PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

msxyz
10-25-07, 01:14 PM
I've been able to snatch it one day in advance.

I've been through the tutorial part and I must say I'm impressed by the graphics. My PC is barely above minimum specs but it runs this game fine at 1024x768 and 2x AA. I had to turn down AF a little and disable depth of field which seems a taxing effect.

Graphics looks nice enough to me, nothing ground braking but with high res textures and decent models. During the tutorial there are a lot of cutway scenes. It seems that the backgrounds are real time rendered but the actors are not, sort of FMV sprites. It must be seen to understand what I mean.

One last thing before I plunge back into this game, it' s really memory hungry! I've a heavily customized win XP installation (thanks, nLite!!!) which takes less than 80MB at startup. During the game sessions, memory usage soars up to 1.4GB! It also takes ages to load the areas

Back to the game, guys. I'll post you my updated impressions tomorrow

conroejoe
10-25-07, 01:38 PM
(lee63) Ahoy!

msxyz
10-25-07, 01:45 PM
100% legit copy :)

European release date is tomorrow. Many shops start selling the games earlier to the customers who payed in advance or reserve their copy of a game.

methimpikehoses
10-25-07, 01:49 PM
More on gameplay and some screens when you get a chance pls!

gulizard
10-25-07, 02:50 PM
I've been able to snatch it one day in advance.

I've been through the tutorial part and I must say I'm impressed by the graphics. My PC is barely above minimum specs but it runs this game fine at 1024x768 and 2x AA. I had to turn down AF a little and disable depth of field which seems a taxing effect.

Graphics looks nice enough to me, nothing ground braking but with high res textures and decent models. During the tutorial there are a lot of cutway scenes. It seems that the backgrounds are real time rendered but the actors are not, sort of FMV sprites. It must be seen to understand what I mean.

One last thing before I plunge back into this game, it' s really memory hungry! I've a heavily customized win XP installation (thanks, nLite!!!) which takes less than 80MB at startup. During the game sessions, memory usage soars up to 1.4GB! It also takes ages to load the areas

Back to the game, guys. I'll post you my updated impressions tomorrow

Its actually out or at least some of the pirate groups have leaked it out... I heard the europe version has uncensored breast for you pervs... and the America version got shorted with cards that block them?

Mr. Hunt
10-25-07, 02:51 PM
Should be getting my import Wednesday or Thursday.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-25-07, 02:52 PM
Don't even try to run this under Vista, has pretty major issues and constantly crashes from what I hear :lol:

methimpikehoses
10-25-07, 02:56 PM
Don't even try to run this under Vista, has pretty major issues and constantly crashes from what I hear :lol:

ugh, from who?

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 03:04 PM
i got one day shipping from GoGamer, and it supposed to ship on the 29th.

msxyz
10-25-07, 03:16 PM
I have the European uncensored version. It has the PEGI 18+ rating on the box.

Yes, there are even sex scenes in it, one pretty early in the game. Nothing hardcore, scene is blurred and fades out, something you would expect from a normal movie. Oh, I forgot: boobs physics are in as well ;)

Screenshots will follow

Dragunov
10-25-07, 03:31 PM
Well, what about graphics and gameplay, better than Oblivion or on par with it?

crainger
10-25-07, 04:29 PM

I know a bunch of guys running Vista who have the game and they said it's running extremely well.

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 04:31 PM
Well, what about graphics and gameplay, better than Oblivion or on par with it?

****, STOP COMPARING WITCHER TO THAT POS!!

Dragunov
10-25-07, 04:37 PM
Oblivion is a very nice game too, and I just want to know if it looks and feels better

Tygerwoody
10-25-07, 04:38 PM
****, STOP COMPARING WITCHER TO THAT POS!!
since when was oblivion a POS? The only people I know of that call oblivion a "POS" are people who have nothing better to do with their time other than cry about "ZOMG noT REL RPG!" Oblivion was good for what it was. It was fun. All that matters. Who cares whether or not it was a TrURE RpG!

