PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally bought a PS3

Pages : [1] 2

Namrok
10-26-07, 10:38 AM
I had the money to, I wanted perfect PS2 backwards compatibility before it was gone for good, and Bestbuy was offering the 60 gig for $500 with a free game (I chose Lair). Plus I'm going to mail away for 5 free blurays. Sounds good!

So I ordered it online with in store pickup. Still no emails yet, and it was a while ago, so I'm a tad worried, but hopefully before I leave work it'll be sorted out.

christos
10-26-07, 10:41 AM
Any particular reason for choosing Lair?

Namrok
10-26-07, 10:43 AM
It was Lair or Heavenly Sword.

Not much of a choice really. But Lair seemed more interesting.

christos
10-26-07, 10:47 AM
oh ok...I had thought you got to choose from any game, didn't realize it was limited.

If you're into platformers/shooters definitely pick up Ratchet and Clank as well.

Marvel_us
10-26-07, 10:56 AM
Sounds good. Let us know how everything works out. Let us know if you have any questions!

fizzelopeguss
10-26-07, 11:56 AM
Just ordered warhawk and folklore myself.

Namrok
10-26-07, 12:38 PM
Finally got the pick up email! 45 minutes my ass, that took 3 hours. Now I just have to suffer through work and pick it up :D

Tygerwoody
10-26-07, 12:40 PM
Grats on the purchase. :)

I still love playing NBA Live 08.

Namrok
10-26-07, 12:42 PM
Sports games have never been my cup of tea. Although I had wanted to get Fight Night Round 3 on the PS3.

Marvel_us
10-26-07, 12:47 PM
Unless there's a game you know you definitely want to play, I recommend renting a few first.

Now that I remember I have Ratchet and Clank to pick up. I probably should hold off on that since I have 3 exams next week.

Destroy
10-27-07, 09:46 AM
Yup, I couldn't wait any longer either. Prices are decent and several good games to play. 360 really didn't iinterest me much cause their stuff comes to Windows i.e. Gears of War

Love my PSP and PS3. :)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2995/img7786es8.th.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7786es8.jpg)

NaitoSan
10-27-07, 04:38 PM
my pc, 360 and ps3 are my best friends. soon, wii is going to join us. ;)

Namrok
10-30-07, 02:12 PM
Hahah, just like I expected, I'm mostly playing PS2 games on this. I aught to finally beat Rogue Galaxy in the next few days.

Now that I've had some time with it, there are a few little things that bug me. I'm not a fan of how it tries to change resolutions between the dash and games/demos/movies/whatever. Because that causes my TV to go and seek for a signal over the HDMI cable for a bit. Not a big deal, but obnoxious. Might be an HDMI only thing with my specific TV though, since my 360 has no trouble switching from 720P in the dash to 480P for a DVD.

I like the DVD upscaling. PS2 upscaling is hit or miss. If the game supports 480P then it looks a work better than the PS3s upscaling.

Lair is fun, but to be perfectly honest, I have no clue what I'm doing half the time. I can fly around ok, and fire, and lock on, and attack. But when you go into "pursuit mode" or whatever, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do then. It's odd. I finally read online that the way to get your multiplier up is to combo kills in rage mode. Would be nice if the tutorial explained the combat controls better.

The demos are good. Bladestorm, Ratchet & Clank and Folklore look great. Especially Folklore. But there are so many other games I'd like to get, I'll have to wait and see which of those I can fit in.

I updated netflix to send Bluray now, and just about all my movies are going to be sent in high def. Yay. I have all my bases covered between my HD DVD 360 addon and my PS3. Haven't gotten my hands on any bluray movies yet though. I should soon though, Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow is due to ship today.

Also, does anybody know if those new rumble controllers will rumble with PS2 games?

Namrok
10-30-07, 02:36 PM
Oh one other question. Is there any way to hook up the PS2 guitar hero controller to the PS3, and have it work with Guitar Hero 1? Any PS2 -> USB adapters which we know will accomplish the task?

Namrok
10-30-07, 03:02 PM
I've heard that Radio shack carries a PS2 to USB adapter for the controllers, but I've heard that it doesn't work for Guitar Hero 1 or 2 as well.

Lame. Oh well, maybe I'll take the money from selling GH1 and buy the DLC of it on the 360. They never did release all the songs though, did they?

Lyme
10-30-07, 06:28 PM
Nope, that was a HUGE complaint that people had about GH2 on the 360, that they didn't provide enough DLC. It may have had to do with Harmonix selling off the GH IP to Activision shortly after it was released.

I thought the complaint was that they charged too much for the DLC? And yet millions kept buying it.

Bman212121
10-30-07, 08:55 PM
I've heard that Radio shack carries a PS2 to USB adapter for the controllers, but I've heard that it doesn't work for Guitar Hero 1 or 2 as well.

