PDA

View Full Version : raid defrag?

namuk
10-27-07, 07:12 PM
running raid 0 . 2 hard drives at moment and have defraged a few times mm allways says defrag system

never had this on single drive

question is do i defrag a raid set up? or just leave it?

also i am using raxo perfect disc

hokeyplyr48
10-27-07, 07:20 PM
yes you defrag a RAID 0 array. i know there are a couple types you shouldn't though.

namuk
10-27-07, 07:24 PM
yes you defrag a RAID 0 array. i know there are a couple types you shouldn't though.

am on raid 0 mate so i am ok to defrag ? wot types do i not defrag?

hokeyplyr48
10-27-07, 08:37 PM
yah you can defrag if your RAID 0. google it i'm not very sure or someone else here can lend some advice...

LordJuanlo
10-31-07, 06:16 AM
I have defragged both my RAID0 and RAID5 volumes, it's the same than a single drive. I use Roxio PerfectDisk for it.

namuk
10-31-07, 10:47 AM
I have defragged both my RAID0 and RAID5 volumes, it's the same than a single drive. I use Roxio PerfectDisk for it.

yea i am useing that

thanks all

evilghost
10-31-07, 11:05 AM
I've heard it said never to defrag a RAID system but I find that information to be inaccurate. The rationale behind the assertion is that the filesystem will never be contiguous because in a stripe or stripe w/parity the information is dispersed across the disks.

What I can say from experience is that system degradation as a result of fragmentation does exist on a multi-disk RAID-5 array and after defrag performance significantly increased.

I say defrag.

namuk
10-31-07, 12:11 PM
it is faster after defrag and boot times are better now i used the perfect disc on it