And I seriously doubt witcher looks anywhere near as good as Oblivion, being Witcher on the Aurora engine.

Jonelo
10-25-07, 04:45 PM
The graphics are a DX8 /DX9 style . I believe that without paralax and normals and HDR - but some bloom efects - good models and animations - escept the facial animations . The artistic design is good in this game , dark , impressive.

The gameplay is a mixture between Click-action RPGs and clasic RPG games, with many conversations and decisions diferent . But the combat not is only a typical click only , is diferent . You must click when the crosshair indicates the possibility of injuring or give a fatal attack, and choose three different modes of combat, against groups , against powerful enemies and against the rapid enemies. And the history and atmosphere has a sound adult

The critiques in the reviews and first opinions in my country are good critiques , with good notes for the type of game that is. The game is something linear in some scenes . Alone I have played the beginning of the tutorial .

The Witcher 720p video to see at FULSCREEN

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/jonelo/capturas/yiuit.jpg (http://stage6.divx.com/user/Oritxupolitena/video/1779202/The-Witcher-720p-15000-kbps)

jeffmd
10-25-07, 04:53 PM
jonelo, that footage does interest me. can you get some longer gameplay footage? How do special melee abilities and spells play out?

Jonelo
10-25-07, 05:03 PM
I am very bad at playing these games :D , if I learn to play with special abilities and spells, yes :D

crainger
10-25-07, 05:32 PM
Oblivion is a very nice game too, and I just want to know if it looks and feels better

You can't really compare. If you like FPS then Oblivion will probably feel better, if you like Isometric and Third Person, The Witcher will feel better. For looks, again you can't compare. Oblivion has a bright, happy HDR glowy look, while The Witcher is dark and gloomy with blur effects.

However both are 'light' RPGs. The Witcher has a Dark Messiah/Bloodlines system for skill building (though a lot more in depth) while Oblivion basically worked like real life, where you do and you learn. I like the Witcher's skill system, gives me a lot more control over my character.

Also The Witcher's story, promises to be a lot better than Oblivion's IF it survives the translation ok.

msxyz
10-25-07, 05:43 PM
Graphics are less spectacular than Oblivion and the engine doesn't seem to be optimized at all. I'd say the graphics are on par with what Source and Unreal engine 2.5 are capable of but the requirements are certainly higher.

It's still too early to judge the gameplay. The look and feeling is very different from any other fantasy RPG out there. Sure there are dwarves and elves but this is a gritty, dark, dirty world which reeks with decadence and corruption in a subtle but convincing way.

Unlike Oblivion there ARE dialogues with choices here :) And they do carry conseguences. Combat is a bit like Baldur's gate with some real time elements in it. It's also possible to pause any time and do some actions while paused. I think it can please both trigger happy people and those who prefer something less intense.

I've played about 4 hrs tonight and the game never crashed. Here are a couple of promised screenshots; two are from cutscenes but they use ingame assets, at least I think so:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3844/witcher1ct6.th.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=witcher1ct6.jpg)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2641/witcher2hr5.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=witcher2hr5.jpg)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4365/witcher3jr3.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=witcher3jr3.jpg)

K007
10-25-07, 07:06 PM
I think a good comparison is how is it compare to NWN2?

And yea Oblivion was..very very boring..

Xion X2
10-25-07, 07:48 PM
I know a bunch of guys running Vista who have the game and they said it's running extremely well.
Yeah, just more Vista myths. Guess the bullsh*t will never end.

Jonelo
10-25-07, 08:53 PM
Yeah, just more Vista myths. Guess the bullsh*t will never end.

The page of update of the game, one of few things that puts

1. The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

And the same problem in many games with great usage of memory - Stalker, Supreme Comander Crysis ? , the typical true games of PC

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 12:20 AM
1.1 patch is out!

