made, but then 8 hours later of just rehashing the same old crap I end up bored or viewing the game as just so-so. Other times games really grow on me and get more exciting the longer I play them. Reviews always seem to have such a "first impression" feel to them and often don't seem to tell the whole story of the game play.

Also, there's the replay value. Is the game still fun and interesting the 3rd and 4th time through?? I doubt reviewers play a game full through 3 or 4 times before reviewing.

And theres MP.. what's the community like? is it mostly rude kids? are there a lot of cheats? And then mods... the list of stuff a reviewer either can't or wont cover goes on and on...

grey_1
10-24-07, 03:29 PM
No.

DiscipleDOC
10-24-07, 03:32 PM
No.
+1

RAY16
10-24-07, 04:01 PM
I've never trusted any of them really, as they tend to mix up fact with opinion most of the time. I dunno about you, but I read reviews to see if a game is worth me buying, not to read someones opinion of it.

I don't give a **** if you thought it was ugly or 'done before'. I don't care if you thought the story wasn't up to your 'expectations'. YOU'RE NOT ME FOR CHRISTS SAKE.

A review is an opinion. That's the way it has always been, and that's the way it should be. I'll agree that reviewers, even if unintentionally, often try to pass off opinion as fact. However, a review shouldn't be exclusively pure fact nor should it be pure opinion. There should always be a certain amount of unbiased, "technical" information on a game and it's features (or lack thereof) to go along with the opinion of the person playing it.

It's impossible for a review to not be opinion. Personally, I dislike turn-based war games (Combat Mission and the like). I find them boring and tedious, and if I were to review one I would give it a low score because I hate them. The game may be technically good in the bounds of its genre, but because I don't enjoy that type of gameplay in general it's bad to me. It's nearly impossible to write a review completely devoid of bias, which is why a person who likes certain games should only be reviewing those types of games. If you like Platformers, when you rate a Platformer highly it's likely that other Platforming fans will enjoy it just as much as you did (or hate it as much as you did if it's a negative review). The best thing to do is to find a reviewer or two that you that you usually agree with and follow their reviews because you know almost always agree with them.

Of course, there are things that people almost universally agree on as being either good or bad, but those are the extreme exceptions. Things that fall in the middle of the two extremes are largely up to the individual and how they like their games to play, look, sound, etc.

SH64
10-24-07, 04:15 PM
Nope .. i only trust my own eyes.

Sem
10-24-07, 05:44 PM
hell no

after the scores bioshock and the halo series got
never again

nemecb
10-24-07, 06:46 PM
So I have to ask, all of you who say you don't pay any attention to reviews, do you just buy every game you're interested in? Or do you just go with indie sites?

malachi1313
10-24-07, 06:54 PM
I trust pc.ign. they have been pretty legit in the past. I still feel demos are a pretty good gage if a game will suck or not.

rudedog
10-24-07, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Lfctony
10-24-07, 10:40 PM
I just take a look at gamerankings.com. The average tells me what a game is really worth. When you have a game scoring 3/10 on one site and 8/10 on another, its pretty obvious someone is a moron and shouldn't review games. So many decent reviews, whether low or high will bring a game closer to its true score.

Sidric
10-25-07, 03:58 AM
I don't necessarily trust the scores, but I do read the entire review to see what the reviewer liked or disliked. I'm not an idiot and I can tell which is fact and opinion, so when a reviewer says something like "This game did not meet my expectations" I tend to ignore it.

I used to pay more attention to user reviews and feedback on the forums. Not so much anymore, especially with this site in particular. Nothing personal against any of you, but some of you whine so much about graphical detail or whether a game is "consolized", etc it makes me sick.