PDA

View Full Version : Is Vampire: The Masquerade worth buying today?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gaco
10-27-07, 03:18 PM
I never got around buying or playing those game for several reasons. Now apparently because of halloween this game is for sale for 10$ only on Steam, that's 10$ discount. I'm a bit tempted to take up this offer, but would it stand the test of time? Do you guys reckon it would be interesting to play today?

CaptNKILL
10-27-07, 03:22 PM
Definitely.

Its an excellent game if you like FPS\RPG hybrids. It plays very much like an RPG because it relies heavily on your stats but if you're good at shooters that will help you out in combat.

Very nice mixture.

If you like Deus Ex, you'll like Vampire Bloodlines.

There are a couple unofficial patches out there two. One revamps most of the game (supposedly for balance purposes) and fixes bugs, the other patch just fixes bugs.

Gaco
10-27-07, 03:27 PM
Definitely.

Its an excellent game if you like FPS\RPG hybrids. It plays very much like an RPG because it relies heavily on your stats but if you're good at shooters that will help you out in combat.

Very nice mixture.

If you like Deus Ex, you'll like Vampire Bloodlines.

There are a couple unofficial patches out there two. One revamps most of the game (supposedly for balance purposes) and fixes bugs, the other patch just fixes bugs.
I do love Deus Ex, but don't even compare the two, it'll give me too high expectations (Deus Ex was THE game) :D

Hmm unofficial patches you say.. I know that buying it through Steam will give me the latest version instantly, perhaps the newest official version is adequately good? Or do you fowardly recommend these unofficials?

crainger
10-27-07, 04:22 PM
The latest official wont do. The developer closed down not long after it's release and the last patch was 1.2 and there are still a lot of bug in it. You really need the unofficial patches IMHO. Problem is the guy who makes them is starting to go a little overboard and changing the game to how he wants, not just fixing rewards, conversations and missing weapons. (Another reason to get the unofficial patch, the official 1.2 still has the crossbow broken, the unofficial patch puts it in as a usuable weapon.)

Ambrose
10-27-07, 04:28 PM
Played it and loved it. It's worth trying out for the dialogs alone. Some of the characters are really great! And as far as narratives go, this one is top notch. In all honesty, I wasn't really impressed by the combat (it was just to clumsy and twitch based) but I kept playing anyway because the story was excellent. The game forces you to make decisions, which will have dramatic outcomes as to how the game ends. And you'll definitely have a blast meeting all the strange ans interesting characters.

Oh and when I played it, it looked pretty damn good (even better than Half-Life 2 in many respects), especially the underground segments. ;)

crainger
10-27-07, 04:34 PM
I recommend playing it at least twice. Make sure at least once is as a Malkavian. They have the best responses and it's quite funny to have a conversation with a stop sign. :D

Gaco
10-27-07, 04:43 PM
But guys be sure to recommend it seeing how it would fare TODAY, not just based on your nostalgic memories of how good you thought it was BACK THEN :)

nekrosoft13
10-27-07, 05:00 PM
shut up, and go buy it right now!

Mike89
10-27-07, 05:08 PM
Two words:

HELL YEAH! ! !

I still play this game and I've had it since it first came out. If you get it, I strongly suggest you install the official 1.2 patch and then Wesp's latest unofficial patch (right now it's 4.2).

As far as getting it through Steam. I would think the official 1.2 patch would already be in it. If it is, still put in the unofficial patch, it will have no effect regarding Steam. If the Steam version does not come with the official 1.2 patch, put it in and then the unofficial one (the unofficial patch has to be put in after the 1.2 official one). It definitely improves the game as the game was basically released with some bugs (and dialog inconsistencies) and these patches help. The unofficial patch is very easy to install. It comes in a zip. Just extract all files from it to the Vampire Bloodlines folder and that's it (when it asks to over write, choose yes to all).

The official 1.2 patch is here;

http://files.filefront.com/Vampire+Bloodlines+v12+Patch/;3771733;/fileinfo.html

The unofficial 4.2 patch is here

http://files.filefront.com/Vampire+The+Masquerade+Bloodlines+v42+Patch/;8593045;/fileinfo.html

nutcrackr
10-27-07, 05:36 PM
Yeah its worth getting, user made patches made it playable for me but still left it somewhat buggy.

CaptNKILL
10-27-07, 05:41 PM
Hmm... you might want to make sure the unofficial patches will work with the Steam version first.

