PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the EA Online Store?

Gaco
10-26-07, 10:05 AM
I love Steam and how it works in every aspect, but I'm a bit sceptical of using EA Store. Just as an example, Steam have no expiration that I know of and it kinda invites you to download your full games when ever you want to, but at the EA Store you actually have to pay 6$ to be able to download a game 2 years from the purchase; it's clearly more geared towards downloading the game once and burning it unto a CD.

Do you have any experience or opinion of this store? Thank :)

Mr_LoL
10-26-07, 11:35 AM
EA store is a mega rip off. Crysis costs 35 for a digital copy while its 25 at play.com for a physical copy. Lol.

backfiggen
10-26-07, 11:43 AM
EA store is a mega rip off. Crysis costs 35 for a digital copy while its 25 at play.com for a physical copy. Lol.
Agreed.
I preordered it for 38 (26) with a physical copy for my collection. It would cost 55 (38) over EA Link in Germany!

Mr_LoL
10-26-07, 12:04 PM
Agreed.
I preordered it for 38 (26) with a physical copy for my collection. It would cost 55 (38) over EA Link in Germany!
Shouldn't it be cheaper to get a digital copy anyway? Ea are thieves.

Zeus666
10-26-07, 01:04 PM
I dont know, but this guy know very well what he thinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPk9NftTSY

wysiwyg
10-26-07, 01:37 PM
i am very frustraded and cross

pre ordered crysis last night on the store

i got a order confirmation email but NO download link or key or anything

trying to get to my orders on the Electronic Arts BV site give me this=

Server error
We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser's back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action.

Error Number: PRC_000001

i keep getting one error or another on the site

this is just like the crap on Yahoo with the release of COD 4 or whatever it was again

so i have nothing atm grrrrrrr

i sent EA a customer support email at 8am and have no reply still

everyone that works for EA is a c*nt!!!!!

EDIT: just got my second email. just for the MP beta which i have had for a month now or however long it has been.

i bet they mis read my email at EA holland (they are the ones for europe) and thought i wanted the beta stupid cu***

wysiwyg
10-26-07, 02:32 PM
finally the demo appeared in the ea manager

no emails still though

rudedog
10-26-07, 03:00 PM
While I was actually thinking about pre ordering just for the SP demo I remembered who I was dealing with and glad I waited.

I have several calls in to people I know as well as customer service to find out how to back up your game data (files) just in case you want to reinstall after 6 month and don't want to pay the extra 6 bucks.

Still waiting, and no actual phone numbers, while I don't have a phone number for steam, I can still after close to two years download my games again from steam! That alone should be included in the price if they are going to charge full price for a game and not give you any actual media.

Tork64
10-26-07, 03:10 PM
I think its crap, most of the confusion could have been handled with a simple instruction telling its customer to REGISTER the code they sent you in the email, had i not seen a post on here i still wouldnt have been able to play the demo. Then there are those who still are unable to play, what more proof do you need that they screwed up royally. Ill stick to steam from now on.

Gaco
10-26-07, 03:36 PM
Ouch, that's sounds miles from the high Steam level of standards. I'll be glad to wait another day for the demo :)

crainger
10-26-07, 04:11 PM
I liked the EA Store back when it was EA Link. I could buy at US prices and it was basically the same as Steam. Now they have changed it to local AU prices and even worse, you only have 6 months to download a game before you have to pay a fee to reactivate it. Not so bad if you backup your cache I guess. Although I have a feeling each client upgrade renders the old cache usless. :(

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 04:14 PM
I bought BF2 euro forces through EA Link. That seemed to work fine though it was a bit of a pain trying to redownload it later on.

I found the installer hidden in the EA Link cache and backed it up last time.

Its really strange though, it doesn't even require a CD key or activation, it just installs like a mod. Seems like a really shoddy way to use digital distribution... not that I'm complaining, it just makes it easier on me later.

crainger
10-26-07, 04:30 PM
Problem is CaptN. EA Link is no more. It's EA Downloader. :( EA Link FTW! EA Downloader FTL!

PaiN
10-26-07, 04:34 PM
I wounldn't dl free Bianca Beauchamp pics from the EA Store :thumbdwn:

nutcrackr
10-26-07, 05:49 PM
I bought 2142 and Northern strike on EA Link as it was many months ago. After I got my new PC I wanted to play again, so I log in and find that I couldn't see anywhere to download my game again. I couldn't even find where the damn downloader was to download it again.

I ended up getting my old ea link version and backup from my old pc, installing that. It updated its stuff and recognized the game so all was good but I can't believe my stuff just wasn't there. This was not long after it launched though.

The other thing I don't like is how they have pricing in AUD, Crysis is $50 USD. But I have to buy it from the au site and thats $99 AUD for the download copy preorder. I can get the retail collectors edition for that price. It doesn't make any sense for me to go the download route there unlike steam who USD->AUD conversion loves me nicely.

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 05:53 PM
Problem is CaptN. EA Link is no more. It's EA Downloader. :( EA Link FTW! EA Downloader FTL!
Yeah I know. I was surprised that EA Link wasn't really that bad considering its EA. :p

I think I had to use EA Downloader to redownload Euro Forces some time during the summer.

I stay far away from that crap now though.