PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a 360 elite...

v3rninater
10-25-07, 12:45 AM
I've heard about the problems, should I just get a normal Xbox? Should I wait it out for a bit, what do you guys think?

Scratching disks, yuk!!!!

I would like to buy locally from Wallmat or BestLie, but I dunno, all these things happening to 360, makes me want to not buy one.

kev13dd
10-25-07, 12:56 AM
Go for it

The new versions with smaller chips have already been spotted in circulation so you have a chance of getting one. Not to mention that with the warrenty extension even if it does give you issues you'll be covered for awhile to come. The game library and enjoyment you'll get out of it is worth the risk of having to go a week or two without it if you are unlucky

As for scratched discs, I've never experienced it, and it's a lot more rare than the 3 rings. Just don't move your console while it's running and you should be fine

K

S.I.N
10-25-07, 01:22 AM
If you don't plan on downloading a lot of TV shows or don't mind deleting demos once done with them just get the regular 20GB with 2 free games and save yourself $90. The 20GB is more than enough really unless you really want a black system.

LycosV
10-25-07, 01:38 AM
I agree with all of the above.

v3rninater
10-25-07, 01:42 AM
Awesome, me and my friend are going to be gamin it up on Friday Night, I have a 1080i TV and that HDMI cable will come in mighty handy. I'm sooo going to buy H3, and Ace Combat 6. Hopefully that should keep us rocking for awhile!

Thanks yall!

Stoneyguy
10-25-07, 02:39 AM
Best of luck with your system. I bought the elite the day of it's release and it's been great so far. NCAA Football 08 has been my game of choice lately.

BioHazZarD
10-25-07, 03:47 AM
Think again please, rumors are that microsoft are designing a new 360 with built in hddvd for games and wifi.

LurkerLito
10-25-07, 08:21 AM
Yeah the 20GB drive is enough, but honestly, it'll cost you less to get the bigger HD with the system purchase, rather than later finding out you'd like to have more space. Your price difference right now is $90, but once you realize "I need more space" it'll cost you $180.

Lyme
10-25-07, 10:50 AM
I've heard about the problems, should I just get a normal Xbox? Should I wait it out for a bit, what do you guys think?

Scratching disks, yuk!!!!

I would like to buy locally from Wallmat or BestLie, but I dunno, all these things happening to 360, makes me want to not buy one.

If your going to buy a 360 in the near future, there are a few things you want to keep in mind. MS has just in the last few months updated the design to use the shrunk cpu, and to be more reliable. The best way to increase your chances at getting the new model is through purchase of a Arcade pack, or a Pro with a HDMI port on it. (note: hdmi cables do not come with either the Arcade or the Pro with HDMI) The Pro's with the HDMI in them, have a sticker on the box saying so. I am unsure how to determine if the boxed Elites are the new design or not.

Do not buy a Core system, and try not to get a unit without a HDMI port as they are the older design.

As for disc scratching, lay your horizontally. It stops the wobble you'll get when you have it standing, and it dvd drive is less noisy that way.

Moo
10-25-07, 10:53 AM
If your going to buy a 360 in the near future, there are a few things you want to keep in mind. MS has just in the last few months updated the design to use the shrunk cpu, and to be more reliable. The best way to increase your chances at getting the new model is through purchase of a Arcade pack, or a Pro with a HDMI port on it. (note: hdmi cables do not come with either the Arcade or the Pro with HDMI) The Pro's with the HDMI in them, have a sticker on the box saying so. I am unsure how to determine if the boxed Elites are the new design or not.

Do not buy a Core system, and try not to get a unit without a HDMI port as they are the older design.

As for disc scratching, lay your horizontally. It stops the wobble you'll get when you have it standing, and it dvd drive is less noisy that way.

I think the Halo edition of the 360 also has the new CPU (but mobo might still be a zypher instead of falcon, either way).

Lyme
10-25-07, 10:56 AM
I think the Halo edition of the 360 also has the new CPU (but mobo might still be a zypher instead of falcon, either way).

From what I have read, I'm pretty sure that you are correct that the HALO edition is the new design and cpu. It is really the elites that I'm unsure of, however the sale rate of them seems to be pretty good and it is likely that they are all the new design now.

evilchris
10-25-07, 11:19 AM
20GB has been enough for me. Mine was purchased November, 2005 on launch day. Never a single glitch. I can't think of a reason to have more than 20GB if you are using it for gaming.

kev13dd
10-25-07, 03:34 PM
Think again please, rumors are that microsoft are designing a new 360 with built in hddvd for games and wifi.
Even if the rumors are true, the rumors mention that it won't come out for awhile- middle of next year at the earliest. That's a long time to wait if he wants it right now!

K

NaitoSan
10-25-07, 04:24 PM
In other thread, Toshiba confirmed that Microsoft and Toshiba are not working on a HD-DVD based Xbox 360.

http://www.dailytech.com/Toshiba+Denies+Work+on+Xbox+360+With+Builtin+HD+DV D/article9391.htm

v3rninater
10-29-07, 10:17 PM
I did manage to get a new Elite system from EB games, it was the one with a controller and 2 games bundled. Isn't that like really recent, so my chances of it being smaller die size = great?

Anyhow, I've been playing Halo3, Ace Combat, Marvell Hero's..., and Forza 2. Not bad at all, especially @ 1080i, but I dunno, feels like something is missing for me. Maybe I'm just used to computers too much or something.:cool:

I may take it back, but we'll see.

PS3 any better!?

Lyme
10-29-07, 10:21 PM
I did manage to get a new Elite system from EB games, it was the one with a controller and 2 games bundled. Isn't that like really recent, so my chances of it being smaller die size = great?

Anyhow, I've been playing Halo3, Ace Combat, Marvell Hero's..., and Forza 2. Not bad at all, especially @ 1080i, but I dunno, feels like something is missing for me. Maybe I'm just used to computers too much or something.:cool:

PS3 any better!?

The online play is pretty good, and you have games such as bomberman and such.

The PS3 is different, but the same. Different games, just another console, however sometimes thats all it takes.

skoprowski
10-31-07, 02:35 PM

PS3 any better!?

Something is missing.........it's called a keyboard and mouse! LOL

I got my 360 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying it with the exception of any FPS game. I'm getting my a#$ handed to me in Halo3. I still can't get used to using a controller for FPS shooters. Other than that I really like the 360.

Lyme
10-31-07, 03:10 PM
Something is missing.........it's called a keyboard and mouse! LOL

I got my 360 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying it with the exception of any FPS game. I'm getting my a#$ handed to me in Halo3. I still can't get used to using a controller for FPS shooters. Other than that I really like the 360.

It takes time, but you'll get there, practice practice practice russian goggles practice.

Starscream
10-31-07, 09:43 PM
I dunno, feels like something is missing for me. Maybe I'm just used to computers too much or something.:cool:

My roommate and I have the same feeling so far with the 360.

Right now there's one game coming out that I'm looking forward to and it's an Xbox Live Arcade game... I'm glad I didn't buy this machine. heh.