Its very buggy with just the official patches, if thats the only way you can play it with Steam then I'd recommend picking up a copy elsewhere so you can patch it up properly.

crainger
10-27-07, 05:45 PM
But guys be sure to recommend it seeing how it would fare TODAY, not just based on your nostalgic memories of how good you thought it was BACK THEN :)

Buy it if only to play the Ocean Hotel level. It is still considered to be the best level in a FPS ever. I recommend playing through at night, lights off. Make sure you have a change of underwear. I'm serious. That level will **** you up. :D

Gaco
10-27-07, 05:52 PM
Apparently someone form the rage3d boards got the same idea some time ago when the game was just put up on steam for 20$:

Did anyone else notice? Bloodlines is now available on Steam for $19.95. My question is will it work with all the unofficial patches....
- http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33888862

He never got his answer though...

When my personal hype of Crysis has lowered considerably and I will actually consider playing other games again, I think I'm gonna buy Vampire :)

I'll let you know how the unofficial Vampire patches works out with steam by then..

crainger
10-27-07, 06:34 PM
They should work unless Steam verifies the files constantly and wants to re download the changed files.

Good Luck, take it easy the first time you meet Jeanette. I know I didn't :D

Gaco
10-27-07, 06:37 PM
They should work unless Steam verifies the files constantly and wants to re download the changed files.

Good Luck, take it easy the first time you meet Jeanette. I know I didn't :D
Scary or wank-imposing? :p

Look what you all made me do, I just bought Vampire on Steam and is now downloading ;)

crainger
10-27-07, 06:39 PM
:D

Here is a little test to help you decide which clan might be more for you for your first play though. http://www.geocities.com/padfootmk/vampire.html

I'm Gangrel. :D

Gaco
10-27-07, 06:54 PM
:D

Here is a little test to help you decide which clan might be more for you for your first play though. http://www.geocities.com/padfootmk/vampire.html

I'm Gangrel. :D
Tremere clan for me whatever that is :)

arioch21
10-27-07, 07:06 PM
let me know if the patches work, I had the game before but lost the cd's when I moved, I enjoyed it at the time though, just never got to finish it. Saw it on sale and actually thought of buying it too.

Mike89
10-28-07, 12:07 AM
Hmm... you might want to make sure the unofficial patches will work with the Steam version first.

The unofficial patches do work with Steam. My daughter has it and it's verified. It's not changing anything in the game (doesn't change exe or version number) to cause Steam to have any issues (it mainly changes some faulty dialogs which affect different things/options to happen in the game). I don't think Steam is set up to pay any attention to anything but the version number (so it knows when to patch it). I even installed a no cd crack in the game Tombraider Anniversary that I have on Steam to be able to use Texmod to change outfits and Steam didn't even burp. I don't even need to open Steam to play Anniversary anymore.

Blacklash
10-28-07, 12:12 AM
It was an interesting game. For 10 bucks, try it. I still have some old custom maps and skins I made for it way back when burned on CD.

Amuro
10-28-07, 12:18 AM
It's a great game. I normally don't play RPGs but I'm a vampire fan, so I bought it at release years ago. Grabing people's necks and sucking their blood was really fun. If you're nice, you can stop just before their heart stops, or go all the way if you're evil.

I've never played Bloodlines, should I give that one a try?

EDIT
The one I played and enjoyed was Redemption.

mumstheword
10-28-07, 12:21 AM
I haven't played this since the release. I remember all the bugs it had. I feel like whipping it out again. Is there any texture mods or graphical improvements?

Mike89
10-28-07, 12:28 AM
EDIT
The one I played and enjoyed was Redemption.

Bloodlines is way better than Redemption. Redemption had that point and click movement which I hated (and never have played another one since).

The unofficial patches do not add any new textures or stuff like that. The code was never released by the game makers so no mods or graphic improvment could be done.

crainger
10-28-07, 12:30 AM
I haven't played this since the release. I remember all the bugs it had. I feel like whipping it out again. Is there any texture mods or graphical improvements?

As far as I know, there were never any graphic/texture mods made. :( Only the unofficial patches to address quests and general gameplay.

Amuro
10-28-07, 12:34 AM
Bloodlines is way better than Redemption. Redemption had that point and click movement which I hated (and never have played another one since).
Really? I would have picked Bloodlines up if I hadn't been so busy unlocking my Jedi in Galaxies back then.