PDA

View Full Version : Windows Activation silliness on the front page

AdamK47
10-25-07, 09:56 PM
I read what MikeC wrote on the front page, but it doesn't state if his copies of WinXP and Vista are retail or OEM. The OEM versions of both require activation after so many hardware changes. Retail versions allow you to upgrade and change hardware as much as you like without ever having to contact Microsoft.

Edit: After reading the Microsoft site it does mention that Vista Retail and OEM need reactivation after hardware changes. It's still different as to what and I'm not sure as to what that is.

evilghost
10-25-07, 10:00 PM
Do you have supporting evidence?

Q
10-25-07, 10:03 PM
I read what MikeC wrote on the front page, but it doesn't state if his copies of WinXP and Vista are retail or OEM. The OEM versions of both require activation after so many hardware changes. Retail versions allow you to upgrade and change hardware as much as you like without ever having to contact Microsoft.

I've never read this. I've always been under the impression that retail acted in the same way as OEM regarding activation. It doesn't make sense from an anti-piracy standpoint to do business any differently. If the retail versions didn't tie themselves to hardware, what would prevent people from sharing the key with all of their friends? This is exactly what Microsoft was hoping to prevent with requiring product activation.

AdamK47
10-25-07, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, I suppose after a substantial hardware change a reactivation is required for the retail version of Vista. The OEM activation is still different in terms of what you can and cannot do. I don't know what the differences are. If you do a search on google everyone seems to have a different answer.

einstein_314
10-26-07, 12:33 AM
I beg to differ. I have a full retail version of XP Pro and it makes me reactivate if I do a significant hardware change. I don't know about Vista, haven't made any changes to my hardware yet....

Dragunov
10-26-07, 07:23 AM
Once I updated the BIOS of my mainboard, forgot the disable onboard sound, so booted in Vista, told me to reactivate, rebooted, first turned of onboard sound, booted in Vista, was activated again ....

DRen72
10-26-07, 09:38 AM
Vista made me reactivate, and I had to call Microsoft to do it, after only 1 hard drive swap. Real PITA.

Absolution
10-26-07, 04:44 PM
Once I updated the BIOS of my mainboard, forgot the disable onboard sound, so booted in Vista, told me to reactivate, rebooted, first turned of onboard sound, booted in Vista, was activated again ....
ha, mine doesn't do that =/

ricercar
10-30-07, 12:20 AM
All consumer versions of Windows XP require re-activation after x hardware changes. X = degree, not quantity.

Corporate versions of Windows XP never require activation. I love my corporate versions.

methimpikehoses
10-30-07, 01:55 AM
I had to reactivate after a mobo change... but not for CPU/GPU/RAM/PSU changes.

crainger
10-30-07, 01:58 AM
I had to reactivate after repairing an internet connection.

I now just do /release /renew :o

but MS AU changed their system, no longer do you have to speak to some one. Just press a few numbers to confirm its only on one system. :) Great fun.

Dragunov
10-30-07, 03:05 PM
Still had to speak to a person cause it failed when I gave my numbers :rolleyes:

crainger
10-30-07, 03:53 PM
Still had to speak to a person cause I failed when I gave my numbers :rolleyes:

Fixed. :)

Rytr
10-30-07, 04:00 PM
With an OEM Vista version you are basically tied the motherboard you activate the OEM version on. I change components all the time without having to reactivate, I just cannot change motherboards. I have called MS but sofar in the US I have not been able to transfer an OEM copy to another motherboard. MS would not even sell me an activation key for the OEM copy so I could transfer to another board. They said maybe later...that was a month or so ago.

Yes, I can use it with another board but only for 30 days and then it de-activates. How do I know? I just got done trying it, 30 days were up today.

gmontem
10-30-07, 04:21 PM
Still had to speak to a person cause it failed when I gave my numbers :rolleyes:
You speak out the numbers or used your phone's keypad?

crainger
10-30-07, 07:55 PM
Knowing Dragunov he just mashed the keypad with his face. :p

I kid I kid.

einstein_314
10-30-07, 08:58 PM
You speak out the numbers or used your phone's keypad?
With WinXP you had to read them out. Don't know about Vista....but I'd assume it's the same?

crainger
10-30-07, 11:54 PM
With WinXP you had to read them out. Don't know about Vista....but I'd assume it's the same?

I always entered them on the keypad for XP, same for Vista. It depended on the operator I think. Sometimes the key would be passed through, sometimes it wasn't and they would ask again. Now when I call up I don't even have to speak to anyone. I just follow the prompts and press 1 or 2 to confirm it's a reinstall on the same PC.

methimpikehoses
10-31-07, 02:01 AM
With an OEM Vista version you are basically tied the motherboard you activate the OEM version on. I change components all the time without having to reactivate, I just cannot change motherboards. I have called MS but sofar in the US I have not been able to transfer an OEM copy to another motherboard. MS would not even sell me an activation key for the OEM copy so I could transfer to another board. They said maybe later...that was a month or so ago.

Yes, I can use it with another board but only for 30 days and then it de-activates. How do I know? I just got done trying it, 30 days were up today.

That's weird... mine is OEM and they let me transfer it... hopefully I'm not SOL in 15 days or whatever. Were you trying to run it on multiple boards?

AdamK47
10-31-07, 09:35 AM

That's odd. I've read on other forums that people who have changed motherboard were able to call MS to reactivate an OEM copy of Vista after telling them the OS wasn't installed on another PC.

CoSWill
11-01-07, 09:04 AM
Last night came home from work and my new memory from newegg had arrived. Put it in my pc and ran it for about 10 min when the (you have 3 days to activate windows) screen pops up. Running Vista and had not put any hardware in the machine since I installed the operating system. I tried to activate it online but it asked for a new code. I ended up having to talk to India to get it sorted. They asked how many computers I was running the O/S on and I told them just the one. He read off some numbers to me as I typed them in the boxes and it was activated.

One thing I noticed that I thought was odd is that it made me reactivate my microsoft games (Flight Simulator X) and (Halo 2). Microsoft Office 2007 didn't seem to require a new activation.

I usually install the latest drivers for my 8800 GTS/640 and that must have counted for different hardware. I am not sure how many times it lets you change hardware before you have to reactivate but I thought it was odd to have to do it with just memory upgrade. Oh well, it'll be pretty interesting when I put a new Motherboard, Processor, Ram and Video card in it next year :(