PDA

View Full Version : Headsets - USB vs Soundcard

Vanzagar
10-25-07, 01:16 PM
Looking at getting these:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/akr8/home.aspx

What are the pluses and minus of USB vs. using the mini-plug/sound card route? .. I have no clue... is there such a thing as a USB Headset that plugs into a sound card?

I see come ads for sound cards that say they can improve FPS by 10%, is this true? Is that the main reason for getting a sound card... I don't like having an extra piece of hardware if I don't need it, just more chances of conflicts or things that can go wrong, but for 10% more FPS it may be worth it...

Thanks,

rhuala

ps. would use mostly for gaming and some mp3 music...

andy_nv
10-25-07, 05:32 PM
One minus I can think of is when you have a tv tuner that needs to be connected to the soundcard, in this case sound won't work for the obvious reason. If you have a PCI-E x1 tuner it shouldn't be a problem.

war_child
10-29-07, 07:00 AM
One minus I can think of is when you have a tv tuner that needs to be connected to the soundcard, in this case sound won't work for the obvious reason. If you have a PCI-E x1 tuner it shouldn't be a problem.

I just bought one of these and found out it doesn't work with 64bit Vista only 32bit. I did plug them into a Windows XP system and was amazed by the sound. Not sure what your OS?

jeffmd
10-29-07, 09:20 AM
this does not disable the line in or the mic in on your sound card. it simply shows up as another sound device under your audio inputs.

I think a regular mic is always best though, no need for drivers, no need to worry about driver conflicts, and you can usually find a better quality mic then a usb-mic for the same amount of cash.