PDA

View Full Version : RROD :(

Pages : [1] 2

tornadog
10-24-07, 11:23 AM
Yesterday I turned on the 360 hoping to download the VF5 demo and bam RROD....whats strange is I hadnt turned on the 360 since August, so it couldnt have been overheating. I am wondering if some spider or wasp made its way inside and build its nest there...If I send it to MS will I get a box with HDMI as replacement???

Lyme
10-24-07, 11:31 AM
Yesterday I turned on the 360 hoping to download the VF5 demo and bam RROD....whats strange is I hadnt turned on the 360 since August, so it couldnt have been overheating. I am wondering if some spider or wasp made its way inside and build its nest there...If I send it to MS will I get a box with HDMI as replacement???

If your in Canada, it is likely you'll get a HDMI unit as a replacement. MS Canada replaces 360's with re-tested new units, and not repaired ones. I'll tell you which model I get, when they send mine back.

The replacement rules in the usa may be different.

Mr. Hunt
10-24-07, 11:50 AM
Impossible. Did you dump your vacuum cleaner bags into your 360? Only possible way.

toxikneedle
10-24-07, 12:00 PM
3 red rings is hardware failure which may or may not be caused by overheating, so it could still break even though you havent played it for 2 months.

Lyme
10-24-07, 03:10 PM
Impossible. Did you dump your vacuum cleaner bags into your 360? Only possible way.

It was a really sad occasion. I started it up to use it as a windows media center extender, the top use of my 360, and it went south after five minutes of play. The sad part is that the unit was purchased in mid December 2005 and almost lasted two years.
As for the placement and usage of the 360, I had it placed in a nice spot that had good airflow, and had it on a stand (so the IR port would be above the doors of my entertainement unit when open) offering more airflow. That being said, my 360 would typically be on and playing movies, games, or acting as a media extender for six or more hours on weekdays, and on for at least 10 doing things on weekends, for near two years.

So far xbox support has been good, hit the french speaking line accidentally at first, but after that it was good. The only gripe is that Purolator ground courier is soo bloodly slow.

LycosV
10-24-07, 07:25 PM
The red ring of death indicates an error but if you're curious you can get more information about the specific error by holding down the sync button on the front and hitting eject. The lights will flash and based on the flashing you can tell what kind of problem you're having.

I had my system well ventilated and still god the RROD. I opened it to take a look and was able to fix the problem by replacing the X-Clamp on the video chip. I felt bad later because the whole thing happened the weekend before they extended the warranties.

Lyme
10-24-07, 07:29 PM
I didn't think of doing any additional testing on my system, even though I had the time. Now that it is in transit, there isn't any chance of that now. Had the warranties not been extended, I would have likely cracked the case and seen what I could do inside.

Lyme
10-29-07, 03:43 PM
So, after getting the return box, which has bloody well everything you need to send it back: foamies, a colourful instruction sheet, a postage paid return address sticker, a length of tape to reseal the box, only lacked a black marker to put your RMA number on the box; the wife took it to Purolator and we watched the box slowly lumber towards the repair center. MS's repair center is somewhere in Ontario, and I'm in BC, which is like sending something from California to Florida, by ground, sheesh Purolator ground is slow.
The box arrives at the MS center, of which they said they had a three day turn around, they shipped out the new unit the same day. Now using the tracking number on the https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx website, I'm watching as my new 360 ever so slowly is shipped back to me.

Hopefully it will be back by mid week as my recorded tv has been really piling up.

What I still don't know:
-If the unit is truely "new" like the guy on the phone said.
-If I'm going to get one of the newer models (mine was a launch model).

Oh, as a side note, the wonderful people at MS sent me not one, but two, console return boxes. Just incase one got lost?

