PDA

View Full Version : So, I finalized the parts for my new build

Pages : [1] 2

Kain
10-25-07, 08:06 AM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz / 1333MHz FSB / 12MB L2 Cache ($316.00)
HSF: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme ($64.95) / SilverStone FM121 ($19.99) / Zalman ZM-STG1 Super Thermal Grease ($9.99)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula ($289.99)
RAM: 4 x 1GB Mushkin HP2-6400 DDR2 996533 ($179.98)
Hard drive: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB ($189.99)
CD/DVD Burner: Plextor PX-810SA ($89.99)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB ($250.00)
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtreamGamer Fatal1ty Pro ($135.99)
Power supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad ($179.99)
Case: SilverStone TJ09 ($279.99)

Since the Q9450 will be released in January 2008, I'm thinking of getting a Q6600 for now so I can at least play Crysis and then upgrading to the Q9450 in January. :)

I have one question though. It is worth getting another 150GB Raptor X and doing a RAID 0 setup? Is the performance increase worth it?

wysiwyg
10-25-07, 08:18 AM
lucky bastage :super:

Kain
10-25-07, 10:55 PM
Thanks. :)

But... I have one question though. It is worth getting another 150GB Raptor X and doing a RAID 0 setup? Is the performance increase worth it? :confused:

Vanzagar
10-26-07, 02:02 AM
Wow, this is real close to my build that I hope to get in Jan, couple differences though...

Your case seems over priced, I'll be prob be looing at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138&Tpk=coolmaster%2bcosmos

The case you picked is it really worth an extra $100, I see it pays a little more attention to vid card cooling...

THis will be my cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102

Also, seems like your DVD burner is overly expensive....

Instead of the sound card and good headset, I'm still exploring just using a good USB headset, but I think I'll buy and try at local Fry's until I get it right...

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/akr8/home.aspx

Should be nice system, sorry I can't answer your RAID q...

rhuala

stncttr908
10-26-07, 10:41 AM
The TJ09 is definitely worth it IMO. Beautiful build and a dream to work with.

The RAID 0 would give you a boost, but when we're talking about Raptors the boost wouldn't be worth the money.

Libertysyclone
10-26-07, 11:16 AM
The RAID 0 perf is only about a 10% increase. I would by two and use one as OS only and the other for games/apps. This will give you overall better perf IMO.

You could benifit more if you threw the Page Swap to a third drive, that isnt used much like a media storage 500GB.

mythy
10-26-07, 12:17 PM
DON'T BUY THAT SOUND CARD!!! :thumbdwn: Its a Audigy 4 buy the fatality or xtream music Or if you want a REAL sound card pick this up instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156005

Kain
10-26-07, 12:41 PM
DON'T BUY THAT SOUND CARD!!! :thumbdwn: Its a Audigy 4 buy the fatality or xtream music Or if you want a REAL sound card pick this up instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156005 That card is $229.99. :headexplode:

Xtream Music? I hope you mean Xtream Audio? :confused:

If so, how is the Xtream Audio better than the XtreamGamer?

Kain
10-26-07, 12:46 PM
How is the XtreamGamer different than the XtreamGamer Fatal1ty Pro?

DRen72
10-26-07, 12:56 PM
The XtremeAudio is the card he meant, the Xtremegamer is a true X-Fi and is just fine.

stncttr908
10-26-07, 12:57 PM
Xtremegamer is not a real X-Fi. It is the same recycled SB Live! they've been using for years and years, AFAIK.

Starscream
10-26-07, 01:06 PM
Xtremegamer is not a real X-Fi. It is the same recycled SB Live! they've been using for years and years, AFAIK.

Indeed it is.

EDIT - After seeing the next post maybe I figured I'd clarify my post just in case. I was agreeing with stncttr908 that it's not a real X-Fi chip and should not be purchased.

mythy
10-26-07, 01:46 PM
The Xtremegamer is not a X-Fi

EDIT - After the above edit I now agree with Starscream :)

Kain
10-26-07, 02:10 PM
Which is better? XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro or Xtreme Audio?

mythy
10-26-07, 02:15 PM
XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro becasuse of X-ram possailities.

But lets forget about that for a minute. You do know that Vista doesn't use EAX ect. They have to use software emulation to run it. OpenAL is the way of the future in vista so you might want to consider some thing else. Vista + X-Fi is useless and mine just sold on ebay for $85. if your going for audio and music quality get a card with changeable DACs instead.

Kain
10-26-07, 02:18 PM
XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro becasuse of X-ram possailities.

