PDA

View Full Version : 8800 gtx vs 2 x 8800 gt

Pages : [1] 2

24inchGamer
10-26-07, 01:04 PM
Some advice please guys, I have a 8800 gtx. Do i sell now and buy 2 GT's?
Big performace difference? Benefits? Is it worth it?

also on a side note, can anyone point me in the right direction of a overclocking guide for a noob. I have an E6600 cpu

Thanks in advance!

ryan29121
10-26-07, 01:18 PM
I would stick with the GTX and just get another one in SLI. It would cost about the same and be alot better than 2 GTs. The GT is suppose to be the lower model of the 8800 family and the GTX is one of the best.
8800 family= GT>GTS(new one)>GTX>Ultra

I found a really good guide earlier. I found it to be great help.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

24inchGamer
10-26-07, 01:26 PM
I would stick with the GTX and just get another one in SLI. It would cost about the same and be alot better than 2 GTs. The GT is suppose to be the lower model of the 8800 family and the GTX is one of the best.

Thanks for your advice. Quick question, if I stick with my GTX and purchase another for SLI would I notice a big improvement. Im running a c2d extreme, 2gb dominator and a 1920X1280 res.
Would all games be able to utilise one card?
Thanks again

Nkd
10-26-07, 11:48 PM
if it was me I would sure get two gt's, you know why? because selling a gtx and getting your money worth is only going to happen now, a few months before the next high end launch, I am selling both of my ultra's, and getting two gt's and saving myself 500 bucks. and when the next high end launches I would still be able to get 200 bucks for the 8800gt and 400 for two back.

why would someone think that 8800gt sli wont be worth it is out of my league, this thing already performs pretty close to gtx and two in sli will perform a lot better. from a financial point of view it would make perfect sense for you to sell your gtx now instead of getting another gtx when the next gen launch is only few months away.

I have already seen 3dmark06 score for 8800gt sli and its 18k on stock clocks with quad core running at 3.5 in vr-zone.com forums. Please do yourself a favor dont purchase another gtx at this stage you will regret it totally when the next gen is only few months away.

500 for 2 gt's is > 500 for one gtx. you will get probably 40+50% boost over single gtx. you dont have to believe me, just wait until the reviews come out on monday or tuesday. they will probably have some sli reviews. someone telling you to buy another gtx at this time of the year is not the best suggestion.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-27-07, 12:07 AM
Is the GT the one with the 256-bit bus? I wouldn't get it, only 512mb ain't it?

Even in comparison with the two GTs, I would still go with another GTX for SLI, you'll get better performance and it will last you longer.

I don't really care about selling my video cards off, they usually end up being moved into another computer.

Nkd
10-27-07, 12:31 AM
well all I am considering is the price, 500 for 2 gt's is nothing and you will get way more performance than a single gtx, and probably close to 80% of 8800gtx sli, since 8800gt is probably 80% performance of the gtx. but it a sweet deal for 500 for two, than spending another 500+ on the gtx and ofcourse you will get more performance than 2 gt's but you will certainly get more performance than a single gtx.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-27-07, 12:38 AM
thats probably true until you begin to run shader intensive, memory hungry higher resolution games. Even in SLI I think the cards would be starved for bandwidth pretty soon in the near future.

jolle
10-27-07, 12:46 AM
Even in SLI I think the cards would be starved for bandwidth pretty soon in the near future.
SLI doesnt do much for bandwidth tho, right?

sammy sung
10-27-07, 03:55 AM
thats probably true until you begin to run shader intensive, memory hungry higher resolution games. Even in SLI I think the cards would be starved for bandwidth pretty soon in the near future.

The GT has a higher shaderclock than the GTX,one of the reasons why its keeping up with it pretty well.

24inchGamer
10-27-07, 07:01 AM
if it was me I would sure get two gt's, you know why? because selling a gtx and getting your money worth is only going to happen now, a few months before the next high end launch, I am selling both of my ultra's, and getting two gt's and saving myself 500 bucks. and when the next high end launches I would still be able to get 200 bucks for the 8800gt and 400 for two back.

why would someone think that 8800gt sli wont be worth it is out of my league, this thing already performs pretty close to gtx and two in sli will perform a lot better. from a financial point of view it would make perfect sense for you to sell your gtx now instead of getting another gtx when the next gen launch is only few months away.

I have already seen 3dmark06 score for 8800gt sli and its 18k on stock clocks with quad core running at 3.5 in vr-zone.com forums. Please do yourself a favor dont purchase another gtx at this stage you will regret it totally when the next gen is only few months away.

500 for 2 gt's is > 500 for one gtx. you will get probably 40+50% boost over single gtx. you dont have to believe me, just wait until the reviews come out on monday or tuesday. they will probably have some sli reviews. someone telling you to buy another gtx at this time of the year is not the best suggestion.
I think thats a valid point, if I can get more performance out of 2 gt's than 1 gtx and I dont have to spen any cash then why not. All im concerned about is can all games make use of sli? will some only utilise one card or do they just see the 2 as one? is the 8800gt 512mb? so it would be 1gb with 2 over my 768mb on one gtx right?

Mr. Nice
10-27-07, 07:10 AM
is the 8800gt 512mb? so it would be 1gb with 2 over my 768mb on one gtx right?Sadly it doesn't quite work that way, in SLI the cards still can't share texture memory.

