PDA

View Full Version : StreaMyGame.com - Remotely play demanding games on crap hardware

Pages : [1] 2

brady
10-27-07, 01:56 AM
StreamMyGames.com (www.streammygames.com)

Streamer enables a game installed on one computer to be played on another. The installed game might be on your main PC which has a hardware specification capable of playing a game. Streamer enables you to view and play the game on a lower spec PC or laptop that does not have the required hardware specification or the game installed.

A member logs into our website and shares a games which is installed on their main PC. They then log into our website from their second PC and selects their own Game Stream link. The main PC begins to stream the game over the home network and the game is viewed on the second PC.

Streamer captures the keyboard commands on the second PC and sends them back to the main PC where they are used to control the game.

They can now view and play the game on the second PC. The gameplay is highly responsive providing an almost identical experience as playing the game on the main PC.

Games can be streamed over wired 10Mbs, 100Mbs and 1Gbs networks, wireless networks and Homeplug (networking over mains) and any other standard home network.
The inherent speed of home networks enables game to be streamed at very high resolutions from mobile 320x240 QVGA all the way up to feature film 3200x2400 QUXGA.

I just tried it out and was able to play COD4 on my gateway laptop which could never play the game itself. I was streaming the game from my A64x2 rig with a 7600GT. I had the laptop on the desk so I could see both screens and I could not detect any lag in movement.

The basic service only lets you stream at 640x480. The paid services let you stream at HD+ resolutions. I'm curious as to how streaming at those higher resolutions will affect game performance.

Also if you happen to have dual 8800GTX's and a quad intel machine and won't be using your PC at all tomorrow maybe you could let me play some of your games ;)

MowTin
10-27-07, 02:24 AM
I just tried it out and was able to play COD4 on my gateway laptop which could never play the game itself. I was streaming the game from my A64x2 rig with a 7600GT. I had the laptop on the desk so I could see both screens and I could not detect any lag in movement.

Hmm...I wonder if I can connect my laptop to my hdtv and stream the game from hy gaming pc? I'm skeptical but that would really be cool.

Misfire
10-27-07, 03:19 AM
the link is broke

CaptNKILL
10-27-07, 03:45 AM
Wait... so it connects to their server and then streams from one PC to another inside your home network?

Doesn't that create some sort of security issues?

Why does it need to go through their server if the game is being streamed over your home network?

mojoman0
10-27-07, 03:49 AM
www.streammygame.com

brady
10-27-07, 09:15 AM
Wait... so it connects to their server and then streams from one PC to another inside your home network?

Doesn't that create some sort of security issues?

Why does it need to go through their server if the game is being streamed over your home network?

Not exactly sure. They claim it's secure. I does seem like this could open up huge security issues. Especially since they claim that before december they are going to allow the streaming of games and apps through broadband and not just over a home network.

They also claim that a linux installation is on it's way before december and claim that if you have linux installed on the PS3 you'll be able to stream play games from your PC to PS3. That sounds a little crazy but maybe then I'll be able to play some decent games on my PS3...couldn't resist.

I'm tempted to buy into the unlimited package. I've got a P4 3ghz, 6800GT rig hooked up to my HDTV and I use it to play a few PC games but there are some that just don't run well on that hardware but I don't want to move my other rig into the living room...With this I don't have to.

I'm still curious about the performance of generating and streaming HD resolution streams.

LycosV
10-27-07, 09:32 AM
I mirror the Captains complaints on using their server as a go between. Not only is it a security risk but it could cause bandwidth problems as well.

From the standpoint of high-res gaming, it's just not possible with current bandwidth. Lets' take 1600x1200.

1,600x1,200=1,920,000 pixels x 32bits of color per pixel = 61,440,000 bits of data that must be displayed every frame.
Divide this by 8 (to determine bytes instead of bits) and we get 7,680,000 so 7.68 Mega BYTES of data for every frame.
Multiply that by a playable framerate and you're far beyond the confines of availible bandwidth from ANY network connection.