S.I.N
10-29-07, 03:57 PM
So, after getting the return box, which has bloody well everything you need to send it back: foamies, a colourful instruction sheet, a postage paid return address sticker, a length of tape to reseal the box, only lacked a black marker to put your RMA number on the box; the wife took it to Purolator and we watched the box slowly lumber towards the repair center. MS's repair center is somewhere in Ontario, and I'm in BC, which is like sending something from California to Florida, by ground, sheesh Purolator ground is slow.
The box arrives at the MS center, of which they said they had a three day turn around, they shipped out the new unit the same day. Now using the tracking number on the https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx website, I'm watching as my new 360 ever so slowly is shipped back to me.

Hopefully it will be back by mid week as my recorded tv has been really piling up.

What I still don't know:
-If the unit is truely "new" like the guy on the phone said.
-If I'm going to get one of the newer models (mine was a launch model).

Oh, as a side note, the wonderful people at MS sent me not one, but two, console return boxes. Just incase one got lost?

You seem so thrilled your 360 died and you had to send it back.:headexplode: My guess is that the second box is for when the refurb dies and you have to send it off again.

Lyme
10-29-07, 04:58 PM
You seem so thrilled your 360 died and you had to send it back.:headexplode: My guess is that the second box is for when the refurb dies and you have to send it off again.

I'm neither thrilled, nor too disapointed, stuff breaks, and this has forced me to give time to things I should have been doing. I will be thrilled when I get it back. And hey, I could have had horrible support like you hear that some have been reported to be getting.

Tygerwoody
10-29-07, 06:18 PM
the OP must have put his x360 in a garbage bag and then shoved it in the smallest drawer it would fit in before turning it on. Xbox360's don't have a dieing problem.

S.I.N
10-29-07, 11:06 PM
I'm neither thrilled, nor too disapointed, stuff breaks, and this has forced me to give time to things I should have been doing. I will be thrilled when I get it back. And hey, I could have had horrible support like you hear that some have been reported to be getting.

Same thing Peter Moore said while pretending there wasn't a failure problem. Companies just love people like you. On the upside I guess you wont be disappointed if or when it dies a few more times.

Lyme
10-29-07, 11:18 PM
Same thing Peter Moore said while pretending there wasn't a failure problem. Companies just love people like you. On the upside I guess you wont be disappointed if or when it dies a few more times.

No, no, there is a failure problem, a pretty massive one, MS really screwed up there, no doubt or argument about that. However unlike some, this is my first failure, and I hope the last. As for dealing with tech/rma support, this has not been even near the worst.

EciDemon
10-30-07, 04:54 AM
Got those red lights two times now, and ive had my console for i think less then 3 months.
On the very first boot up it was flashing red, so we checked online and it turned out to be harddrive error. It worked in friends 360 tho, so i decided to format it in his system (thus i lost all the free stuff that was bundled on it >_> ). Several weeks later i found out that even if the HDD is secured as it should, it still might not be enugh >_> I red somewere you should place something heavy ontop of it ... heh - Make sure the hdd is firmly connected.

It turned red last night. Went over to friends place to update the console and all games I have, I come home and connect the console again and i get greeted with the flashing red circle but not the same error flash as with the HDD. It turned out the be just the component video cable wasnt connected all the way in, all tho it felt like it when i pluged it in the first time. - Check cables lol.

So i guess nothing too serious, but i do get the dirty disc messages on brand new scratch free and clean discs, like in the middle of Halo3 ending bah.

Lyme
10-30-07, 11:56 AM
I didn't think that a loose connector would give RROD, and I have not had problems with my hd getting loose, I can say that my 360 was good and dead and was suffering from a overheating problem of some sort.

I wish I could have upgraded the shipping (I probably could have).. Purolator ground is sooo slow.

Ruined
10-31-07, 12:01 AM
I didn't think that a loose connector would give RROD,

A loose video cable does actually give RROD, except all 4 rings instead of 3.

EciDemon
10-31-07, 08:47 AM
I didn't think that a loose connector would give RROD, and I have not had problems with my hd getting loose, I can say that my 360 was good and dead and was suffering from a overheating problem of some sort.