24inchGamer
10-27-07, 07:12 AM
Sadly it doesn't quite work that way, in SLI the cards still can't share texture memory.
So in this instance it would be a downgrade from a gtx.. but overall performance is a significant upgrade?

DenXP
10-27-07, 07:51 AM
So in this instance it would be a downgrade from a gtx.. but overall performance is a significant upgrade?

gt only have 512 mb ram, for dx10+ 1080p +4xfsaa in crysis, this is not enough! sli doesnt mean u have 1g ram, u still consider as 512 ram!
anyway, 512mb gt should perform better than gtx 768mb in this extreme condition , but the question is how big the difference between them due to the limited memory size 512mb in gt?
8800gtx sli should be a god-performer and wont make u disappoint but expensive!

24inchGamer
10-27-07, 07:52 AM
gt only have 512 mb ram, for dx10+ 1080p +4xfsaa in crysis, this is not enough! sli doesnt mean u have 1g ram, u still consider as 512 ram!
anyway, 512mb gt should perform better than gtx 768mb in this extreme condition , but the question is how big the difference between them due to the limited memory size 512mb in gt?
8800gtx sli should be a god-performer and wont make u disappoint but expensive!
but surely for crysis 2x gt's will be better than 1 x gtx

cefurkan
10-27-07, 04:55 PM
8800gtx will be crushed by 8800gt @ 800/2200 mhz

i am pretty sure

Nkd
10-27-07, 05:20 PM
all I know is for the money 2 gt's will hands down beat the single gtx and give you more performance, gt is neck to neck with the gtx, go look at the tweak town review, adding the second card is going to be only helpful, hey you can always return them with in 30days lol. GOD BLESS AMERICA. for the money it cant be beat and yo can easily sell them when the next gen comes out, while it would be hard for you to sell gtx and get your money's worth, unless you are going to shift your card to another computer, which I dont, because no one at my house games other than me, so I always end up selling my cards. lol

as far as all games taking advantage of sli is same for gt and gtx, if a game doenst work with gt it wont work with gtx, because it all depends on if nvidia has a game profile, and yes crysis would give you sli, and nvidia is really on top of things when implementing sli in to games. where ati takes months before it happens.

mythy
10-27-07, 07:47 PM

Ok, WTF are you one about? I just sold my GTX for $450 and thats $50 dollars more then I paid for it. For $500 you can grab 2 GT's :rolleyes: So he can spend $50 for 2 GT's or $500 for a GTX wtf is going threw your head when you gave him that recommendation?

As far as SLI goes you will pay 2Xas much for 1.4X as much performance Its up to you to decided if its worth it. I'd say no...

Edit: I'm going to get a damn aneurysm from all this correcting I have to do :D

Please do yourself a favor dont purchase another gtx at this stage you will regret it totally when the next gen is only few months away.

Ahhh... commonsense!

Nkd
10-28-07, 12:22 AM
thanks man, that was my whole point too, why would you tell a guy to buy another gtx at this stage, when he can get two gt's for the same price and enjoy better performance and not spend any money, that's a +++++. lol. I wouldn't buy another gtx at this stage, thats why I already sold both of my ultra's for 1050 about the same price I got them for on ebay, and I can get a gt for 2-3 months and overclock it and than jump on to the next gen single card with the saved money, and be happy for another year.

nrdstrm
10-28-07, 12:49 AM
Personally, I am keeping my GTX. It is close enough in performance to 2 GT's, and I'll keep it till a new "king of the hill" high end card comes out. There is a difference though, I'm not really looking to sell my GTX and recoup the money and buy a better card. Most likely, this card (GTX) will go to my buddy for a hundred or 2. I'm not made of money by any means, but graphics are important to me so I splurge when I have to. I'm happy enough with my GTX until early next year...

giverz
10-28-07, 07:43 AM
well 2x8800GT will about 1.5x as fast as a single GTX and will cost you about $50 more if you sell your GTX right now. but of course two GTX cards in SLI will be faster than SLI 8800GT, but it will also cost you twice as much for only about 15% increase in performance. not worth the extra $450-$500 IMO. :)

24inchGamer
10-28-07, 07:54 AM
Well ive done it, my 8800 gtx is on ebay, how much do you guys rekon ill get for it (uk gbp) and is the 8800 gt supposidly out tomorrow? Price in uk gbp?

Crysis runs like balls on my current setup, do you think I will see much improvement with 2 x 8800 gt's? I cant beleive crytek pushed the 'built for 8800gtx' so much.. it clearly isnt. It seems like its built for hardware that doesnt even exist!

giverz
10-28-07, 08:09 AM
well a quick look on ebay shows people are still willing to pay almost $500 for a GTX. so depending on what condition yours is in and if it has box etc..you can expect around that much for it. and yes crysis will run faster, but dont expect a miracle.

mythy
10-28-07, 11:40 AM
24 INCH

Crysis will be a bit slower for you! ;) SLI is not yet working properly...And when it does work expect 5 more fps on high and a sad look on your face ;)

24inchGamer
10-28-07, 11:48 AM
24 INCH

Crysis will be a bit slower for you! ;) SLI is not yet working properly...And when it does work expect 5 more fps on high and a sad look on your face ;)
5 more fps will get me to 30 so thats fine by me :) I actually fond that running dx10 and putting everything on high had a higher framerate than certain things on medium in dx9. very confused.

mythy
10-28-07, 11:57 AM
DX10 has optimizations. Normally you never experience the performance gain because game developers add more effects as well.