By the time we have network connections possible to stream our current "HD" resolutions with 32bit color we'll be so far in the future we'll probably be using 256bit colors just for the heck of it. :)

brady
10-27-07, 09:46 AM
I mirror the Captains complaints on using their server as a go between. Not only is it a security risk but it could cause bandwidth problems as well.

From the standpoint of high-res gaming, it's just not possible with current bandwidth. Lets' take 1600x1200.

1,600x1,200=1,920,000 pixels x 32bits of color per pixel = 61,440,000 bits of data that must be displayed every frame.
Divide this by 8 (to determine bytes instead of bits) and we get 7,680,000 so 7.68 Mega BYTES of data for every frame.
Multiply that by a playable framerate and you're far beyond the confines of availible bandwidth from ANY network connection.

By the time we have network connections possible to stream our current "HD" resolutions with 32bit color we'll be so far in the future we'll probably be using 256bit colors just for the heck of it. :)

I'm not up on all the technical details of the various audio/video compression formats but I suspect that what you just wrote above does not exactly reflect the amount of data that is passed along in an mp4 stream at that resolution.

I don't know how the mp4 is being created so quickly so that there is no noticable lag between machines but essentially you are just watching an mp4 movie on the remote machine that just happens to be a product of your control movements which are sent to the serving PC.

If I plunk down the 20 bucks for the unlimited version I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Thinking about it, even though I don't know the exact bitrates for mp4, I think it's clear that bandwidth is not going to be the issue over wired home network. I can already stream 720p video through my network with a lot of room to spare. I think the real issue is just demanding it will be for the serving PC to create the video/audio streams at the higher resolutions and maintain a playable framerate at those resolutions.

lumpyhed
10-27-07, 10:51 AM
If its anything like hamachi, you'll log into their network but stuff that is local wont go past your router.

Banko
10-27-07, 01:23 PM
Mother ****ers stole my idea I came up with something exactly like this like 4 years ago..

crainger
10-27-07, 05:26 PM
Mother ****ers stole my idea I came up with something exactly like this like 4 years ago..

LOL

LycosV
10-27-07, 06:03 PM
I'm not up on all the technical details of the various audio/video compression formats but I suspect that what you just wrote above does not exactly reflect the amount of data that is passed along in an mp4 stream at that resolution.

I don't know how the mp4 is being created so quickly so that there is no noticable lag between machines but essentially you are just watching an mp4 movie on the remote machine that just happens to be a product of your control movements which are sent to the serving PC.

If I plunk down the 20 bucks for the unlimited version I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Thinking about it, even though I don't know the exact bitrates for mp4, I think it's clear that bandwidth is not going to be the issue over wired home network. I can already stream 720p video through my network with a lot of room to spare. I think the real issue is just demanding it will be for the serving PC to create the video/audio streams at the higher resolutions and maintain a playable framerate at those resolutions.

I don't think you'll be able to compress High-res video, transfer it over the network, and decompress it, in realtime. There's gonna be some serious input lag in that situation. Not to mention degraded image quality which begins to bring into question the whole point of running it in high res.

CaptNKILL
10-28-07, 06:51 PM
Wow! This is amazing! :eek:

I just downloaded the free version and after a lot of tweaking (couldn't get it to work in Vista, had to boot to XP to run the server properly) I was playing STALKER on my Atari ITX system with a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 and 8Mb Intel Extreme video. :D

It was a little glitchy though.

On my sister's computer it worked flawlessly though. Its an Athlon XP at 2Ghz with a 9600 Pro.

Its so playable! No mouse lag at all! I don't know how they do it! Its probably running at around 30fps... I wish I could tweak the framerate, but hell, its amazing being able to play a cutting edge game at 640x480 (with perfect FREE anti-aliasing from the video scaling) at 30fps solid on an old computer.

I'm thinking of getting the paypal 1 year license. Its only $9.99 and I'll be able to run at 1280x720. I'd get the unlimited, but I don't know how well streaming super high res video would work on any of my slower systems, not to mention it'd have to put a lot of load on my main rig.

I really don't know what I'd realistically use this for though. I don't have a laptop right now so I don't think it'd do me a lot of good. Its just so damned cool! Probably the most interesting thing I've seen on a PC in years.

