PDA

View Full Version : Valve Deactivating Gamers Who Bought Orange Box

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 03:28 PM
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=74&threadid=772041&start=480

This complaint is about Valve, a PC video game company which makes games like Half-Life 2. This effects many thousands of customers. They recently released a product called the "Orange Box", which is a bunch of games. All their products are activated online via unique serial numbers through the Steam service. Many of us bought the product (and hence, the serial numbers) legitimately online via well known international game stores, as they sell them significantly cheaper than American stores.

We were able to activate the products without a problem. One week later, Valve, via the Steam program, inactivated all Orange Box games (after they had already been active for some time), stating that they are in the "incorrect territory." There was no warning or anything, just completely inactivated. The thread that was started on www.valve.com has been removed by the operators there. I think this is absolutely reprehensible customer care. We paid for our products, and they just go and remove it without warning from our computers. Thanks -Todd

bugmeplz
10-25-07, 03:40 PM
In the age of software piracy, it is strange they would do this to paying customers (unless there is some logical explanation which I am unaware of). I wonder how many will become so ticked off they go pirate the game or go buy/trade for a steam account for a significantly reduced price on one of the cd key trading forums.

jeffmd
10-25-07, 03:41 PM
meh, sounds like some poor decisions to me. Putting regional locks on pc games is super rare. And I have heard of no such thing attached to valves software. IMO if they don't reactivate them soon, this will actually be a HUGE blow to their online game purchasing model. Whos going to buy their games through valve if they can take away the game without warning or good reason? Infact I prolly wouldnt buy HL3 online if they don't ensure tighter restrictions on what they can deactivate games for.

Tygerwoody
10-25-07, 03:43 PM
I wonder how many will become so ticked off they go pirate the game
None. I find it funny how people always bring this up.

If you are a low life dirtbag high schooler brat, you pirate software.

If you are an upstanding citizen who doesn't like to steal and believe people should be paid for their hard work, you don't.

Pirates don't come from "angry customers who spent good money on a game that does not work", they come from poor low life modern thieves of society.

If I were to go home right now and see valve locked my games, I would simply submit a ticket to them explaining the situation, like most would do. Piracy protection comes at a price. Nothing is perfect.

bugmeplz
10-25-07, 03:44 PM
meh, sounds like some poor decisions to me. Putting regional locks on pc games is super rare. And I have heard of no such thing attached to valves software. IMO if they don't reactivate them soon, this will actually be a HUGE blow to their online game purchasing model. Whos going to buy their games through valve if they can take away the game without warning or good reason? Infact I prolly wouldnt buy HL3 online if they don't ensure tighter restrictions on what they can deactivate games for.

Well AFAIK this need not be specific to online purchasing, although it may be in this case. In other words, they could just as easily ban a cd key from a retail purchased game as opposed to an online activation purchase.

Gaco
10-25-07, 03:44 PM
None. I find it funny how people always bring this up.

If you are an upstanding citizen who doesn't like to steal, you don't.

Pirates don't come from "angry customers who spent good money on a game that does not work", they come from poor low life modern thieves of society.
:thumbsup:

jeffmd
10-25-07, 03:46 PM
Well AFAIK this need not be specific to online purchasing, although it may be in this case. In other words, they could just as easily ban a cd key from a retail purchased game as opposed to an online activation purchase.

I can install the game and play without going online if I had a cd copy.

Tygerwoody
10-25-07, 03:55 PM
I guess this is what people get from trying to save $3 buying the "box" version. I buy 100% of my games on Steam for ZERO problems. :thumbsup:

Tygerwoody
10-25-07, 03:58 PM
Update on situation

My logic is simple.

Zest sold you Bad* Keys

Valve banned those Keys.

Zest owes you money not valve.

This company "Zest" is selling BAD KEYS. Of course Valve deactivated them. ZEST is the one people should be mad at. NOT The game developer Valve. I love it when people childishly jump to conclusions. "ZOMG i IZ goin TO Be Za PiRATz nOW!"!!!!

bugmeplz
10-25-07, 03:58 PM
:wtf:

alot of people are going to be really pissed off :headexplode:

"a lot"

ralinn
10-25-07, 03:59 PM
inactivated.

bugmeplz
10-25-07, 04:00 PM
I can install the game and play without going online if I had a cd copy.

