PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Ninjaman09
10-26-07, 09:57 AM
Just to let you guys know, any big Castlevania fans out there will love this game. I bought a PSP for the Final Fantasy Tactics remake and this - and it was well worth it. The Rondo of Blood remake is fantastic and really faithful to the original game. Don't expect too much new stuff, but there is one stage that was completely redone and the 7th stage has been slightly redesigned - and they added a couple of twists toward the end as well as a proper final boss fight. The voice acting is very good and visually the game holds up well to other PSP titles. This game is still Rondo of Blood however and those of you who are familiar with it will definitely know your way around. :)

The emulated original version of Rondo is absolutely perfect with new English voice acted anime scenes which are astonishingly high quality. The VAs so closely emulated the performances of the original Japanese cast that I almost mistook them for each other several times. Contrary to an absolutely moronic 1-UP review I read, the emulation is seamless and the game looks great. There is a bit of LCD-blurring but it doesn't detract from the game at all, and if you have a new slim PSP you can get video-out cables to play it on your TV anyway!

The Symphony of the Night port (which tragically is more of a major selling point for this package than Rondo) is top-notch as well. Many fans of the original voice actors (in all their cheesy goodness) might be shocked at first to find that Alucard no longer sounds like an 8-foot tall black man. His new voice is very fitting though and I prefer it to the old. The dialogue is not drastically different from the original but it is noticeably more polished. The game runs flawlessly and looks great, and for some reason does not suffer from the LCD ghosting as much as Rondo. I haven't unlocked Maria yet so I can't comment on that. I've spent most of my time on the Rondo remake. :D

If you are a Castlevania fan (especially of the pre-Symphony platformers), this game is a must-own. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has a PSP but warn that although Rondo is actually a fairly easy game, it takes some time to learn the boss encounters and stages, offering you plenty of frustration in the meantime. But the wonderful thing about Rondo is that there are so many secrets and nuances to it that you can play it over and over again without getting tired of it and it's very rewarding to effortlessly breeze through a level that used to give you a ton of trouble. Bottom line - buy this game!

Moo
10-26-07, 08:45 PM
The Castlevania's on the Nintendo GBA + DS have been quite nice also... (nana2)

... but nothing beats the fond memories of Super Castlevania IV on SNES!

Moo
10-27-07, 01:28 PM
kevpla/nightmare beta is probably playing this game as you read this thread, regardless of the actual time.

:wtf: :o

NaitoSan
10-27-07, 07:28 PM
He used to make post after post about Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. He was obsessed with 2D games like that, so I always imagine him playing such games and complaining about the ZBuffer at the same time.
Haha I remember that. So true. :o I don't think he even have PSP.