But lets forget about that for a minute. You do know that Vista doesn't use EAX ect. They have to use software emulation to run it. OpenAL is the way of the future in vista so you might want to consider some thing else. Vista + X-Fi is useless and mine just sold on ebay for $85. if your going for audio and music quality get a card with changeable DACs instead. Any recommendation for another card that costs the same as the XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro?

mythy
10-26-07, 02:50 PM
Well theres other options but it depends on what you got in terms of speakers and needs. I use a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro and my cans are HD595. I can instantly tell the difference between sound cards. If you have good speakers you might be better off with a higher quality sound card with better DACs. On the other hand you might not know any better when it comes to sound quality and a simple onboard solution might work for you.

Either way the X-Fi isn't very useful any more.Check out these guys cards
http://www.auzentech.com/site/index.php

Also look at the "HT omega plus" sound card (google) ;)

The best card out there right now is the Prelude. It uses creatives crippled X-Fi and turns it into a beast! But its $200 and there always sold out since every one wants one. Getting your hands on one wont be easy!!!

DRen72
10-26-07, 03:17 PM
Well, you guys are wrong about the XtremeGamer not being an X-Fi card. The XtremeMusic card was the card that was based on the earlier SB-Live and Audigy chip, not the XtremeGamer. Check this site for a good lesson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

At the bottom you will see what cards use what chips. The Xtremegamer is a true X-Fi card but it is also the most basic of them. What makes a card a true X-Fi card is the use of the EMU20K1 chip, which this card uses.

mythy
10-26-07, 03:20 PM
uhh I personally pulled the heat sink off of one and I can tell you its not a X-fi chip. So unless they changed the design s still a SB chip ;)

Kain
10-26-07, 04:02 PM
Well, I am an audiophile and very picky regarding sound quality, but I'll be using the Logitech Z-5500 Digital speakers. Is there any point in getting the Prelude over a XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro with these speakers? What exactly is the difference between the Prelude and teh XtremeGamer Fata1ty Pro?

mythy
10-26-07, 04:10 PM
They used audiophile grade components. There is better channel separation, less distortion, a flatter response and better sampling. Its a noticeable difference or at least for me and my ultimate ears it was. :captnkill: The card was by far worth it. and with DTS support coming soon via a driver update this is the PERFECT card for HDDVD playback on your PC or any DVD for that matter. Some thing Creative fails do do. Another GREAT feature is the ability to use digital out AND a Mic. On the Creative X-Fi you have to buy a bay device to use both at the same time. Not cool!!!! :headexplode:

Readthis review: http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=456&Itemid=27

I'd recommend the NV News review but it was junk. They didn't even compare the card to its X-Fi cousin... !?!?? WTF?!?!?!

mythy
10-26-07, 04:14 PM
I'd also like to point out that they used the same DAC as M-Audio did with the E-MU 1820M :D You know that $500 dollar sound card ;) Simply put you will be paying a high price for the components used and not for a company name such as creative.

Kain
10-26-07, 04:22 PM
Don't the Z-5500 Digitals already have a decoder for Dolby Digital and DTS? In that case, it shouldn't matter whether the sound card can or cannot decode Dolby Digital and DTS, correct? :confused:

BTW, I quickly went through the review and while it seems to be an excellent sound card, it taxes the CPU quite a bit more than the Creative. There was a 10 fps difference in Quake 4!

lightman
10-26-07, 04:41 PM
Well, you guys are wrong about the XtremeGamer not being an X-Fi card. The XtremeMusic card was the card that was based on the earlier SB-Live and Audigy chip, not the XtremeGamer. Check this site for a good lesson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

At the bottom you will see what cards use what chips. The Xtremegamer is a true X-Fi card but it is also the most basic of them. What makes a card a true X-Fi card is the use of the EMU20K1 chip, which this card uses.

(partially) Wrong, as per the exact page you linked to. The XtremeMusic is a true X-Fi, it's the XtremeAudio that is using the CA0106 (the same used in the Audigy SE, the Audigy Value and the SB Live! 24 bit).

And the XtremeGamer is a X-Fi, too...

mythy
10-26-07, 04:42 PM
how it works is a DVD or HD DVD is encoded in a format. Your sound card then will either pass on that format in its raw state to a receiver for decoding or it will proses it. Creative never paid for the lisencing from DTS and Dolby digital so there cards cant proses it they are forced to down sample the signal to a lesser quality. From my understanding your speakers just re sample the signal into DTS afterwards.

I could be wrong on that last part tho. Digital out tho is in a PCM format. I never got a DTS signal from my X-Fi thats for sure! :rolleyes:

as far as performance goes its due to the 1% more CPU utilization and beta drivers. Technically while the card is out the drivers arnt done yet. Also looking at Quake 4 it was obviously CPU bound. Looking at the other tests shows the drop to be only 2 or 3 fps. Not a major deal considering the driver state. Besides that not what you WERE supposed to be looking at! Look at the THD and sampling charts instead ;)