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/witcher/downloads/

Patch 1.1 Major Fixes
=============================================
Gameplay & text bugs fixed:

- Fixed character development issues with some abilities and skills.
- Fixes for some storyline related progression breaks.
- Fixes for druids' day-night cycle in Act 5.
---- Fixes for sex scene with nurses in Act 5. ---
- Signet fixes (some signets were received twice).
- Fixed story incoherency regarding Erkyn in Act 3.
- Experience gain indication localization fixes.
- Mutagen potion - new fixes for showing up a message.
- Fixed items used in eating animations.
- Geralt's allies fixed to always react properly to all mosnters.
- Bounty Hunter is Agent Smith no more (he doesn't replicate). Mr. Geralt, we missed you...
- Echinopses and Archespores now use their own spikes instead of arrows.
- Fixes for alchemical ingredients extracted from some monsters.
- Raven Crypt - few fixes for geometry and placeables.
- Fixed few places where player was supposed to meditate, but couldn't.
- Fixed story incoherence in Berengar quest.
- Soldier practicing on training dummy won't penetrate... it.
- Berengar won't disappear on sight when sparing him.
- A whole lot of localization fixes (some of them won't work with old savegames!).

Code bugs fixed:

- Fixed all diagnosed stability issues and crashes.
- Fixed few gameplay issues with WSAD and mousedrive controls.
- Alt-Tab related issues fixed (random crashes, hang-ups, cursor blocking).
- Cat potion estimated time display - fixed.
- Dropping items from the inventory fixes for better spread.
- Weapon visual FXes fixed during dialogues.
- Confirmation box shown when player uses Quick Load.
- Tooltip fixes for lower resolutions (for example 800x600).
- All read books now have the appropriate note in description.
- Sitting animation fixes for few characters that sat beside the chair.
- Alt-Tab fixes for dialogue lines and gameplay options.
- Savegame option blocked around Aard throwing time.
- Audio: rat squealing sound fixes for minimized mode.
- Movies and cutscenes fixes for Alt-Tabbing.
- AI: fixed NPCs chasing enemies that were no more.
- AI: few poker fixes.
- Fixed problems with items appearing back in storages.
- Fixed blizzard problems with cutscenes and dialogues.
- Fixed toxicity effect for Alt-Tabbing.
- Finishers fixes - animation sometimes did not play.
- When taking out an unknown item of the storage, the user can no longer see the name of the potion. Good one...
- Fixed saving in tight places (player got teleported after load... sometimes).

Art & sound bugs fixed:

- Vizim's Temple Quarter: ~30 physics fixes; corrected barrels; ~10 decoration fixes.
- Kaer Morhen: Wild animals fixes.
- Sewers: commoners sleeping fxes; ~5 item properties fixes; ~10 skeleton placement fixes.
- Vizim's Temple Quarter/Burning Vizim:The banner on the tower is no longer black.
- Old Manor: Koschey boss movement fixes.
- Mutants fixes for decapitation. That means no decapitation now.
- Werewolf physics fixes.
- Chainmail stand placeable now has collision surface (player/npc can't pass through it).
- Celina brightness fixes for interiors.
- Order knights lighting fixes.
- Bread item fixes for eating animation.
- More detailed model of Horse+Wagon for opening cutscenes.
- Journal entry for crypts fixed now.
- A child in epilogue cutscene doesn't look like badly sewn young Frankenstein.
- Old lady and dwarves - idle animation fixes.

cadoras99
10-26-07, 03:30 AM
I've got no issues playing this game performance-wise under Vista. No crashes or anything. There are load times between environments, but it's a lot like Neverwinter Nights. They aren't long either. Unlike NWN2 however, it's actually fun so far and I'm pretty impressed. I've been waiting for a game, and RPG especially with some depth. I wish the game speed were a little quicker, but oh well, it's not a detraction.

All detail maxed out, but it won't let me enable EAX effects for some reason.

1.1 patch
Vista 32-bit
e6600@3.24ghz
2gb ram
evga 8800gts superclocked 640mb
sb x-fi fatality