PDA

View Full Version : First Gaming PC build (Any Suggestions)

ryan29121
10-26-07, 10:31 AM
Alright im planning on building my first gaming pc and i was wondering if you had suggestions about these parts I selected. I plan on overclocking but not right away. Im planning on playing many of the new upcoming games (i.e crysis, hellgate, brothers in arms, etc.) My budget is right around $1500-$1800

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Parts as follows:

Gigabyte Aurora (case)

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX
(I heard it was a great overclocker)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W (Power Supply)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (CPU)

EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (GPU) (Might upgrade to GTX for an extra $200)

G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200.10

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA

Windows Vista Ultimate

Kain
10-26-07, 10:37 AM
I'd wait a bit and get the 8800 GT instead.

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 10:44 AM
Looks like a nice setup.

If you don't plan on going SLI (dual video cards) I'd recommend a P35 chipset motherboard over the 680i.

Also, make SURE you get 64bit Vista to take advantage of the 4gigs of RAM you bought. 32bit would only give you around 3gigs.

I agree with Kain too... at least wait a few days for some more 8800GT reviews. Right now, no one's quite sure what nvidia is doing but it looks to be a KILLER card for the money (512Mb version for around $250). It could possibly be faster than the GTS, but we have to wait and see.

If you do want to go SLI, it might be worth going with 2 8800GTs. That'd get you ridiculous performance for $500.

ryan29121
10-26-07, 10:49 AM
alright sounds good. I might even sacrifice 2gb of ram to save some money. I dont even think I will be able to use 4gb of ram currently. Maybe in about 6months, but then i could always easily upgrade.

Thanks again for your help.

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 12:09 PM
alright sounds good. I might even sacrifice 2gb of ram to save some money. I dont even think I will be able to use 4gb of ram currently. Maybe in about 6months, but then i could always easily upgrade.

Thanks again for your help.
If you really want to save some money, go with a Gigabyte P35 motherboard. You'll lose SLI, but you'll save a ton of money and headache by not trying to go with dual graphics cards. :p

The board would only be around $100. That'd save you more than enough to get some more ram.

The 680i boards aren't that great for overclocking or stability from what I've heard... I'd definitely stick with Intel if thats what you're looking for. Also, you'll need a better cooler if you're going to even attempt overclocking with that quad. They get pretty hot.

Also, IMO, Vista Home Premium x64 should be more than sufficient for anything you'll ever need. I have Ultimate because it was available (I'm an MS Technet member) but I wouldn't recommend spending the extra $60 to get it.

methimpikehoses
10-26-07, 12:48 PM
I'd wait a bit and get the 8800 GT instead.

Yes, or the newer version 8800GTS that is coming in a month.

And get a P35 or X38 mobo. With your budget, you should get the latest and greatest.

ryan29121
10-26-07, 01:08 PM
In the future I do plan on taking advantage of SLI just not at the moment. I figure i can buy either a 8800gts or gtx and a year down the road I can get one more for $100-200 less to increase frame rates. Will the P35 still be a better chipset or will it not be sufficient now because i plan on SLI?

CaptNKILL
10-26-07, 01:19 PM
In the future I do plan on taking advantage of SLI just not at the moment. I figure i can buy either a 8800gts or gtx and a year down the road I can get one more for $100-200 less to increase frame rates. Will the P35 still be a better chipset or will it not be sufficient now because i plan on SLI?
For what its worth, its usually a lot more cost effective to just sell your "old" card and get the best thing next year rather than try to find another 2 year old GTX or GTS just to have to deal with SLI's issues.

A lot of people have gone with SLI boards with plans to get a second card down the road, only to find out that the cards barely drop in price and the performance benefits over a similarly priced newer card are minimal.

DRen72
10-26-07, 01:51 PM
...A lot of people have gone with SLI boards with plans to get a second card down the road, only to find out that the cards barely drop in price and the performance benefits over a similarly priced newer card are minimal.Umm...that would be me. Thats why I'm going with an X38 board this time and avoiding SLi.