I have that adapter, but I don't have GH to confirm that. As for the rumble, it should work fine because rumble was enabled in all games for the PS2 controller through one of the patches. I know that using a PS2 controller with the PS3 I can get rumble for any game that supports it. (Including PSX, PS2, PS3)

Amuro
10-31-07, 02:43 AM
I had the money to, I wanted perfect PS2 backwards compatibility before it was gone for good, and Bestbuy was offering the 60 gig for $500 with a free game (I chose Lair). Plus I'm going to mail away for 5 free blurays. Sounds good!

So I ordered it online with in store pickup. Still no emails yet, and it was a while ago, so I'm a tad worried, but hopefully before I leave work it'll be sorted out.
Wow, a PS3... and Liar?! Thought you said you might get it once you buy a PS3 for FFXIII and MGS4?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1316612#post1316612

Namrok
10-31-07, 08:38 AM
Wow, a PS3... and Liar?! Thought you said you might get it once you buy a PS3 for FFXIII and MGS4?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1316612#post1316612

Well, I didn't know they planned on gutting BC.

Destroy
10-31-07, 09:53 AM
Liking my PS3 pretty well so far but rather dissappointed in the graphics.

Heavenly Sword has simply horrible AF. :thumbdwn: Tried many other demos, can Darkness get any worse looking? Good god, how can they release a supposed 'next gen' game with coke bottle bottom textures, huge saw tooth jaggies and fuzzy AF that a bat could even see.

My fix? I simply turned the Sharpness ALL THE WAY DOWN on my tv. Makes the complete screen blurry in equal amounts. Beat having huge distracting eye sores throughout the screen.

Conan is a great game and am liking it much more than Heavenly Sword so far. HS throws too damn many enemies at you at once; no time to enjoy or practice the combos and fighting.

Will rent Lair soon, flight games aren't my thing but the people say its the best looking PS3 game to date so need to check it out.

Namrok
10-31-07, 09:58 AM
The graphics on the PS3 haven't bothered me. But then again, some TVs will really mess with the image. "Edge Enhancement" on mine made all the jaggies leap out at you pretty badly. Are lot of the settings that are meant to enhance movies simply ruin games. But then again, I also haven't tried any of the demos you talked about.

brady
10-31-07, 10:15 AM
Liking my PS3 pretty well so far but rather dissappointed in the graphics.

Heavenly Sword has simply horrible AF. :thumbdwn: Tried many other demos, can Darkness get any worse looking? Good god, how can they release a supposed 'next gen' game with coke bottle bottom textures, huge saw tooth jaggies and fuzzy AF that a bat could even see.

My fix? I simply turned the Sharpness ALL THE WAY DOWN on my tv. Makes the complete screen blurry in equal amounts. Beat having huge distracting eye sores throughout the screen.

Conan is a great game and am liking it much more than Heavenly Sword so far. HS throws too damn many enemies at you at once; no time to enjoy or practice the combos and fighting.

Will rent Lair soon, flight games aren't my thing but the people say its the best looking PS3 game to date so need to check it out.

I thought Heavenly Sword looked pretty good (demo). I bought my PS3 a few weeks ago as a blu ray player but with rumors of COD4 looking better on the PS3 I just might pick up a game for it.

npras42
10-31-07, 11:45 AM

If you're playing on a HDTV then its probably best to have the sharpness all the way down. i.e. Sharpness at zero is the normal no messing with the picture, and anything above zero is artificially adding sharpness.

I have the sharpness at zero on both of my HDTVs where the input I'm watching is HD. For the analogue OTA SDTV tranmissions I keep it up because it needs the added sharpness. Both my TVs are Sony LCDs but I know that the same is true of lots of other TVs including Hitachi and Panasonic plasmas.

Destroy
10-31-07, 12:23 PM
If you're playing on a HDTV then its probably best to have the sharpness all the way down. i.e. Sharpness at zero is the normal no messing with the picture, and anything above zero is artificially adding sharpness.

I have the sharpness at zero on both of my HDTVs where the input I'm watching is HD. For the analogue OTA SDTV tranmissions I keep it up because it needs the added sharpness. Both my TVs are Sony LCDs but I know that the same is true of lots of other TVs including Hitachi and Panasonic plasmas.

Yup, see sig. 1080p native here.

Seems totally whack to me. Why buy HD tv and have a HD console then have to totally lose all the sharpness by turning Sharpness off to get a tolerable image? They really need to start putting in, better textures, AF and AA into more of their titles.

Destroy
10-31-07, 12:26 PM
Whenever you think you're disappointed in the graphics, pop in a PS2 game to refresh your memory regarding last gen graphics ;)

LOL, yeah I did that 2 nights ago. You are right, PS3 is way better but when compared to my PC, its such a step downward again. :(

I was expecting crisp, sharp and clear from a HD gaming setup but that just isn't happening yet.