I wish I could have upgraded the shipping (I probably could have).. Purolator ground is sooo slow.

Not saying it wasn't dead, just trying to highlight the fact that the 360 suffers from many of these small issues that can be interprited as real hardware filures or just translate into an unstable envarioment. First time friend and me booted up my console at his place to update it, the first words that came out of his mouth was "Hahahaahaha!!11!! dead on arival!" and I was "Aww crap, dun wanna go down to the store again" But we googled the error and found out what it was as i prevously posted.

I knew before I bought my 360 that it had many problems so I did some searching about such things for a few hours and found some informative posts on various forums with some general tips on how to make it work as good as possible and how to prevent it from breaking. Even if I can replace it, I just don't want it to fail on me, as you never know with the replacement units. Old fixed model or a brand new, You could endup with either one from what people sayd.

One thing i saw on more then one place was that the console hangs due to heat issues, but it might not nessesarly be within the console at all as you would expect. The power brick is very sensitive to overheating too and it can result in crashes, red rings and such. But also *important!*, let the psu be on it's own power source so it's not shared with your TV and/or reciver etc. Keep it well ventilated, just as the console. It has a fan too so don't let it collect dust.

Now, if M$ wasnt in such a hurry to release the 360 or if they made sure it was made up of better quallity components these things would not have been any issues at all. But it is, and they still sell older models that are more likeley to fail then new ones.

My main issue is the dvd drive, i get read errors from time to time in games, not often but when I compare with for example my ps2 that ive had for soo many years where i never got such errors (and belive me ive spend many many hours with my ps2 and all rpg's ive got for it), not even once ... it's just inexcusable if you ask me. Some games are worse then others, dunno why either *N3 is very likely to fail where as in some games I have it have not happend yet*, Worse part is that this is something you just cant do anything about.

Yet with all the messures above taken it's still not guaranteed to work. GPU in my buddies 360 died just like that, he always kept his 360 cool.
Got it replaced with a new working one with a really crappy dvd drive (yet m$ support says its fine), it is very much slower then the one he had or the one in my console and you really do notice the big difference, resulting in timeouts when loading multiplayer maps in for example Perfect Dark. It just takes too long for it to load. This ontop of the occational dirty disc message...
It's very loud too when reading discs as is mine.

The games on the otherhand I do like, just wish there were more of them out there (I just hate sport games and disslike the XboxArcade for most part)

I do wish you well with your replacement unit, Keep it cool (psu too!), Horizontal and on separate powersource and it should work just fine.
It's a very nice console, but with many flaws.

Lyme
10-31-07, 02:43 PM
I coulden't agree more, while I haven't had many of those issues, MS really has had major quality control/design problems with the 360. Until they can prove that they have resolved these issues quite a lot of the public will be wary about the console.

LycosV
10-31-07, 06:53 PM
While I will agree that there was a flaw in the design (innadequate cooling for the GPU) I don't think Microsoft deserves all the flak they're taking for "rushing" the console. The RROD hardly ever rears its head until long after the purchase of the console. It's hard to test for thermal issues of that kind. You can't do long term thermal tests without taking long term.

It's kinda like cooking in the oven. 325 degrees for 3 hours may make a great turkey, but you can't crank it to 650 degrees for 1.5 hours, or 975 degrees for an hour and hope to see the same results. If the RROD shows up during normal operation months into use that's just not going to show up in normal testing.

npras42
10-31-07, 07:14 PM
I totally disagree with you, LycosV. The console was badly designed. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that with their chip positioning, placement and overall motherboard design that issues may occur. There was always going to be that chance and they seemed to have missed it. You could say its easy to spot the problem in hindsight but I think it was more obvious than that.

OTOH I do believe it was a genuine mistake and they are paying for it (literally) now. Somehow they just managed miss it. What I can't forgive them for is the quality of the DVD drive (jet engine-powered???). It infuriates me when I show my X360 to a friend or family member and they all say, "Wow, its pretty loud isn't it!?". Makes me want to throw the cheap piece of crap out the window.