For steam games you can? I thought even for single-player games you still had to register the cd key and be connected to the internet (and steam), but I am not sure - I don't play Valve games much.

Monolyth
10-25-07, 04:00 PM

:cry: less...(lee63) more...

bugmeplz
10-25-07, 04:02 PM
Update on situation

This company "Zest" is selling BAD KEYS. Of course Valve deactivated them. ZEST is the one people should be mad at. NOT The game developer Valve. I love it when people childishly jump to conclusions. "ZOMG i IZ goin TO Be Za PiRATz nOW!"!!!!

Please learn to control your emotions instead of coming off like a hyperactive toddler. Now, as I said, I could very well be unaware of a more logical answer to this, and sure enough it was there.

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 04:04 PM
Update on situation

according to who?

crainger
10-25-07, 04:24 PM
u r a douche

yu ar dush

LOL

Lfctony
10-25-07, 04:39 PM
Zest doesn't sell bad keys. All their keys are fine, legal and working. Take Call of Duty 2 for example. I have bought about 30-35 CoD 2 keys from them for a local clan, because we can't find the game in Cyprus anymore. The keys are fine.

People buy from them because the exchange rate for their currency makes the keys cheap. So Valve doesn't want to get only $15 for a game of theirs, they want people to pay the full $50, so they cancelled the keys of all people that got the game from Thailand but don't live there. People in Thailand didn't get their games locked.

Monolyth
10-25-07, 04:46 PM
Zest doesn't sell bad keys. All their keys are fine, legal and working. Take Call of Duty 2 for example. I have bought about 30-35 CoD 2 keys from them for a local clan, because we can't find the game in Cyprus anymore. The keys are fine.

People buy from them because the exchange rate for their currency makes the keys cheap. So Valve doesn't want to get only $15 for a game of theirs, they want people to pay the full $50, so they cancelled the keys of all people that got the game from Thailand but don't live there. People in Thailand didn't get their games locked.

Wasn't digital delivery supposed to save us money? Oh wait...that was CD's...oh wait that was cartridges...

>:-|

jcossin
10-25-07, 04:57 PM
Wasn't digital delivery supposed to save us money? Oh wait...that was CD's...oh wait that was cartridges...

>:-|

Totally! I find it a crock that Valve doesn't charge less on Steam, you know it's cheaper!!

nutcrackr
10-25-07, 04:59 PM
So that means if you buy retail orange box overseas and then install it back home it will be removed...thats pretty crap

Lfctony
10-25-07, 05:07 PM
So that means if you buy retail orange box overseas and then install it back home it will be removed...thats pretty crap

Ahhh, but I think it depends. How much did you pay for your key? ;)

nutcrackr
10-25-07, 05:10 PM
Ahhh, but I think it depends. How much did you pay for your key? ;)
$199 for portal, ep 2 was $300

but seriously I got it directly off steam so I don't think I'll have a problem but if people who make regular overseas trips buy a retail version and its locked to a certain region how can they fairly have their games removed? Its perplexing.

Lfctony
10-25-07, 05:12 PM
$199 for portal, ep 2 was $300

but seriously I got it directly off steam so I don't think I'll have a problem but if people who make regular overseas trips buy a retail version and its locked to a certain region how can they fairly have their games removed? Its perplexing.

So did I. I think Valve is looking for ways to make more money. As if they're not getting enough... :thumbdwn:

jeffmd
10-25-07, 05:16 PM
Aside from the fact that I have yet to see any crackers release a valid key generator that works for keys that are only verified online, from what I know this zest place is mearly one of a few online stores that obtain legit keys by opening boxed versions of the software. I can see how valve may not like such a practice as it eats into their profits, but afaik there is nothing illegal about it, and in the end they ARE LEGIT KEYS. They were legit keys as soon as zest bought the boxed software.

nekrosoft13
10-25-07, 05:48 PM
Aside from the fact that I have yet to see any crackers release a valid key generator that works for keys that are only verified online, from what I know this zest place is mearly one of a few online stores that obtain legit keys by opening boxed versions of the software. I can see how valve may not like such a practice as it eats into their profits, but afaik there is nothing illegal about it, and in the end they ARE LEGIT KEYS. They were legit keys as soon as zest bought the boxed software.

NO, ZEST prices are lower because THAT WHAT THE PRICES ARE IN THEIR COUNTRY.

I buy games from Poland, because prices are much lower as well.