View Full Version : Microsoft Forces Desktop Search On Windows Update

evilghost
10-25-07, 09:36 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/25/windows_update_snafu/

Q
10-25-07, 09:42 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/25/windows_update_snafu/

You don't have to tell me about it...

Yesterday, I had to image a machine that got the Virtumondoeee bug. I push the image, do MS updates, restart the machine. Lo AND behold I have a ****ing toolbar sitting on the task bar when it restarts. I'm like, WTF MATE? Spyware, virus?

No, Windows Desktop Search. Fan-****ing-tastic.

I thought, hey, maybe I chose an optional update. This is MY fault. (or so I thought)

This morning I am greeted with a fresh login screen instead of my usual LOCKED machine. The glory of Auto Updates. And lo AND behold I have the Windows Search toolbar waiting for me.

Waiting for me to remove from my system, that is. (I've had issues with it last year causing system instability on a few systems).

evilghost
10-25-07, 09:43 AM
Google has a desktop search, people may/may not have it installed/heard about it. IDEA: We'll install our version (likely purchased from another company) on all machines without option.

EDIT: Confirmed it's another example of technology/software assimilation and it wasn't developed in-house: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1624156,00.asp

Q
10-25-07, 09:46 AM
Google has a desktop search, people may/may not have it installed/heard about it. IDEA: We'll install our version (likely purchased from another company) on all machines without option.

Exactly.

I don't see how even the hardcore MS fanboys can justify something like this. It's anticompetitive, causing a lot of issues, removed control from administrators, and installed A DAMN TOOLBAR!

evilghost
10-25-07, 09:48 AM
Google Desktop Search introduced several vulnerabilities to the system, who knows what vulnerabilities and information leakage this will introduce.

Q
10-25-07, 09:53 AM
Google Desktop Search introduced several vulnerabilities to the system, who knows what vulnerabilities and information leakage this will introduce.

I know that's the bigger and long term picture. But right now I'm more worried about the calls were getting with people thinking they caught some sort of spyware because they have a toolbar on their task bar and their machine is running slow.

evilghost
10-25-07, 09:56 AM
I know that's the bigger and long term picture. But right now I'm more worried about the calls were getting with people thinking they caught some sort of spyware because they have a toolbar on their task bar and their machine is running slow.

Just tell 'em it's the Redmond.Win32.AntiTrust.Search virus.

six_storm
10-25-07, 10:01 AM
Wow, and Vista doesn't need to be any slower than it already is.

Q
10-25-07, 10:31 AM

I thought this was already integrated into Vista....

::shrugs::

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 10:34 AM

wow, and you don't know what you are talking about.

this is on xp, not vista.

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 10:38 AM

I never used the Desktop Search with XP, but does it work like on Vista?

because in vista i do use the indexer, makes searching a lot quicker. I noticed on vista if computer is actually doing something indexer will stop or hault. if its idle it will continue to index and stop once its done, then just check for changes.

so does that mean that on xp it just continues to run no matter what you are doing?

Dragunov
10-25-07, 10:51 AM
Vista doesn't have this problem

Q
10-25-07, 11:00 AM
I never used the Desktop Search with XP, but does it work like on Vista?

because in vista i do use the indexer, makes searching a lot quicker. I noticed on vista if computer is actually doing something indexer will stop or hault. if its idle it will continue to index and stop once its done, then just check for changes.

so does that mean that on xp it just continues to run no matter what you are doing?

Yes, it should be the same as Vista's default search.

Back in the early (but not beta) versions of the XP product, I would have issues where the search would SAY it wasn't indexing but machines would have severe performance issues.

I let it run for a while today on my machine before I uninstalled it, and it said that it was "paused while computer is in use". I didn't notice any problems, but I'm running a e6600 with 2GB of ram. We have machines running with late P3/early P4s and 256 megs of ram though, so they might have a significantly different experience.

Dragunov
10-25-07, 11:19 AM
Well my HDD keeps spinning too constantly on Vista, not much, but it happens