Bman212121
10-28-07, 07:10 PM
Kewl, I'd thought about doing this using VNC or RDP from one box to another, but you can't do it in full screen. Even VNC is pretty choppy. I'm definitely going to give this a ago.

SH64
10-28-07, 07:11 PM
Ok so what exactly do i need now to run say StALKER from my 133t PC to play it into my sh!!ty laptop ?

Bman212121
10-28-07, 07:19 PM
http://www.streammygame.com/smg/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=new_user

I'm guessing that. Going to dl and test.

SH64
10-28-07, 07:24 PM
I mean what kind of connection do i need to stream my games properly ?

CaptNKILL
10-28-07, 08:35 PM
I mean what kind of connection do i need to stream my games properly ?
It goes through LAN, unless you buy one of the full versions, then you can do it with broadband, but it takes quite a bit of upstream bandwidth.

I think 256kbit upstream is the minimum for a 320x240 stream. Obviously you'll need quite a bit more for a decent resolution.

On LAN it doesn't really matter though. You'll never come near 100Mbit, let alone gigabit.

Bman212121
10-28-07, 11:50 PM
Here is their table for internet connections.

13. Broadband Network Requirements

Most broadband networks have a far greater Downlink speed than Uplink. When streaming a game over broadband, the Uplink speed determines the maximum resolution that can be streamed.

The following table shows what is typically achieved over broadband networks.

Broadband Uplink Bandwidth Game Stream Video Resolution
256Kbs 320x240
512Kbs 400x300
1Mbs 640x480
2Mbs 800x600
4Mbs 1024x768
8Mbs HDTV 720p
10Mbs HDTV 1080p
100Mbs 3200x2400 Film quality

So it's going to be really intensive for your broadband to run it. You would be lucky to stream 640 x 480 on most connections. In a few years though this might become a reality, but I'd really be interested in how bad the latency would cause issues.

Atomizer
10-29-07, 03:14 AM
Ive thought of this before aswell, but not just for gaming, the software runs on a server and is streamed to a dumb terminal, which has nothing but streaming software running on it.
The only thing is, it serves no practical purpose beyond the novalty of running a game on a system that normally couldnt handle it.
I mean, we are a long way from having games on servers with several people streaming from it at the same time, even ignoring bandwidth issues.

brady
10-29-07, 09:50 AM
Ive thought of this before aswell, but not just for gaming, the software runs on a server and is streamed to a dumb terminal, which has nothing but streaming software running on it.
The only thing is, it serves no practical purpose beyond the novalty of running a game on a system that normally couldnt handle it.
I mean, we are a long way from having games on servers with several people streaming from it at the same time, even ignoring bandwidth issues.

I think it has some practical purpose. For example, my main rig is in our office and I have a second PC hooked to my LCD HDTV. Every once in a while I like to play some games on that PC but with a P4 and a 6800GT it's quickly becoming more and more difficult to run the latest games on it. Instead of moving my office PC into the living room I could now just stream the games from my more capable office PC to the living room.

I still have not bought the unlimited version so I don't know how well streaming higher resolutions works. I'm glad somebody else tried it out and was able to see that there is no noticable mouse lag. It really is very impressive!

evilghost
10-29-07, 10:06 AM
Reminds me of forwarded X sessions, very powerful, I like this idea. Funny how we're moving back towards a dumb-terminal/server computing model instead of distributed computing.

CaptNKILL
10-30-07, 01:17 PM
I wonder if this would work well with console emulators that allow multiple players on the same system.

You could just have it running on Streamer and have player 1 on the server system and the other person using the player 2 controls on another system.

I bet that'd work really well. :thumbsup:

Bman212121
10-31-07, 07:48 PM
All I'm getting is graphical corruption on my laptop. Both pcs are connected via the same switch on a lan. Lappy is a Pentium M 1.8Ghz, 1GB ram, and a go5200. Going to see if there are some other drivers for this card.

XDanger
11-01-07, 04:38 PM
Will I be able to play Crysis on my PSP using LFP?