Lyme
10-31-07, 07:16 PM
I haven't given MS flak for rushing the console, looking at the design and considerations, plus the software that had been built, you can easily see that MS took their time in producting the 360. However in that same vein, I do think that they should have accepted responsibility for the issues a little earler, which would have helped with damage control. Even now, MS has not done a great job of convincing people that the problems of old are now resolved.
Sometimes unexpected things happen in technology, such as when Intel switched to the 65nm node and had problems with the layers of substrate seperating after a few hours of intense usage. Their solution? Redesign the chip so less heat was produced in those areas, but that solution only came after months in the market and was never widly reported.

ViN86
10-31-07, 10:28 PM
wow, didnt expect this from you... :rolleyes:

your **** is so tired. :|

LycosV
11-01-07, 01:51 AM
What I can't forgive them for is the quality of the DVD drive (jet engine-powered???). It infuriates me when I show my X360 to a friend or family member and they all say, "Wow, its pretty loud isn't it!?". Makes me want to throw the cheap piece of crap out the window.

I agree with you on the noise of the DVD drive, it's distracting to say the least. Out of curiosity, which drive type do you have? There are actually three different models of DVD Drive installed in 360's: Toshiba Samsung, Hitachi, and BenQ. Before I got mine I heard that the Toshiba drive is quieter than the Hitachi, I dunno about the BenQ. I luckily got the Toshiba drive and I can only feel sorry for people who have one louder than this.

...I do think that they should have accepted responsibility for the issues a little earler, which would have helped with damage control.

I couldn't agree more. People figured out that the overheating of the GPU was the problem long before Microsoft admitted to it. They should've been on top of it faster.

EciDemon
11-01-07, 05:27 AM
I agree with you on the noise of the DVD drive, it's distracting to say the least. Out of curiosity, which drive type do you have? There are actually three different models of DVD Drive installed in 360's: Toshiba Samsung, Hitachi, and BenQ. Before I got mine I heard that the Toshiba drive is quieter than the Hitachi, I dunno about the BenQ. I luckily got the Toshiba drive and I can only feel sorry for people who have one louder than this.

It's kinda beside the point, Luck should not be a factor when buying a new console. Ive no clue what DVD model my 360 has. The noise, while annoying I can live with, it's the poor tollerance level that bugs me the most. Since I got my console just 3 months ago I had to buy a used Doa4 as no new ones were available. Knowing how poor the reader is I checked the disc in the store and commented on it was a bit "dirty", not much, no scratches, I just had a feeling that if my new games get read errors, this one will prolly not boot at all. And the clerc says "naw, thats not bad it wont cause you any problems and _IF_ it does, come back with it here."
So I get home and pop it in. And i get the screen "To play this disc, insert it into a Xbox 360 console" ROFL. Thats so sad. It happens when the 360 mistakes games as DVD movies. It worked fine after I cleaned it. Thing is, the disc wasnt really that dirty at all. If this was a DVD movie, PC dvd or a game for my PS2, I would not have to clean it, those DVD drives would read it w/o problems.
If you buy a new console, like the Elite. Your still not guaranteed to have better hardware in it. Just days after release, same old problems were repported all over the net. That's also inexcusable.
Normal high failure rate of electronics is generally sayd to be ~5%. While M$ is not talking, some stores report up to 30%

While I was looking for tips just before I got my console, I saw this one guy who had replaced his console a whooping 9 times. Since it was a post I can not confirm it, but I can say many people had there consoles replaced multiple times yet says they take good care of it.

It's such a shame as I really do like to play my games on the 360.

Mr. Hunt
11-01-07, 06:44 AM
wow, didnt expect this from you... :rolleyes:

your **** is so tired. :|

As is yours. Go back and play Halo 3 some more.